Why Does BMW Need To Keep Building the X5 M and X6 M?

BMW X5 M, BMW X6 M | December 19th, 2014 by 12
new bmw x5 m bmw x6 m images 02 750x500

I remember first seeing the X5 and X6 M at the New York International Auto Show. They reminded me of those giant war elephants Colin Farrell fought in the movie Alexander; massive, powerful yet surprisingly nimble, for their size. They amazed yet befuddled me. They seemed like vehicles that had no real purpose other than to just be monstrously powerful people carriers. Sure they were blindingly fast and quite agile, despite their 2.5 ton curb weight, but they weren’t really driver’s cars.

So why would BMW, the creator of the Ultimate Driving Machine, make them?

new bmw x5 m bmw x6 m images 04 750x499

It seems, now, that the reason they make these speedy behemoths is to keep up with the other kids on the block. Porsche makes the Cayenne Turbo, Mercedes makes the ML63 AMG and even Jeep makes the Grand Cherokee SRT-8, so BMW needs to compete. Even though this car segment seems to be pointless, vehicles that big heavy will never be true driver’s cars regardless of how much horsepower they throw at it, the cars are selling. There’s no denying the success of the segment, despite the bewilderment its existence may cause. I’m not entirely sold on this idea of a performance SUV, and to be honest I don’t think BMW is either.

But BMW has found a home for their M SUVs with the previous generation, around 11,000 X6 M models were sold to customers worldwide, while the X5 M was delivered to 9,500 customers.

new bmw x5 m bmw x6 m images 01 750x499

With the original models, to make them M cars, BMW just took their biggest engine, stiffest suspension and most aggressive xDrive setup and stuffed it all into the X5 and X6. While Porsche took their time and made the Cayenne Turbo S something that genuinely blended the line between sports utility vehicle and sports car. The Cayenne Turbo seemed like a work of genius while the X5 and X6 M seemed like mongrels.

BMW claims that these new models don’t mess about, however. BMW claims them to be lightened (even though they still weigh as much as small aircraft carriers), with more power and more capability. They’ve tweaked the chassis, added rear air-suspension, fitted stiffer shocks and springs and lightened the whole car. They’ve also added bigger, yet lighter, brakes, and bumped the horsepower output to 567 from 555.

new-bmw-x6-m-images-12

There are also some nice exterior and interior touches to complement the performance mentality. Will all of that actually make a difference; will all of that hard work and cutting-edge technology really make these elephants dance? Who is buying these SUVs and are they really taking them to the track? I’m still not buying it and I still don’t think BMW does either. I think this is a car BMW must make to take some market share away from Porsche, Audi and Jeep.

I’ve yet to drive either of these two, so I can’t say for sure whether or not they can perform as well as advertised, but I’m willing to bet that they can’t. The most important ingredients in the recipe for performance (low curb weight, nimble chassis) just aren’t there. Maybe I’m wrong, and I’ve been wrong before, maybe BMW were able to truly recreate the war elephant.

We look forward to a track day aboard the new M SUVs!

new-bmw-x6-m-images-07

Nico DeMattia also writes at TheEngineBay

12 responses to “Why Does BMW Need To Keep Building the X5 M and X6 M?”

1. Rokie888 says:

…good post. even though I disagree…

2. CDspeed says:

I think if any M car went plug-in first it should be the X5 and X6 M. They could both be made into high performance plug-in hybrids like the Porsche 918, or Lamborghini Asterion. The benefits would be especially good in these high performance SUVs because they are still family cars, and they could be high performance, and highly efficient at the same time. They’d make more sense around town, and you could still have some fun.

3. Pevvex says:

Well i just ordered X6M today in fact . It is much better M car for my needed than any rear other wheel drive M.
    Don’t take me wrong I had or have other M most of few M cars.
    X6M it’s pure M car just for different customers needs. I guess I am one of them. I want to enjoy M performence with everyday driving during the summer winter and rainy days . I don’t want to drift of go sideways. I want to avoid all this kind of expirience that why x6m fits the bill for me perfectly. Actually this new generation X6m and X5m are very different from previous models.
    U will understand what I am talking u about when u drive one.
    U will know what I mean if u avoid making mistake!!!!! taking his car to the track. This is everyday M car it’s not a track car. For track I have M5 and M4. X6M is better version of M5 for my needs everyday and M4 stays for fun or track.

4. Mike Vella says:

Never underestimate the appeal of pointless vehicles.. :)
    When you think about it, any luxury/performance vehicle is rather pointless, but we drive them for a variety of reasons.
    If you’re fairly well-healed (or like to go into big debt to show off) these SUV’s are pretty awesome – sporty, yet actually useful if you don’t mind shelling out 100K.

On the lower-priced spectrum for BMW, the little 2 series is a lot of fun for the money and gets good MPG to boot. You could buy a 2 door Accord, but..

• Pevvex says:

Don’t take me wrong but usually when people say “pointless car” they simply can’t afford one . Not talking about X6M but about many strange unique cars that usually very expensive to buy and to run.
      There is plenty of great BMW cars they all share same unique passion specialy M cars.
      The beauty part is u can pick what u like and I simply love tank call x6m ^^

• Mike Vella says:

I don’t think you understood the point of my comment at all.
        You might want to re-read what I wrote in full from start to finish.
        Maybe twice.

• Mike Vella says:

I don’t think you understood the point of my comment at all.
        You might want to re-read what I wrote in full from start to finish.
        Maybe twice.

5. sasabeach says:

why would anyone post an article on a car they have never driven?