Why will the BMW M2 only have four colors?

BMW M2, Interesting | September 25th, 2015 by 16
bmw m2 spied again germany 1 750x500

The upcoming BMW M2 is probably the most hotly anticipated BMW that I can remember. I don’t think I can think of another Bimmer that had as much buzz generated before its release than the M2. There’s good reason for this of course, the M2 is the spiritual successor to the transcendent 1 Series M and is probably the most perfect recipe for an M car since the E46 M3. One could even say that it’s the spiritual successor to the E46 M3 as well, as it’s roughly the same size, goes back to an inline-six engine and has somewhat similar horsepower numbers.

bmw m2 spied again germany 3 750x563

The BMW M2 will be a beast, there’s no doubt about it. It will be fast, fun and incredibly exciting. It will be good looking too, but we don’t have an exact idea of what it will look like, as most spied cars  wear heavy camouflage. However, we do know that it will only be available in four colors. Apparently, the only colors to be offered are, the official launch color, Long Beach Blue, Alpine White, Mineral Grey and Sapphire Black. These colors pretty much color the bases for what an M car should have, but there are some suspicious missing colors. There’s always at least one interesting red or yellow color, making it sad that there won’t be one for the M2, but at least there’s the beautiful Long Beach Blue.

BMW M2 Long Beach Blue 1 422x750

BMW M2 Spied wearing Long Beach Blue paint

A source familiar with the BMW production process says the limitation of colors might have to do with the fact that it’s being built at the Leipzig facility. This plant only has a small paint booth, with maybe 8-12 colors, and have numerous car models produced in the plant so it’s possible the Leipzig is a little tight on colors. The Long Beach Blue is the only new color of the four.

It’s actually kind of a shame that the M2 will only have four colors, regardless of reason. BMW M cars are famous for having awesome and interesting color options. The current F80/F82 BMW M3/M4 have some pretty amazing color options. I’m a particular fan of Sakhir Orange. These cool colors give BMW’s M cars something different over their competitors, like the Audi RS4 and Mercedes-AMG C63 S. Those cars are usually black or silver, but M cars are usually a crazy yellow or blue and that’s one of the best parts about them.

BMW-M2-spy-photos-1

Admittedly, this lack of colors won’t make the M2 any less desirable and it does look particularly menacing in black. The M2 is going to be fantastic regardless of what colors it comes in. Though, if I sell my kidney for one, I’m gonna get it in Long Beach Blue because M car.

16 responses to “Why will the BMW M2 only have four colors?”

1. dslindc says:

Hawt. That is all.

2. Stephen Garrett says:

Having such a limited color palette is stupid. Where’s Imola or Melbourne Red? Why no LeMans or Estoril Blue? No silver at all? Come on.

3. Paul says:

If I can make one request from editors on this forum. Please proof-read your content before publishing. For instance, look at your second last sentence: “Black, white or grey, the M2 will be awesome and look it”.

I love this blog, but I find there are too many grammatical errors.

• Horatiu B. says:

Duly noted. Sometimes we publish a lot so it’s tough to catch them all.

• The sentence “Black, white or grey, the M2 will be awesome and look it” was saying that it will be awesome and look awesome. Sorry about the confusion. No grammatical error, but I could have phrased it better.

• Todd Pham says:

You’re actually defending your work and not hang your head in shame?

What about this sentence: “Though, if I sell my kidney for one, I’m gonna get it in Long Beach Blue because M car.” What??

Or your response: “No grammatical error, but I could have phrased it better.”

4. Stoofwroof says:

“…at least there’s the beautiful Long Beach Blue.” Beautiful? Long Beach Blue is a feminine color, suitable for cars built for females. Cars such as the X4, X5 and that sort.
    The M2 design is an entirely masculine design and conflicts with the underlying feminine character of Long Beach Blue. In effect, an M2, painted in Long Beach Blue, conveys the same visual effect as would Arnold Schwarzenegger in a dress.

5. Kingsley Mpofu says:

It’s not that deep, just get your M2 wrapped

6. Ronald says:

I put a 1K deposit down on one, sales guy said I was the 3rd one at least in Mississauga. No details about accessories, colors or packages. They said they will call me lol

7. John says:

Last time I checked, BMW was a luxury brand. Having 4 options is the OPPOSITE OF LUXURY.