Unpopular Opinion: Just Let the Manual Transmission Go Peacefully

Interesting, News | August 11th, 2019 by 202
IMG 0053 830x553

Almost weekly, there’s a new opinion piece from an automotive journalist claiming that we all need to save the manual transmission, as if they’re part of some three-pedal crusade. To be honest, the large majority of car enthusiasts would agree with that sentiment, including us. However, after some thinking, I’m starting to change my tune a bit. Maybe, and I’m just saying maybe, we should let the manual die.

It’s no secret that the manual transmission is on its last legs. It doesn’t have much longer before it’s relegated to the same scrap heap as the carburetor and six-disc CD changer. There are two reasons for this; one is that customers simply don’t buy manuals anymore and the other is that manual transmissions are technically inferior, in every single measurable way, to modern automatics. So there’s only one reason to keep manuals around and it’s entirely emotional.

bmw m4 manual transmission 06 750x500

Enthusiasts like manual transmissions. That’s the really the only reason that most automakers continue developing them. Manuals are fun to drive, more so than any automatic transmission. They provide a connection between man and machine that no automatic can come close to replicating (although, Alfa Romeo’s aluminum paddle shifters are the next best thing).

So why should we just let them die, if they’re so good to drive? Well, for a few reasons. One is that, by keeping them around as long as possible, we’re just prolonging the inevitable. Even if manuals don’t die off soon, the internal combustion engine will anyway. So we’re going to see a future in our lifetimes when three-pedal gearboxes are no longer made, no matter how hard we fight. So we might as well just rip the band-aid off now. Keeping the manual around is like trying to keep a relationship alive when you know the other person just isn’t that into it anymore. Just let it go and move on.

Another reason is that modern manuals are rarely great anyway. There are a few exceptions, of course; cars like the Mazda MX-5, Honda Civic Type R and Porsche Cayman all have great manuals. But those are the exceptions. Most modern manuals just don’t feel great and the reason seems to be the fact that automakers simply don’t want to invest in a ton of fine-tuning for transmissions that will barely sell. BMW is among the most guilty brands of this, as almost every modern Bavarian manual I’ve driven has felt rubbery and vague. Plus, most modern manuals auto-rev-match for you, which most enthusiasts hate (I like it but, hey, I’m lazy). Some brands allow you to turn it off but others don’t.

Mazda MX 5 RF 16 of 39 830x550

Mazda MX-5 Shifter — One of the few great modern manuals

Finally, the last reason for me feeling like we should just send the manual transmission off to Valhalla is that I’m tired of car companies getting our hopes up. There’s always some engineer or product manager from a brand that claims they’ll continue to make manuals until the moment when they absolutely can’t any longer. Except that moment almost always comes immediately after that statement. No matter how hard brands try and claim that the enthusiast market drives their products, it doesn’t. Customers and corporate bean-counters do. And when the bean counters say there aren’t enough beans for row-your-own gearboxes, that’s it. No more.

So rather than just get our hopes up, over and over again, only for us to be let down, let’s just accept our fate and let the manual go. This is coming from someone who daily-drives a manual, by the way. I do love driving a proper gearbox and all of the nuance that comes with it. But my car is old and therein lies the answer; old cars with manual gearboxes exist by the ship-load. So buy your new car with a brilliant, easy-to-use, quick-to-shift automatic and have an old, classic sports car in the garage for when you need your three-pedal fix.

Or maybe I’m just overtired and need to lie down.

202 responses to “Unpopular Opinion: Just Let the Manual Transmission Go Peacefully”

1. Nice try says:

Ditch the manual and torque converter, slap DCT on every BMW then we have a deal.

• Glenn Carroll says:

Yeah, and then BMW can also die for anyone who actually likes to “drive”, and will become nothing more than a cheap status symbol.

• DLu says:

Please do not give me that nightmare!

• maxnix says:

I have had nothing but DCT for ten years and loved each one.

• DLu says:

PDK in a non-sports car is horrible. It’s not quite as smooth as a torque converter, but you don’t have actual control like a manual. I hate it (again, in non-sports car applications).

• maxnix says:

I have only driven in performance cars and not SUV so increased mass surely would not improve its performance.

• DLu says:

Well, there is our difference. I will need a 5-seat vehicle for at least another 10 years. The M5 has gone back to a torque converter auto. DCTs might be great for a 570S, but BMW does not make sports cars anyway.

• maxnix says:

Really want to drive a new NSX with 9DCT. I am certain it is nice, but probably a 2 grocery bag limit for cargo.

2. Jeremiah Mckenna says:

With the advent and fine tuning if the DCT, the “row your own” shifting days are long gone. Another issue is almost covered in this article. Manufacturers can’t really refine the manual transmission any more, regardless of the amount of money they throw at it.

• christiansmiller says:

The good manual transmissions are good enough to enjoy the fun of driving.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Yeah, and coming in second on the track or in a race is good enough? Not in my book. First is first, and second is just the first loser.

• christiansmiller says:

The PDK is fast. The manual is fun.

• maxnix says:

Precisely why 7DCT in manual mode is more fun than 6MT, not to mention perfect shifts every time.

• christiansmiller says:

What do you do with your left foot? Tap in time to oldies.

• maxnix says:

Per BMW PC lessons I brace myself if not LF Braking. That is why there is a dead pedal on the left side of the footwell, in case you were wondering.

• juan combrinck says:

kick manual drivers ass I guess

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Go drive the C8, and tell me it isn’t fun to drive. Drive the Porche 911 Carrera with one and then one without, and see which one puts a smile on your face. I’ll bet both do.
            Here’s a great demo/comparo video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzSuWuFagQ

• christiansmiller says:

Thanks for the great video. I think I’ll order the 2020 GT4Spider

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

The one in this article? You know, the one where they absolutely love the Dual Clutch transmission?
            “That something real starts with something new. And some straight talk. The turbocharged flat-fours in other Boxsters and Caymans are not as good as the sixes they replaced. Nowhere near it. But whining about the way things used to be doesn’t bring back the old days. Still we’ve found a lot about the latest generation to approve of, particularly in its 350- and 365-hp S and GTS trims that, when paired with Porsche’s excellent dual-clutch automatic, can run quarter-miles that just nip the 11s. But there’s far more to like about the 4.0-liter flat-six in the GT4 and Spyder, chiefly its friendlier, linear power build and, most of all, the raspy, stirring rip to its 8000-rpm redline. Sports cars are irrational, emotional devices for delivering sensory experience, and that steady pull and hoarse bawl are critical to the experience.”

