Spent some time with the new BMW X3 M, and Yes, still has camo on it

BMW X3 M | February 16th, 2019 by 16
2019 BMW X3 M live images 6 830x553

Just like we did yesterday with the new BMW X4 M, we are now bringing you the first live photos of the BMW X3 M. Before we start to see the ironic comments pouring in, allow us to clarify some things.

Yes, the new X3 M and X4 M have been fully unveiled by BMW just a few days ago. The embargo on the official car is lifted, so BMW of North America was kind to let us attend a closed room event where not only the two M SUVs were presented, but also the upcoming X5 M and M8 Coupe. Because the event requested to leave our cameras and phones behind, no photos are available, of any of these cars.

2019 BMW X3 M live images 5 830x643

We did ask to photoshoot the X3 M and X4 M, but an unfortunate eight hours long pouring rain in Palm Springs changed the plans to bring the cars outside of the closed room for the photoshoot.

So the next best thing we could have done was to film the new M SUV in their pre-production form with the light camouflage on it. While it’s not ideal, we can at least give you an overall impression of the design, in real life, and see the cars’ proportions.

2019 BMW X3 M live images 3 830x534

Powering the new BMW X3 M is a newly-revised version of BMW’s B58 engine, now dubbed the S58. It’s still a 3.0 liter inline-six cylinder engine but it’s been given a comprehensive M Division upgrade, to make more power while also making it more usable on the track.

All of those tweaks and upgrades give the BMW X3 M a very healthy 480 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque. The latter of which is available from 2,600 – 5,600 rpm, giving it a nice, flat torque curve right in the middle of its rev range. According to BMW, it’s capable of 0-62 mph in 4.2 seconds but we reckon it will break into the three-second range in reality.

That engine is paired with an eight-speed automatic gearbox and an M-tuned xDrive all-wheel drive system.

All the tech details can be found here.

U.S. pricing starts at $69,900 for the X3 M and $73,400 for the X4 M; the Competition models will set you back another $7000. Made in the United States, they will be at dealerships starting in mid-July.

First reviews will hit the web and print magazines in June, so stay tuned for that event.

16 responses to “Spent some time with the new BMW X3 M, and Yes, still has camo on it”

1. Jt88 says:

Thoughts on the X5M and M8 also was the X5M similar to the X3M?

• Horatiu B. says:

Can’t really talk about it yet, embargo, but I’ll leave you with this – X5 M = HOT!

• Jt88 says:

I cannot wait BMW has been killing it with the M lineups

• Pilz says:

When’s the embargo lift?

• Rev Mike, Esq. says:

It’s also extremely overpriced. Has been for it’s whole life. When you can get a 700hp Jeep for under $90k (plus many dealers are giving discounts), why pay $110k to start for the BMW with 100hp less? Having owned both, a first gen SRT8 and first gen X5M, which at the time had a $50k price difference, I’d have a very rough time choosing the BMW over the Jeep in 2020. Frankly, I’d have a very hard time choosing ANY BMW once my X3s lease is up. Pricing is up, styling is awful, and BMWs badge isn’t worth what it once was. And I’ve already told my dealer that. Unless they can get me another killer lease like I currently have, I’ll be getting my next car elsewhere.

• cnet-970ad33b278bd3b05502252be3640ea5 says:

Guess you missed the latest J.D. Power, BMW are top 10, Jeep bottom. There are reasons BMW charge a premium & always have, if you’re shopping M on price you’re kind of missing the point. Given the 0-60, who cares what the hp difference is? Except @ the pumps. Been a long time since I’ve driven an FCA (why?) but last used Durango I drove was pretty much literally a land barge in terms of driving.

• Rev Mike, Esq. says:

Yet my experience shows the exact opposite. The SRT8 was far more reliable than the X5M. In fact, both of my SRT8s, a 300 and the Jeep, were dead reliable, while 3 out of my 5 BMWs were at the dealer at least once a month.

• IbizaBMW says:

Looking forward to both the X5M F95 replacing my current ’18 F85 in 2021 and M8 coupe replacing my F83 in 2010. A colleague of mine saw the M8 coupe at the BMW Brussels Brand Store last month, looks identical to the December 2018 photos, with November 2019 availability, at least for Belgium. No need to comment, training next week at the BMW Winter Test Center Arjeplog for 5 days and will be sure to ask the M engineers. BMW M held back the X3M 0-60 times so the F95/F96 is a published sub 4 sec monster.