Sales of BMW brand vehicles in December totaled 34,625 compared to 41,526 vehicles sold in December 2014. For the year, BMW brand is up 1.8 percent on sales of 346,023 compared to 339,738 from last year, breaking last year’s all time sales record.
“The new sales record in 2015 is the third record year in a row for BMW with the numbers further emphasizing the growth of luxury trucks, which are now one-third of BMW sales in the U.S.” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “I fully expect our Sports Activity Vehicles to be the key driver of growth in the new year with both demand and availability increasing. As the maker of the Ultimate Driving Machine, the record sales of our high-performance BMW M brand in the U.S. is especially satisfying and we are looking forward to the new M4 GTS and the all-new M2 coming this year.”
Of note in 2015:
The BMW X5 set a new sales record with 54,997 sold, nearly 17% more than 2014. The BMW i3 EV in its first full year of sales in the U.S. reached 11,024 sold.
The BMW M brand set a new U.S. sales record with 14,504 cars sold, an increase of 68 percent over 2014.
BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported December sales of 39,634 vehicles, a decrease of 17.7 percent from the 48,141 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. At year end, BMW Group (BMW and MINI combined) is up 2.2 percent on sales of 404,537 compared to 395,850 in 2014, a new record for the BMW Group U.S.
MINI Brand Sales
For December, MINI USA reports 5,009 automobiles sold, a decrease of 24.3 percent from the 6,615 sold in the same month a year ago. For the year, MINI USA sales are up 4.3 percent to 58,514 compared to 56,112 in 2014.
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- Sales of BMW Certified Pre-Owned increased 11.8 percent to 11,176 vehicles compared to the 10,000 vehicles sold in December 2014. For the year, BMW Certified Pre-Owned sales increased 12.5 percent to 115,903 compared to 103,040 in 2014.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned sales were 19,339 in December 2015, a 12.8 percent increase compared to December 2014.
- The Total BMW Pre-Owned cars sold in 2015 were 187,169 a 5.0 percent decrease from 2014, due to low availability.
MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In December, sales of MINI NEXT (certified pre-owned) were 981 vehicles, up 12.0 percent over December 2014. For the year, MINI NEXT (certified pre-owned) sales increased 23.1 percent to 11,621 compared to 9,444 in 2014.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales for December were 2,279, an increase of 9.4 percent from December 2014.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales for 2015 were 26,778, an 8.1 percent increase from 2014.
BMW Motorrad Sales
With 16,330 sales in 2015, BMW motorcycles established a new all-time record, 9.3 percent above the total of 14,945 units sold in 2014.
With 1,210 retails in December, BMW motorcycle sales declined by 22 units or -1.8 percent compared to the 1,232 units sold in December 2014.
The R nineT was one of the top performing models in December with 138 units (+134%) delivered, and in combination with the new R 1200 RS, helped grow R-Series model retails by 21 percent to 575 units compared to 477 in December last year. F-Series middleweight machine sales also grew by 11 percent in the month with sales of 235 units compared to 211 the prior year.