• christiansmiller says:

Yes, long ago I admitted to myself that I was not capable of rational thought when it came to the automobile. Thank goodness.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

To each their own. I am left handed, yet use a right handed circular saw.
            In reality, I enjoy driving most cars, and it doesn’t matter if it has an automatic with a torque converter, a raw clutch and gear setting, a CVT or a DCT, I’ll still figure out how to get the best performance out of that particular vehicle, and have a smile across my face due to either pure enjoyment or from sitting on some sort of comfort. Heck, I drove a 1959 Chevrolet Apache stepside for several years, and that was one of the funniest vehicles I’ve owned. It got a lot of looks, compliments and laughs.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Also, who doesn’t want perfect launch control?

• DLu says:

DCT (PDK in my experience) needs to die (in the setting of street cars) when new torque converter autos are just as fast and much smoother.

• maxnix says:

ZF 8HP is not quite as fast shifting yet, but certainly adequate for the street.

I never have drive a BMW DCT nor a Porsche PDK that was not perfectly smooth on the street. But I have not driven a worn out version of either.

• DLu says:

PDK sometimes shifts into neutral, especially if coming out of Reverse, and can jerk if you go to D without waiting that extra few seconds. I have a 2017 Macan since new, so I don’t know about worn out versions either. I will keep it for a while (not a deal breaker, unlike the garbage steering in the F30), but still worse than a torque converter for a daily driver that has to carry the family.

• maxnix says:

Hmmm …. never experienced anything jerking when shifting into neutral since the transmission is just dead and spinning then.

• DLu says:

It’s a matter of “taste”. What feels like a “jerk” to me may be imperceptible to you. Just like how many people are perfectly happy with the F30’s (especially after 2016 LCI), but I find it unacceptably bad. Like I said, I want either the control of a manual, or the smoothness of an auto. The PDK is a compromise that might appeal to some, but I find it to have zero redeeming qualities when modern torque converter autos are just as quick-shifting.

• DLu says:

Correction: I mean the F30’s bad steering as a comparison.

3. marc sticken says:

I’ll admit, manuals are technologically interior to dcts, but no single automatic can reach the same efficiency and reliability of a manual, and dcts, while admittedly the best are beyond expensive, aside from the fact that the USA is the only Anti manual country, every other country in the world buys manuals in large numbers. Manuals will continue to exist on cheaper cars and on high end sports cars because of the inherent connection to the vehicle and their better durability and reliability.
    If you wanna drive a automatic daily, you do you, if you want to drive a manual daily also your choice. But you’re not gonna find many people Racing with a automatic.

4. John Klatt says:

Or people could just take the rail.

Leave the driving to people who enjoy driving.

5. mxq says:

I absolutely loved manuals until I got a F32 with sport 8 speed ZF.

I can do 5-6 gears well. I can’t comprehend 8 gears as well as this ZF. And the car is better with 8 gears instead of 6. So why bother?

I kept my old E92 with manual and still enjoy driving it, but in it’s own way. It surely is an inferior car.

6. Jesse James says:

This guy has no business being an automotive journalist.

7. Tony Guarisco says:

Driving is different from steering

8. MPertz says:

Gone are the manuals. Long live the automatics. I wouldn’t swap for a manual for nothing in this world. The “feeling” you get from a manual will never compensate for pushing non stop the clutch pedeal-acceleration pedal in a crowded city. And let’s not forget about the Auto Hold you get with an automatic transmission. Good article!

• Geoff says:

Maybe the real reason is you can’t drive a proper driver’s car (manual) & your opinion is masking your incompetence!?

• juan combrinck says:

or maybe he wants his car to be faster and better on fuel than yours

• Geoff says:

Oh yeh Juan maybe .02 of a second faster- if he knows how to shift a slop box properly.
          & when are you actually concerned about fuel when you drive a sports car!?
          If that is your priority drive a Toyota Yaris.
          My BMW M140I puts out 460hp in sports+ & in economy mode on the freeway hardly budges the fuel needle- best of both worlds.
          Small hatch- front horizontal straight turbo 6-rear wheel drive- 6 speed manual transmission.
          The recipe for a proper sports/drivers car😁

• maxnix says:

460 HP, even at the crank, is delusional for a B58 with stock turbo.

• juan combrinck says:

0.2 only to 60mph and only if you are shifting perfectly 99% chance of that not happening…and no no no the fuel consumption is just the cherry on the cake…can whip your ass while holding the money i saved on fuel in my one hand

• MPertz says:

Dude, I took my driving license on a manual transmission car. Being in Europe, I can f***ing bet I drove more manuals than you did in your entire life. I couldn’t f**cking care less about the manuals.

• Geoff says:

Like I give a fuck!?…
          Maybe cos you have never driven a proper car with a proper shift you obviously don’t get it.
          Keep driving your little automatic shitbox Peugot,Citreon or Renault & enjoy😀
          “Dude”.. I’ve been driving manual transmission for 30+ yrs so fuck you & your bet keyboard warrior.

• MPertz says:

OK Grandpa, you can shove it up your ass. Maybe there’s a reason why Lamborghini and Ferrari are not doing manuals…but as you’re an ultra fanatic for manuals, you can’t comprehend that. Maybe somebody should stir up in your brains with a manual stick.

• maxnix says:

How long have manuals been absent in F1? 20 years or more?

• Shep says:

I would rather drive a Focus with a stick than any Ferrari with an automatic.

• Shep says:

My VW with stick has auto-hold, too, lazy ass.

9. You Thana says:

I have driven both and 2017 i brought the manual M140i. The 8spd is ok for old, slow people or dull commuting but as soon as you start pushing it it becomes a real source for anger and frustration. 1st problem the program is coupled to the drive mode so you cannot have soft suspension and light steering but a fast responsive gearbox… using sport or s+ makes you drive with 4000rpm through villages… wtf!?
    2) Then you use manual shift mode and paddles… here we go, the ZF CANNOT SHIFT DOWN FAST MULTIPLE GEARS IN MANUAL MODE. First downshift is quick, second comes with a delay and third is painfully slow.
    3) paddles are small, too close to the steering wheel. Tactility and the audio feedback is not well defined. Feels mushy, rubbery and the sound is not very affirmative. Absolutely no comparison with the Alfa Giulia paddles, big, stable, firm tacticle feel and click sound.

