BMW 3 Series GT Reportedly Canceled, 4 Series Gran Coupe Lives On

3 Series, 4 Series, Rumors | August 8th, 2018 by 15
BMW 3 Series GT LCI5 750x500

Deeply hated by many and equally as loved by others, the BMW 3 Series GT was one of the most controversial models launched by the German brand in recent years. The Gran Turismo was meant to be a more practical choice for those looking for a 3 Series but it ended up just looking funny and being disregarded by many as the Touring 3 Series was still perceived as the better choice. According to our sources, the 3 Series GT will reportedly not be continued past this generation, which is set to go out of production in July 2020.

This might be sad news for some as I personally know people who love the odd shape of the 3 Series GT along with the extra space it brings to the table. However, if this decision was made, it clearly points out to the fact that sales figures were nowhere near what BMW expected them to be. At the same time, it sort of confirms rumors which appeared earlier this year, claiming that the 3 Series GT and 4 Series Gran Coupe will be merged.

2020 bmw i4 render 830x467

The latter model is apparently doing a lot better and will live on, the G26 version keeping its hatch intact as well as the frameless windows. However, even though the production of the current F36 4 Series Gran Coupe is scheduled to end in 2020, we’ll apparently have to wait another year after that to see the new model in the metal. This is probably going to be an important model too, as the 4 Series Gran Coupe is thought to be the basis for BMW’s future EV, the i4.

Whether the two will share design elements or not, they are likely to share a lot of their underpinnings. BMW said repeatedly that it plans to develop cars which can share different powertrains on the same assembly lines, from petrol to diesel and even fully-electric models which would fit this scenario.

15 responses to “BMW 3 Series GT Reportedly Canceled, 4 Series Gran Coupe Lives On”

1. mod9 says:

For once I agree with the decision. I didn’t when it came to the 6 series.

2. Central Lifestyle says:

Good. Now cancel the 6GT as well.

3. Philip George says:

It was as if BMW was using the 3GT and 4GC to fight Audi A5 Sportback. Make the 4GC a fastback and with GT-like practicality and space but still retain the lightness and sportiness. If 3 series is the sedan then 4GC should be a lighter and wider coupe fastback with emphasis on luxury and sportiness.

• Gabriel Nica says:

Lightness? The 4 series Gran Coupe is one of the heaviest cars bmw makes these days due to the reinforcements needed to offer those beautiful frame less doors. A 4er GC is usually close to 2 tons in weight.

• Alexander Lagos says:

Where did you read that? A dry N20 manual gran coupe is 1480 kg.

• Gabriel Nica says:

Didn’t read it anywhere, I tested a couple of them and none were under 1,700 kg. Dry weight doesn’t really matter in the real world, while the configuration you’re talking about is not all that often encountered. Furthermore, that’s the declared weight. In real life, after you start adding options, weight starts piling up. I wrote a review of a 430d GC a while back, you can find it in the test drives section, and it was over 1.8 tons. Maybe I exaggerated with the 2 tons earlier but it is a heavy car nonetheless.

4. Fred G. Sanford says:

BMW should begin a “retro-line”, meaning a series of new vehicles with styling reminiscent of their designs in the 80’s and before. This line would be a guaranteed hit. Retention of the current design language would please those who find it attractive while the “retro-line” would appease the other 75% of BMW fans.

5. Wout says:

I own a F34 330d GT (2014) and love it more than the two 320d tourings (E91 2007,2011) I owned.
    I love the higher seating position (I’m 6ft 4″), love the huge booth (easily fits the stroller, a travel bed and suitcase), extra rear legroom (when sitting next to our newborn / infant.). It’s just a superb (more) comfortable autobahn cruiser. Admittedly, it was not my first choice. But being a young family, it was the perfect car at that time. Looking into buying a new car by the end of the year. Since I do not need the space anymore I’m considering less practical options as well. ;-)

6. Anon says:

Wow, 4 GC going to be made through 2020? It’s already in desperate need of updating due to being based off the 3 series aside from exterior styling.

• Joshua Stein says:

I think the exterior has aged well, mostly because its more sleek and sexy with the fastback styled roof, but I do agree that because it shares its platform and well… everything else with the F30 it does need an update.

• Central Lifestyle says:

4GC isnt fastback though. It’s certainly a coupe but it’s slope into rear/rear hunches and tailgate’s flow to spoiler lip isn’t really “fastback”. Audi A5/A7, Panamera, AMG GT 4 doors etc those are fastback designs. 4GC and 6GC are not. Upcoming 8GC has a fastback profile going by M8GC concept’s looks. Hopefully, BMW makes next gen 4GC look like a smaller version of 8GC.

7. Leo says:

The horrendous 3 series GT was a mistake! finally they killed it.

My 2018 “tuned-up” 440 xi Gran Coupe is a great car; hands down the best model in BMW lineup.

It seems the 4 series GC will become the i4 EV, which will have everything going to give the Tesla Model S a run for its money.

8. Yan'g Monrutai says:

I agree that the design of the 3 series GT is weird, but I do love the big space and the price that is only a bit more expensive than 3 series sedan. If the 3 series GT merged with the 4 series, the price will go up a lot. It’s sad that we’re not going to have a cheaper choice for GT series.

9. Sandra Collins says:

I agree Yan’g Monrutai. Sad to hear. I LOVE my 2018 GT! It’s practical and roomy….and it’s not weird, its unique!