Well, summer is approaching and we’re all getting ready for the warm weather. Well, sort of, because the weather’s been so damn weird on the east coast that it felt like winter last week. So who the hell knows what’s going on. Anyway, the weather is supposed to be getting warmer and summer is on its way. So let’s talk about the best BMWs to drive during the warmer months.
Continue Reading Below
Driving in summer can be a ton of fun if you have the right car. The warm air allows you to drive with the windows or roof down, depending on the kind of car, and take in the warm weather. It also means that you can break out the sports car and have some fun, because tires and brakes won’t be cold and you can really push the car. So let’s see which Bimmers will be the most fun this summer.
5. BMW M4 Convertible – While a convertible variant of the M4 might seem like sacrilege to many BMW fans, as it just adds weight and loses some structural rigidity in the process, it’s still a great car. It’s still powered by the BMW M4’s 425 hp 3.0 liter twin-turbocharged I6 engine and still powers only the rear wheels. So it’s plenty capable of having a ton of fun. Except, the fun you’d be having in it would be amplified by the lack of roof. You can hear the exhaust that much better and the wind in your face at speed through corners, hopefully sideways, is pretty damn great as well. So while the M4 Convertible might not be the purists choice, it’s going to be incredibly fun in the summer, so who cares about purity when you’re having fun?
4. BMW Z3 M Roadster – These may be old, but they’re definitely still awesome. The BMW Z3 M Roadster is one of the coolest convertibles BMW has ever made. Maybe even the coolest. The standard BMW Z3 was built on the E36 chassis and is one of the more compact and fun convertibles on the second-hand market. It’s like a more powerful, more premium Mazda Miata, and that’s a grand compliment. But the M variant is an absolute riot. In the US, the Z3 M Roadster used the 3.2 liter S52 engine from the E36 M3 and it developed around 240 hp. That engine was mated to a five-speed manual gearbox and powered the rear wheels. That kind of power in that small chassis with the kind of sharp handling that it had made the Z3 M Roadster great fun to drive. Drop the top and it’s one of the best summer driving cars out there.
3. BMW E46 M3 – The E46 BMW M3 is widely considered to be one of the best BMWs ever made. It’s the best combination of everything a car enthusiast could possibly want. It’s fast, fun, dynamic, comfortable and good looking. Its steering is perfect and its 3.2 liter S54 engine is a masterpiece. US models put out 333 hp came with a six-speed manual or an optional SMG automatic gearbox. But the reason it makes a great summer car is because summer driving is about driving a lot. Road trips, vacations, long drives to the beach. Whatever the long drive may be, the E46 M3 is the kind of car you want to be in, because it’s practical enough to do so and it’s so much fun that you won’t want the drive to end. Driving an amazing sports car in gorgeous weather is what car enthusiasts dream about and there’s not many as that would be better to do so in than the E46 M3.
2. BMW 6 Series Convertible – If you want to cruise in comfort and style with the top down and a ton of power, the current F12 BMW 6 Series Convertible is for you. It’s a beautiful looking car with a fantastic interior and engines that provide gobs of power. Regardless of which model you choose, the 640i (3.0 TwinPower I6), 650i (4.4 TwinPower V8) or M6 (560 hp 4.4 TwinPower V8), the 6 Series packs a great engine with impressive performance. Its stunning looks and grand touring style make the 6 Series one of the best possible summer time, drop-top cruisers.
1. BMW M2 – What’s better than driving around in your brand new sports car in the summer? Driving around in that brand new sports car with a 25 year old Christie Brinkley, maybe. But that’s pretty much it. The BMW M2 is the hottest new BMW out right now and is the best car to come from BMW’s M Division in a very long time. It’s the kind of car that makes you want to keep driving it, all day long, everyday. It’s the kind of car you can drive for hours and hours and still want to keep going. That’s what summer driving is about, just getting in your sports car and just going. Nowhere to go, all day to get there. And the BMW M2 is the epitome of that notion.