I was thinking about the ZF but ultimately the only argument was pure fear of resell value loss.
    As of now i couldn’t be more happy with my decision because the manual, especially with the torque of that B58 is an absolute joy to drive and hoon around. Also daily driving is pleasant because… who needs 8 gears when you have 500NM in a very wide rev range at your command? 8 gears make only sense when you have a tiny little diesel or a small petrol machine.

10. Chris Callaghan says:

The first automatic I buy will be a car I don’t have to drive. I’m sorry. I get other people love automatics or DCTs or CVTs. I don’t. I get bored driving them. I’ll take my “slower” manual over an automatic every day. And I’ve commuted daily thru Boston traffic. “Journalism” like this should be taken with a grain of salt. This dude, and anyone else, has no right to demand manuals die. Don’t like them? Don’t buy it, plain and simple. No reason to arbitrarily affect other people who may want one, and limit their choice in doing so.

11. Robert Morris says:

The US drivers who buy BMWs as the middle class status symbols those cars have become and who don’t want to be bothered with actual driving should not be the standard by which all new car buyers are measured. I cringe at the thought of having to pay money for a car with an automatic transmission. Even the (Passat) station wagons my wife and I drove as young parents were manuals, and they were great. I get that most Americans want to drive boring cars. So many boomers and gen xrs got divorced that nobody had a father around to teach them how to drive stick. Their offspring live and drive in numb PRNDL ignorance. Now the rest of us have to pay for it. The result is that Audi won’t sell us manuals anymore, but they still market Audis as sports cars. The reality is that automatic transmission sports cars are pitifully lame. They generate derisive chuckles among the people who drive MX5s and Honda Civic Sports or SIs. “You paid how much for that and you drove away from the dealer in Drive?” Ha. You have not “arrived” if, when you got there, you had to put your $90,000 “sports” car in Park. Even Fast and Furious has difficulty making paddle shifting fun. The new Corvette, with no manual available, is just sad, sad, sad. Only a wannabe would drive that car. Bottom line: in my opinion, your opinion is merit-free. As long as there are gasoline engines, there ought to be manual transmissions available at decent trim levels for people who actually drive.

12. Miguel Ortiz says:

Let it die when internal combustion dies, but as long as it’s still alive, then keep the manual alive

13. JustAnOpinion says:

“Inevitability” is an illogical reason to give up something. Fully Autonomous vehicles are inevitable (some day), and if that day were coming soon and the government decided no one should be able to manually steer their own vehicle anymore, the correct attitude is not to encourage everyone to “just let it go” when it comes to steering their own vehicle. Some people love to drive (steer – brake – accelerate – shift), and shifting is a major add in driver involvement, and a driving is about being involved with the machine being driven. Sure, some people don’t want to drive at all and prefer be driven everywhere, and one day there may be articles claiming that only “macho” people, or people who have something to prove want to still steer their own vehicle, which is unreasonable thinking.

Let’s look at the idea of “Inevitability” a little further – We all inevitably go to sleep. So why make the bed? Why even wash the sheets? We’re all going to inevitably die, but most people still opt for chemotherapy if they’re found to have a form of cancer. The grass is going to inevitably get too tall, so why cut it? The car (truck – suv – sav etc) is eventually going to get dirty again, so why wash it? Why shower – why shave – why vacuum – why get a haircut ever again? We could go about this all day. Inevitability is not a reasonable case to “give up”. Imagine if everyone followed the concept of giving up due to inevitability.

14. Charlie Sutton says:

Granted that at 72, I am ancient – but I have never owned a car that was not a manual transmission vehicle. I want to drive, not just steer. There are cards that I would love to own, but will not buy because the manufacturers only offer them with a automatic transmissions. I would love a 3-series BMW convertible, but never will, because I can’t get one with a decent transmission.
    I intend to keep on driving vehicles with manual transmissions as long as I can drive. God willing, I will be able to, although I hope that I don’t have to buy an antique vehicle to do so.

15. DJ Ray Ray Boogie says:

I have owned a few manual transmission cars. I feel like there’s an investment in time and emotion that I’m not willing to divest from yet. But that’s what the article says. It’s about emotion at this point. I guess if you expect driving to generate positive emotions, then you still like manuals.

16. Jane foster says:

If you’re basis for manual driving experience is from BMWs, I would agree…..let the manual die. I’ve yet to encounter a satisfying manual BMW…from M3, M2, E90, z3/4 m non m….they pale in comparison to the rifle-bolt slot engagement from Type-r, nsx, s2000, rx8, Miata and frs. Personally I’d you cannot implement a good manual driving experience, just give it up. For those that could please continue.

Manual is about driving experience. It’s about the dance synchronization between feet and hand action during the drive. Manually sports cars continues to see a premium over their automatic equivalents in the used market. See Ferraris, 911, M3…. I foresee manual ICE sports car to be the toys of the rich as we march towards vehicular appliances.

17. {askew} says:

Probably true.. But I’m tearing up a little

18. Nathan L Davidson says:

“Another reason is that modern automatics are rarely great anyway. There are a few exceptions, of course; ”

Huh?

Anyway, the real reason to keep manuals is longevity vs. automatics.

Don’t quit your day job.

19. christiansmiller says:

Do you drive for transportation or do you drive for fun? I do both. I love our manual Porsche and I love our automatic Explorer. Transportation, get a self driving car or take Uber.

20. Shep says:

Here’s another unpopular opinion: any man who prefers/chooses an automatic over a manual is a pussy.

• heat_fan1 says:

And what’s wrong with being “a pussy?” Grow up, it’s 2019.

• Shep says:

And I suppose you think Antares Auto-Tune has made “music” better, too? Driving stick, I’m an artist. Driving automatic? I’m a couch potato with remote in hand. (But that being said, I’ll bid fond farewell to the stick when a greater variety of electric cars proliferate.) As for you, go ahead and be a pussy if you want. Me, I’ll continue pining for the land – i.e. Western Europe – where everyone drives stick and stays the HELL out of the left lane, the beer is superior, and the women all go topless at the beach.

