VIDEO: Jay Leno drives the Mercedes-Benz EQC

Interesting, Videos | January 7th, 2019 by 9
Mercedes Benz EQC 6 830x553

Okay, before you ready your pitchforks and prepare to burn me at the stake, give me a moment to explain my posting of a Mercedes-Benz review. Electric cars are incredibly important for the future of the industry. BMW has its fair share of electrified vehicles in the works, with one of its first ones to come to market being the BMW iX3. That makes the iX3 one of Bavaria’s most important machines. What is one of the iX3’s main competitors? The Mercedes-Benz EQC.

We’re also not fanboys. We’re car enthusiasts who can appreciate great cars from any brand, even rivals of BMW. So it’s fascinating to see what Mercedes has been working on in this segment. Which is why, when Jay Leno drives the Mercedes-Benz EQC, it certainly piques our interest and, if you’re a car enthusiast, it should pique yours as well.

Mercedes Benz EQC 4 830x551

In this new video from Jay Leno’s Garage, Mercedes-Benz Powertrain Testing Engineer, Bastian Schult brings the EQC by for the famous comedian/car-nut to test.

So what is the Mercedes-Benz EQC? In a nutshell, it’s an all-electric crossover based on the GLC-Class chassis, except its wheelbase is longer and it features dual electric motors. Those dual electric motors will produce about 400 hp and its battery is capable of just over 200 miles, according to Schult.

On the outside, it looks like a completely normal Mercedes-Benz SUV. In fact, it just looks like a GLC-Class with a new grille. Which makes a bit of sense because it’s built on the same production line as the GLC. On the inside, it’s also pretty standard Mercedes-Benz styling. Which isn’t a bad thing, as it’s a nice interior, but it’s just not a radical looking EV on the inside.

Mercedes Benz EQC 1 830x404

But, more importantly, what’s it like to drive? Jay Leno takes it for a test drive with Schult riding shotgun and it seems to be a fairly unremarkable experience. That may sound insulting but it’s not. Along with the Audi e-tron, the Mercedes-Benz EQC seems to be aimed at offering a relatively normal driving experience for customers that aren’t sure about the whole EV scene. It’s a way to get traditional buyers more on board with going all-electric.

So the EQC seems to drive like a normal Mercedes-Benz SUV, just with a lot more low-end torque and with a lot less wind/road/engine noise. So it’s incredibly quiet, comfortable and relaxed. It also has great tech and a lovely cabin. So when the Mercedes-Benz EQC finally does go on sale, a lot of them should find homes quickly, as it offers basically the same driving experience that Mercedes customers are used to with the added advantage of being all-electric.

We expect the BMW iX3 to be quite similar, in terms of driving experience. It’s likely going to look, feel and drive like a typical BMW X3 but only without a gasoline engine. It does seem like the Mercedes-Benz EQC is better than we expected it to be, though, so the BMW iX3 is going to have its work cut out.

9 responses to “VIDEO: Jay Leno drives the Mercedes-Benz EQC”

1. Eddie says:

Beautiful vehicle ! Should sell well! Where is the front trunk?

• BR911 says:

Hmm, am I the only one who really hates the front design look of the EQC? It lost everything that I really like about the GLC’s sleek and streamlined front fascia. This one looks more like a Ford/Hyundai front. Also, the body looks okay at some angles, but I find some other angles make it look … fat and not sleek (sure, I know the batteries have to fit somewhere but it don’t think it should have ended up like this).

• cnet-970ad33b278bd3b05502252be3640ea5 says:

Thought the same thing, rather than innovative new design seems more generic – grille is not an improvement & profile seems elongated. Does this make it more appealing for global sales, less boxy Teutonic German?

2. Ted Ankrum says:

Glad you posted this. I’ve owned 3 electric vehicles (i3, 330e and X5 40e) my X5 40e lease ends 11/2020 and it’ll be replaced by an iX3, EQC, e-Tron or Jag i-Pace. If the iX3 is made in China, that’s a disqualifier. The i-Pace is the front runner, but if it has the usual Jag electrical reliability, that’s a disqualifier. The model years 2020 and 2021 are going to be very interesting.

• I’m glad you appreciated it. The I-Pace is a good car but I think the e-tron is a bit better, honestly. It’s not as fast but it’s going to be a bit more reliable and it has a better battery, charge speed and battery cooling than the I-Pace. But yes, 2020-2021 will be very interesting indeed.

• mike74jcw says:

I will replace my i3 with an i4 most likely but I really like the e-Tron and the I-pace. The iX3 will be too big for me and won’t have as high of a range as the i4 (supposedly) but would be more practical perhaps. The edge in reliability may indeed go to BMW or Audi versus Jag. The EQC is OK, but not really my style…not a fan of the newest Benz models.

• Ted Ankrum says:

I’ve driven the I-Pace, but only sat in the e-Tron at a dealer preview. I agree with your assessment, but I love the cab-forward look of the skateboard platform I-Pace. I really don’t understand the Jag’s lagging battery performance specs given it’s purported battery size. I suppose it’s Audi/Porsche’s greater experience with electric than Jag (zero). The Audi e-Tron video on it’s development gives one great confidence in the engineering. I doubt that Jag put in one-tenth of the effort.

• cnet-970ad33b278bd3b05502252be3640ea5 says:

Why not China, didn’t BMW just spend billion$ becoming the 1st western manufacturer allowed to increase their ownership in domestic co-production? Website already said they produce in 14 countries on 4 continents, don’t know if that includes new green Mexico 3 Series plant.

3. Ted Ankrum says:

I wonder if it’s going to have the active suspension as in the new GLE? The electrical capability is there and it’s cutting edge better than any other equivalent. If it does, it would be consistent with having the most advanced platform.