For many cars, the integration of a gasoline particulate filter negatively influences the performance, but in the MINI John Cooper Works models, it is the other way around: Because the newly prescribed particulate filter was necessary and restraint does not fit the JCW models, the English marque has opted for the strongest option available. In plain text: The top models of MINI Clubman and Countryman now come with 306 hp!
This is the strongest production four-cylinder and BMW has already installed it in the X2 M35i, but with more models to follow. The 306-hp version of the turbocharged four-cylinder BMW B48 will also used in the new M135i F40, in the M235i Gran Coupe and in the upcoming MINI John Cooper Works GP.
Thanks to their new engine design, John Cooper Works Clubman and Countryman secure the title of the strongest series production MINIs ever made. Compared to the previous engine, the new units delivers a jump in performance by a whopping 75 hp, which corresponds to an increase of over 30 percent. The maximum torque climbs by 100 to 450 Newton meters. Thanks to eight-speed automatic, it is also ensured that the right gear is there for every situation.
Not surprisingly, given these numbers, standard sprint performance also improves by around 1.5 seconds: The new MINI John Cooper Works Clubman sprints from 0 to 100 in 4.9 seconds, while the slightly heavier Countryman only needs two tenths of a second more.
To bring the power on the road, the ALL4 all-wheel drive of the MINI JCW Clubman and Countryman is now supplemented by a mechanical differential lock on the front axle. The X2 M35i known locking differential works with a locking effect of up to 39 percent, is fully integrated into the DSC and helps, especially with the front wheels, to convert the torque into propulsion instead of a spin-wheel inside.
The kinematics of the chassis was modified on the front and rear axle, at the same time, the rigidity of the components was increased and their weight was reduced. Newly designed swivel bearings make higher camber values possible on the front axle. Optionally, both models can be equipped with adaptive chassis.
Summary of highlights: The new MINI John Cooper Works Clubman and the new MINI John Cooper Works Countryman.
• New 4-cylinder engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo technology
and 225 kW/306 hp with 450 Nm.
• Increase in output compared to the previous models: 55 kW/75 hp.
• Cooling concept incorporates know-how from the race track.
• New exhaust system with remarkable sound development and
Petrol particulate particulate filter compliant with the Euro 6d-TEMP standard.
• MINI ALL4 all-wheel drive as standard.
• New 8-speed Steptronic sports transmission with integrated mechanical differential lock for the front wheel.
• Model-specific chassis design and coordination.
• New bigger John Cooper Works sport brake system.
• Extremely rigid body structure, motor connection and chassis fastenings.
• New LED headlights with Matrix high beam function
and LED rear lights in Union Jack design in the new
MINI John Cooper Works Clubman.