• heat_fan1 says:

It was your choice of words, not your stance. I agree with the latter. The former is a little dated. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59e7c310e4b0153c4c3ec4f0

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Uhm, Yeah, even in Europe, the automatic is becoming the norm in new cars. Thank the powers that be for making emissions a priority the world over. And seeing as how automatic cars are more efficient now, than manual transmissions are or ever will be, the manual is a thing of the past. Also, add to that the auto is cheaper these days.

• Shep says:

Last time I was there, they were certainly more available than previously, but hardly the norm. (Meanwhile, whenever I Uber Europeans around here in D.C., they always comment on my driving manual and the fact that “everyone” in Europe has them yet no one does Stateside, so… ? I acknowledge you wrote “in new cars” after “becoming the norm,” and so cannot refute that, but when you rent a car in Europe, you still get a manual unless you ask for an automatic.) Either way, it’s hardly a new trend for Americans to prefer automatics, the bastards. It’s been that way for the entirety of my 35-plus years of driving. (But if they’d at least stay the F@#K out of the left lane, perhaps I’d be slightly more forgiving of their being lame-ass automatic buyers.)

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Me personally, I enjoy driving a manual equipped vehicle. But I am not averse to one with new technology that is better in many ways. I still enjoy the driving experience, regardless of the equipment.

Yes, getting sloppy drivers out of the left lane is a great start.
            Ever drive in the Seattle, Wa. area? For so many years, there are people that actually clock next to one another at the speed limit, or whatever limit they think you and everyone else behind you should be going. Then they sit there the entire way. Flash your lights twice and they slow down even more. A-Holes.

But the good thing is, a few years ago, right before I moved away from there, the State and local police started cracking down on these idiots. They would pull all of the offenders over, write them all tickets and then let them on their way to cry about their new driving awards.
            There were also a lot of PSA’s on the news and local channels concerning this.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

BTW, this is a great video that explains and actually shows the differences between two well equipped cars of the same breed.

• juan combrinck says:

But the guys with the auto will be at that beach first and take your ladys

21. This article was clearly written by a person who lives in the flatlands.

These are the reasons to own a manual:

1. Optimal control of engine on twisty mountain roads. Automatic engines offer overdrive-off or low/sport modes to simulate manual downshifts to take advantage of engine (transmission) braking. A manual gives you optimum control to select the best gear for the conditions. The very best automatic transmissions are still vastly inferior for selection of best gear given current driving conditions – especially in the mountains.

2. Way simpler transmission than automatic options (CVT, etc). Much cheaper to repair/maintain (electric vehicles are the only types have this beat – no transmission).

3. Dead battery? Push the car a few yards and pop the clutch. This saved me a half a dozen times over the years.

4. So much more fun to drive. Heavy stop and go Los Angeles traffic is the exception.

5. You’re not a mouth breather.

The Honda Accord V6 manual is an awesome manual (every Honda for that matter).

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

A CVT has way, way less moving parts than a manual transmission, and has less breakage and downtime than a manual transmission.

You can control an automatic in ‘twisties and hills’, just like a manual. This is true in everything from a car the size of a Honda Fit to a heavy hauler. If it were not the case, then OTR trucks would not have them. They need to be able to use the transmission in order to slow them down going down the hills and pulling the loads up the hills.

Fun? That depends on the driver, not the ride.

Yes, the Honda V6 Manual is an awesome manual, but not every Honda, especially the Fit, Prelude or Element to name a few.

Dead battery? Keep better maintenance and that won’t happen.

• Bob Gumm says:

CVTs are not less prone to breakage or downtime than a manual transmission. If anything, CVTs are more liklely to fail or break than a manual transmission. I know because I’ve experienced it firsthand. Typically manual transmissions don’t fail unless they are abused or are not serviced properly. If anything, a clutch is usually the first thing to go on a manual transmission, followed by the throwout bearing and the transmission seals.

• maxnix says:

That is part of the problem in that even gearshift hugging manual clutch pounding MT lovers are not as good as they think they are. Precisely why no high performance engines, especially with AWD, are offered with MT. Every shift has to be perfect and humans are not capable of that level of performance.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Actually, they are. Even Nisan has made a lot of changes to their earlier design. Look at the Toyota, Honda, and Subaru (to name a few) CVT, and you’ll see an extremely low repair rate. They have fewer moving parts, and it is controlled by a computer.
          I have seen manuals (controlled by humans) throw syncro’s, chew teeth and even grenade on normal use, and don’t even get me started on clutches. Heck, look at the Peugeot transmissions that wore out in the 90’s Jeeps on the regular from normal use, in under 20k miles in many cases.

22. CreeperGuy 555 says:

You probably have never used one, or maybe the transmissions on the BMWs are crap, just like the car itself.

23. Basedboys says:

I hate you. Id rather a manual than automatic any day

24. DawnofAnon says:

What an idiotic idea.

25. heat_fan1 says:

The click-baitiest of automotive click-bait articles.

Also “Keeping the manual around is like trying to keep a relationship alive when you know the other person just isn’t that into it anymore. Just let it go and move on” is totally incorrect. It’s much closer to that night before your love goes away to college, and you want to spend every last second with them. You’re still having a good time, why would you want it to end?

26. GMfan346 says:

Automatics are maddening to drive. It will upshift when I don’t want it to, doesn’t downshift when I need it to, downshifts too many gears when I don’t want it to, I can’t engine brake (do modern cars lock the converter on decel?), and I can’t coast then jump into the right gear from a roll. DCTs don’t give me the same clutch control I crave (2nd gear minor slip at low RPM when making slow-ish, tight maneuvers in parking lots, etc). Not to mention letting the car coast in 1st gear in traffic instead of every other two-pedal a-hole using the safety gap as a “dart in at the last second space.” Call it old-fashioned, I call complacency and laziness from the greater public. You develop intuition for how a vehicle works if you take the time to understand the dynamics of driving a manual.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

I call your diving style inaccurate at best. You can control an automatic like you can a manual, and yes, downshifting is possible.
      You are saying that by “coast” you mean the transmission is not in gear or the clutch is pressed in? If so, that is not the way to drive a manual transmission.
      You are not supposed to slip the clutch, period. It is either in or out, otherwise you are ruining your clutch.

“You develop intuition for how a vehicle works if you take the time to understand the dynamics of driving” ANY Vehicle.

• GMfan346 says:

LOL!! Whoa there, pal. Any automatic can be shifted manually? I’m not so sure they’ll take kindly to that without the proper valve body. Try that on a GM 4L60E and let me know how long your experiment lasts : )

You’ve never seen a red light at a distance, thrown the manual trans in neutral, then saw the light turn green so you know you can jump back into 2nd/3rd/whatever gear while still rolling, given that you sufficiently rev the engine? “That is not the way to drive a manual transmission?” OKAY.

Interweb speak loses a lot of context, without having to explain in long diatribe-worthy paragraphs. I’m no idiot and don’t slip the clutch for long periods or with excess RPM.

At the end of the day, I don’t give a shit what you think of “my driving style” given that you haven’t even witnessed it. You can love lazymatics all you want, but don’t be upset by those who have long standing gripes with them ; )

Carry on, mister personal attacker ; )

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

No, I don’t drive a manual transmission vehicle and coast in neutral, as that is not the proper way. It is in the appropriate gear for the engine and ground speeds. So if I am slowing down to stop at a red light, I either simply accelerate or upshift and continue moving. You know, the proper way. It is in gear, unless of course I am stopped.

And yes, you can move the gear selector from D to the lower gears when slowing down or if you need to pre-select the lower gear before you hit the accelerator in order to have instant acceleration and not wait for the detent and downshift.

• maxnix says:

All AT, like all MT, are not created equal.

27. gossard says:

oh just go and wash your panties.

28. Samuel Weir says:

“There are two reasons for this; one is that customers simply don’t buy manuals anymore and the other is that manual transmissions are technically inferior, in every single measurable way, to modern automatics. So there’s only one reason to keep manuals around and it’s entirely emotional.”

Actually, there is a one indisputably strong argument for manuals over automatics that the author completely overlooked: Reliability. Have never had a problem with any of the manual transmissions that I’ve ever owned. That’s about 40 years of driving manual transmissions.
    -Current owner of a Mazda MX-5 Miata (with manual trans.)

• maxnix says:

BMW “lifetime fill” is the cause of early replacement of AT. Even the manufacturers emphasize the importance of periodic mechanical replacement of the ATF. Additional auxiliary ATF coolers are often omitted also by manufacturers.

Just like a MT, AT work best with fresh fluid.

29. AmakusaShiro says:

well, how about NO, you little pussy..

30. Ron says:

Good article but I hate your line of thought. Even for small under 1Litre manual non-sports engines, you’d not compare the romantic drive to “steering” an auto. Long live manual transmission…

31. Mountainous Man says:

Cars have long been too fast for public roads, regardless of transmission. Like a mechanical watch, record player, fly fishing rod, etc, manual transmissions are about the journey as much as the destination.

32. Taco Suave says:

Or I can keep a manual just to confuse retards like you.

33. Don James Johnson says:

Manual is better autos suck

34. DLu says:

Sure generated a lot of comments …

I kind of agree that the manual transmission-equipped NEW car will disappear. The option to buy new is already scarce; maybe even in a few years, only “boutique” shops and restoration projects will churn out a handful of them a year.

However, they will not “die” — the internal combustion engine, along with the manual transmission, will become playthings for the ultra-rich one day. There is so much character, so much of it has been ingrained into our culture! People will relish in owning and driving one for centuries to come. Does it matter anymore at that point, when most of us can’t even seen one, when the “last” manual Accord coupe succumbs to rust? Does a P1 or Huayra matter today? I say, “YES!”

For the record, I also prefer manual for personal driving pleasure. ;) However, I laugh at those few who refuse to drive an auto because they clearly have no idea how to take advantage of an automatic transmission. BTW, I think DCT trans like the PDK need to die (for street-use cars). They are the worst of both worlds. As fast as the PDK is, newer torque converters have closed the gap in shift speed. It’s just not as smooth as a traditional torque converter.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

A DCT is ten times better than an automatic transmission, and you don’t lose the hp and torque that you lose through the torque converter. A solid clutch will always have more power than any hydraulic contraption.

• DLu says:

That’s in theory, and maybe you can see a slight advantage in racing situations. It does not make any difference otherwise.

BMW does not make race cars anymore anyway, just very fast and even faster luxury sedans. That’s why the new M5 has a torque converter.

• unretrofiedforu says:

and there’s the magic line: “…will become playthings for the ultra rich”…

Its pretty obvious; the writer got ‘his’ (i.e. is probably sitting speculating on some old BMW stick shift M car) so yawn hes done… and once BMW finally agrees – thats what the speculators love :)

But if you’re getting into the game now… if you wanted a stick shift M car … they’ve already confirmed they’re making a derated M3 so they can keep the stick, so they can discontinue it the following generation saying “nobody bought the pure models [except speculators]”….the speculators (aka the rich) will continue to win…

• maxnix says:

MY DCT and PDK I have driven have been ultra smooth in street driving, so I wonder about your experiences. Were they Ford and VW DCT?

• DLu says:

Street driving with zero start, stop, back, forward, etc situations, then the PDK is fine and can pass for a real auto. It is a Macan GTS 2017 if you want to know.

• maxnix says:

What is “zero start?” Are you manually pushing it from the exterior?

That could be the source of your complaints.

• DLu says:

My bad, poor grammar — I mean to say, if you don’t look at frequent start-and-stop situations, reversing, etc, then the PDK is fine. It is very smooth with upshifting and downshifting during forward motion.
            Compared to a torque converter, it lacks the smoothness.

35. Beeline says:

There is one reason why manual will not die anytime soon: cost. It is still the cheapest transmission and that is a big thing esp for low end cars. And in countries where manual is still the norm, despite all the advantages of modern automatics, this argument will still hold.
    It might die eventually if petrol engines dies due to electrification – a big if. Until then, it will be around. Regardless of emotions.

• Padraic O'Neil says:

Yes, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, cheaper to fix. They haven’t gotten around that yet. And you are right that car experts in Europe and America tend to think the market only depends on wealthy European and American drivers.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Manual transmissions are now poi d for pound less expensive than manuals, and are even lighter in most cases. They are more efficient as well, and we all know that lower emissions is the way to go.

• Bob Gumm says:

What, automatics more efficient and lower in emissions than manuals? Horse hockey! When was the last time you ever read that anywhere? Never ever, that’s when. Every make and model that has ever been tested on a chassis dyno has always shown the manual version puts more horsepower to the wheels than the automatic version and gets more MPG. Unless you are clueless that translates into the manual being more efficient than the automatic. That’s because an automatic has more parasitic loss than a manual transmission. Do you know what the automakers are doing to try to make automatics more efficient? They’re adding more gears to them and giving them electronic control systems. That translates into heavier transmissions with more moving parts. Often these “more efficient” transmissions are more prone to problems, breakdowns, etc. If you’re going to say something, know what you’re talking about or just sit, read and learn.

• maxnix says:

So wrong. Check out BMW highway mileage on AT vs. MT for the last 5 years. Simple reason: 8 speed >> 6 speed.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Absolutely not. I sold cars for sell over 14 years, and looked at the Monroney Stickers, which display the MPG’s of the vehicles. Comparing the auto to the manual, the manual has been getting left in the dust when it comes to MPG’s and efficiency. You can add as many gears as you want, and have a direct to flywheel clutch. But you can not be “in-tune” to the engineering dynamics with your two feet as much as the computers in the newer cars are.
            Parasitic loss is only seen as a problem at near WOT and up(no efficiency there). Newer torque converters have overcome a lot of that as well with lock-up.
            More gears and electronics are not really making them heavy, because as time goes by, the engineers are finding ways to either lessen the weight of hte components, or removing them all together. Look at the CVT, fewer moving parts, and they rarely wear out.
            Heck, even the DCT/PDK is less maintenance compared to the manual clutch. Can even last the lifetime of the vehicle.
            How do I know this? Because not only have I been a salesman of several different new brands and all used brands, I am also an automotive technician. Automotive technicians always have to learn the new technology that is coming out.

• juan combrinck says:

I work at a dealer and trust me ive never received a manual trade in that was averaging better than the auto…sorry to burst your bubble…Real life vs dyno I guess

• unretrofiedforu says:

well, theyre the only ones signing on the dotted lines… :)

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

Not at all. Automatic transmissions have gotten a lot less expensive to manufacturer, and are actually less costly than a manual transmission. Even in 3rd world countries the automatic transmission is becoming the norm.

• unretrofiedforu says:

This. Lots of changed the past 20 years; automatic is being built more/being accepted in the market more hence a lot of economies of scale have been literally reversed from producing Mts to producing Ats

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

That, and there are less and less parts in many of the newer automatics. Less parts mean less weight and fewer parts to wear out or fail.

36. juan combrinck says:

who cares modern autos are super fun …its like you people have only driven a 90’s auto

• Scott L. says:

I’ve driven modern autos are they have two big issues for me as compared to a manual. They down shift constantly for no apparent reason and go into what feels like neutral every time you let off the throttle. They have the ability to lock up the torque converter but never do. Most claim to have a manual mode but they basically do nothing. It will still shift to the next gear when the engine is redlined and most will downshift if you apply more throttle than it thinks is OK. Where they have improved is in shift time and firmness over older autos.

37. Kurt Aper says:

Unpopular opinion: We’re all going to die someday, it inevitable. The medical community keeps promising they’ll try to let us live a bit longer but ultimately it just won’t be possible anymore. We should just get it over with now…

38. Ricardo Rodriguez says:

I’ve driven a manual my entire life and will continue to do so. If you love driving then you buy a manual if you just want a box that moves then you buy an auto. I hope they will continue to be around for as long as I live.

39. Ted Ankrum says:

I want the auto companies to bring back the manual window cranks and the hand crank starters, too. How about rags for wiping down the inside of the windshield instead of that noisy defroster. Oh, and don’t forget kerosene-fueled headlights and horsehair stuffed seat cushions!

• maxnix says:

And manual engine timing on the steering wheels of brass era cars.

• joe smo says:

I would like them to bring back manual crank windows. All the automatic window cars i’ve owned the motor for the window goes out after a few years and costs hundreds to replace so i just lived with now rolling the windows down

• You Thana says:

I want a little mirror on the bonnet to view the exhaust colour and smoke screen size. Naturally i also want the controls to adjust the carburetor.

40. kormathaw says:

I’ve been a manual man my whole life. I finally got my first automatic that I’ve enjoyed driving. That being said, I drive the automatic in traffic. I drive my manual on the mountain roads.
    I see the point being made, but there are definitely situations that the stick is superior for more than just emotional nostalgia. Uphill driving (automatics are iffy at best at guessing when to downshift), downhill speed control, popping a clutch on dead battery (granted, haven’t had to do this since college, but still a nice option to have), and of course the number 1 reason, millennial anti-theft device.

41. unretrofiedforu says:

Tell us more about your ‘vintage’ BMW collection! A lot of stick shifts , BOUND to go up in value with articles like these :)

42. Manuals are dead:
    * manual extra actions while driving with zero tangible benefit – better focus that atention on speed, braking, steering, cornering and just enjoying the drive itself.
    * manuals above ~400hp it is basically impossible to design an efficient and reliable manual – gears get shredded by too much power
    * modern automatics shift faster
    * modern automatics consume less fuel
    * modern automatics can have 8-9 gears thus providing a better engine RPM to speed mapping
    * sportier cars provide all the manual control options anyway with manual modes and paddles
    * adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist is impossible with a manual
    * parking assist is impossible with a manual
    * automatics get much better starting power due to torque multiplication so can drive safely in situations where manualls either stall or spin out of control
    * automatics enable two-foot driving – one on gas, one on break that is much faster in racing scenarios as you can switch from braking on corner entry to acceleration on corner exit much faster, all high end race car drivers use this, plue it is also much safer as it make it impossible to accidentally mash the gas pedal thinking that it is the brake (as you us a different leg for each)
    * with much higher sales numbers automatics are now cheaper than manuals (when accounting for R&D costs)
    * it is basically impossible to create a good plug-in hybrid manual car due the way the integration of extra EV drive works
    * removing the stick allows much more creative interior design and efficient use of center console space

• Ross Lenoir says:

someone cant drive a manual and his friends pick on him about it. so he wrote this manifesto.

• Serenity says:

I don’t disagree with everything you have said.

Reacting is never as good as preparation and for the foreseeable future we will have manual modes to get around the automatics shortcomings.

Left foot braking in manuals is and has always been a thing.

Most things you like. Adaptive cruise, park assist take attention away from driving. Perhaps you just need a car that is more fun. Something manual.

• If parking in a tight spot or driving in a traffic jam is “driving fun”, then I do not want any piece of that. I’d rather be carving mountain roads.

• Serenity says:

I have a manual tarmac rally hillclimb car, and a comfortable car with a dsg. If I only had one it will be the manual rally car, driving a grabby clutch and peaky engine in gridlock or tight parking is still better than driving an automatic in mountains to me.

Downshifting half way through a corner is against everything you have ever been taught about driving a car correctly and entirely contradicts the reason behind left foot braking in the first place.

Obviously in a dedicated manual race car you have dog rings so there is no reason to use the clutch, simply shift while left foot braking. watch any WRC video that shows pedal box.

To do it in a syncro box

Pressing all three pedals at once is just heel and toe, seamlessly switch the left foot from the brake pedal with the right foot, clutch in, blip, shift, clutch out, switch right foot on brake back to left, and that’s how you do it.

look for extreme rally footwork videos and find one without a dogbox. To see it in action.

F1 cars have manuals, nascars have manuals, wrc cars have manuals. I like driving my dsg when I am lazy or injured, but I am honest about it.

By the time an automatic transmission is superior to a manual, cars will be driverless.

• Those are not manuals. There is no clutch pedal in F1. Those are automatics in manual mode. Big difference.

• Serenity says:

They have 4 paddles the wheel. Ones full clutch in. Ones clutch to bite point. Ones up gear. Ones down gear. There is a dial for adjusting clutch bite. Not an automatic. Also high bhp tolerant

43. maxnix says:

A lot of truth in your argument. There are no rational reasons to keep a manual option. Ever see an 8 speed manual in a car? Nope.

I noticed when I shifted to DCT (perfect shifts every time) almost a decade ago that in automatic mode it was teaching me that I held on to gears too long in manual mode.

Now I have to go out and save the DCT at BMW. Tough job because admittedly, the ZF 8HP is so good at everything and barely lags the DCT in shift speed.

• You Thana says:

• maxnix says:

Interesting no one else has said that. While shifts are not as fast as my DCT, they are not that far off. I recently drove a M340i and an M5C withe ZF 8HP and in manual mode they were probably in the 150 ms range for manual shifts. Automatic mode was good also with no miscalculations, but I did not run very hard in that mode. Just not sure why you had the experiences you had unless you were tap dancing on the accelerator.

• You Thana says:

The gearbox computer cannot handle sponatanious changes of the driving style. When you sail smoothly through a village in a high gear and on the exit you want to overtake a lorry fast, the last downshift will be done when you already passed the lorry. Tested with a 2016 M135i. I tested different scenarios and always found that the ZF struggled to do what i wanted. When driving in a spirited manner it felt uncomfortable (ferocity of the gear change) when i changed back to sensible smooth driving. Everything tested with different driving modes. In the end i concluded the software is trying to adapt, which the mechanics and salesmen at BMW told me is the case The result is however a horrendeous inconsistent behaviour causing me to stress out and being frustrated. The manual cannot do that, which is great – it gives me control over the stupid computer trying to do something impossible.

• maxnix says:

Very interesting. We never had that car in the US, but we have had cars with the ZF 8HP and the N55 like in the M235i. I never noticed that kind of behavior, but if one could achieve 8th gear (not previously possible in Sport mode), a downshift of two or more gears could be problematic, I suppose. Did you try the manually commanded downshifts with the paddles?

I drove an M340i recently and a M5C, and the transmission had a good command in automatic mode. Of course the M5C has so much power it is silly to even shift in many circumstances. I was glad to note that in Sport+ engine mode, the transmission did allow 8th gear for once.

I wonder if BMW just missed on coding in that model? That would be an egregious error on their part. You might try on another model like the M340ix (I drove the RWD model unavailable in Europe.) Another thing we do not have is the OPF filter so perhaps BMW did not reprogram that car to compensate for its addition?

• You Thana says:

Yes i was shifting with the paddles. The drive mode was in comfort, which is what you want when you run with adaptive suspension over ancient cobblestone. And yes, the mode influences shift speed and ferocity but not that much.

• maxnix says:

Not in my experience. It was only slightly slower than a DCT and held in gear nicely. This was both on a M5C and M340i with engine in Sport+ and transmission in Sport.

44. Steve says:

I love my 7-speed manual C7 Grand Sport. Much more involving to drive than a DCT. I like a good DC/automatic, but the driving experience (on the road) is definitely
    less connected. Lazy even. My $.02.

45. GWZipper says:

I recently purchased what is likely (regrettably) my last new MT car, a 6-speed Subaru Crosstrek. When I picked it up from the dealer, it had a paint chip in the door. I drove it for a week, then it went in to get the door re-sprayed. While in the paint shop, the dealer gave me the same car, but with a CVT. Gotta say, I absolutely hated the car. Total piece of crap. When I got mine back, I fell in love again and am sad that the MT will likely be dead by the time I make my next new car purchase.
    On papaer, the automatic transmission has evolved to the point where it is superior in just about every way – I’ll admit that. But to me, anyway, driving one just feels – creepy.

46. Dr Obnxs says:

All these companies (I’m looking at you BMW) that say they can’t make a MT for high torque/hp are blowing smoke. I read an article in Hot Rod about a performance shop that builds up Tremec 6 speeds to take 1200 hp. Mostly has to do with cryo treating gears, and they go to graphitic parts for near the sychros.

They just don’t WANT to build a better transmission. It’s not that they can’t.

• cnet-970ad33b278bd3b05502252be3640ea5 says:

GM claims they couldn’t find any takers to manufacture what would basically be bespoke manual transmission orders for new Corvette. When did Ferrari stop offering manuals on their mid-engines?

47. Zaphodtheprez says:

I love the visceral feeling of driving a MT car and will always own one as long as I can drive and and afford to keep it on the road. It’s definitely about the emotion I feel when driving.
    If I have to give it up, I’ll get an electric car which seems like whole new exciting world to occupy my interest and enthusiasm. I’ve just never felt that way about ICE+Auto or Hybrid except for when I leased a GTI with DSG. For two months it felt as fun as playing a video game – click the button and let the programming do the rest…blip,shift,zoom. For the next three years and ten months, I left it in D and waited to lease a manual again.

48. Tim says:

yeah, sure, there’s more money in making automatics, but as others posted here, I’ll keep buying manual transmission cars until there are none left. i always buy new cars, but i think in 5 years i’ll be forced to buy used just to get a manual, and in 15 years there will be no manuals left. maybe by that time self driving cars will be viable and i won’t have to drive an automatic.

49. Shep says:

Look, there are really very few – if any – logical reasons to buy a manual over an automatic anymore (performance, efficiency, blah, blah, they’re all better or at least equalled by automatics now), but there are also few logical reasons to have sex beyond trying to procreate. In both cases, however, it’s about PLEASURE, and if you REALLY love to drive and be engaged in the experience, you prefer manual, end of story. (And, if you don’t, you’re probably more likely to invest in vibrators and such for that other aforementioned act rather than rely solely on your God-given assets.) That being said, the only thing “dumber” and more archaic than a manual transmission is an ICE, and electric cars will soon prove their superiority in every way (efficiency, torque, quiet, emissions, etc.), while thankfully putting this inane transmission “debate” to rest forever.

• You Thana says:

100% agree, Catchpole nailed it. This also applies to cars that are not considered as a sports car.

• Zaphodtheprez says:

We put Henry, “it also rewards more deeply” is an elegant way to summarize how it feels to drive manual vs. auto.
      Sadly, I’ve never been in the drivers seat of a GT3, but I have been in The Alpine Coffee shop and Londis at Betws-y-Coed.

50. Stick Shift Senior says:

Don’t let the manual transmission die!!! I am a 73yo female who loves driving my manual transmission 2014 Mustang GT all summer. What I have learned is that driving a manual keeps me focused on driving because I have to pay attention to change gears. When I drive an automatic transmission it’s easier to lose focus and forget where I am going.
    I am suggesting that seniors learn how to drive manual transmission because it allows one to
    1) stay focused
    2) learning to challenge their brain
    3) using both feet
    4) being in control of living in the moment.
    I will always drive a manual transmission because I believe I am maintaining my brains function after teaching for 35 years. I still have a passion for learning and I know that learning has no expiration date.

51. Charles Feeney II says:

Dont let them die in fact they need to be brought back in mass numbers, people need less laziness in their lives as well as they will focus on the road more.

52. FT Sojic says:

I live in a snowy state where the temps are below freezing (with the possibility of snow) 8 months out of the year. I buy manuals because they’re better in the snow. Not going, that’s what traction control or AWD is for, but stopping. Engine braking seems like a strangely overlooked feature in modern autos, but is crucial to long-term winter driving. I have way way better control in my manual jetta than I do in my newer automatic jetta. They both share a chassis, they both share the same feature set. They’re different only in the number of miles and the transmission.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

You can still hear down in CVT, Automatics and DCT’s, just like a clutch and flywheel manual transmission. Indo it all the time.

53. vmoutsop says:

That’s the biggest load of Dung I’ve heard on the subject. The only reason to get rid of the manual is because companies are just cheap and want a one size fits all solution. By pushing the auto’s they’ve “intentionally” changed the market because of “COST” not preference. We Americans are just too dumb to notice. Once you learn to drive a manual, “most” people prefer it. Look at the Aussie’s, try taking away the manuals from them and see what happens.

54. darex says:

Question: Most new automatic cars come with tiptronic shifting and/or paddle shifters. Does anyone actually use them on a regular basis? I only buy manual transmission cars (e.g. my 2018 MINI Countryman S All4, which I bought only because the X1 isn’t sold with a manual in North America). I once had a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter, which is an automatic scooter (CVT) with tiptronic clutchless/”manual” shifting, as an option. I played with it a few times, but basically felt idiotic doing so. It just felt pointless, as the auto did a better, less clumsy job, and the shift ratios were completely artificial/simulated anyway. I never used it again, beyond that. More to the point, it felt NOTHING like the experience of driving a manual transmission car. I’ve had a few rental cars, where I tried it, and the experience was very reminiscent of that in the Suzuki Burgman. I’ve ever since considered such a feature on an automatic car to probably be just a silly gimmick, that auto journalists obsess over, but probably 90% of people never use in real life.

Am I right?

• You Thana says:

I repeat something i wrote here:
      “BMWs ZF8spd is pathologically slow when ran in manual mode, shifting down multiple gears fast. It can’t do it fast unless it’s in D. I didn’t want it in D because otherwise i had to switch the drivin mode often… overall it was a hopeless frustrating experience compared to a manual which just did exactly what i wanted.”

In short: manual shifts with the ZF8spd really can be frustrating when pushing hard. The paddles are also very unpleasant i think. Too small, mushy feel, no affirmative click, just no comparison to the Alfa Giulia paddles.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

I use them in cars so equipped. I sold a lot of cars with them, and had to show the clients what they were for and how and when to use them. You’d be surprised at how many people weren’t aware of them or how to use them. A lot of people were surprised at how they made the vehicle more responsive, and you don’t need to worry about the clutch or skipping a gear or over revving etc.

55. Chasen Brandon says:

How to reduce texting and driving, distracted driving. Put more manuals in to production. Driving is a job and you better do it right. Your life and everyone else’s is at stake. I want drivers that pay attention to the road and traffic. You honestly think making things easier is better well you are wrong. People need fear that’s how we progress. Fear of losing your car because you didn’t shift because you weren’t paying attention. Quit making things easy this is happening way to much. Generations are getting worse and worse because there is less and less hardships and struggles. If you can’t drive a manual you shouldn’t be allowed to drive. Now disability is another story. Take the bus if you can’t do your job. P.s. autos suck especially when you need them to upshift or downshift and they don’t do it in time. I know what is up ahead I know what gear I can stay in or can’t they do not and ruin my mpg.

• Jeremiah Mckenna says:

An auto can have the same reaction. You can select the gear so that it is ready when you push the accelerator pedal, or need to slow down etc.