What’s your perfect multi-brand Frankenstein Car? BMW-powered Jaguar?

Interesting, News | October 11th, 2018 by 15
jftype185mycoupe4cylinderingenium011217027 830x553

We just recently spoke about the possibility of the upcoming 2020 Jaguar F-Type using a BMW-sourced V8. It wouldn’t be the first time BMW has lent engines to other brands and it likely won’t be the last. However, it got me thinking, what would happen if a bunch of brands collaborated to make one perfect car? So we decided to make a Frankenstein Car of several different brands’ bits. Just in time for Halloween, too.

Much like Frankenstein, we have to start with a body (a car body, relax). So if you could choose any car body that’s currently on sale today, which would it be? For me, it’d be the Jaguar F-Type Coupe, ironically. I just think it’s the prettiest car on the road, with its gorgeous rear haunches, tucked nose and sexy silhouette. Just stunning. Plus, I’m a sucker for front-engine coupes.

911 Carrera T   6  830x593

Next, we need an interior. While the cabin of the F-Type isn’t bad, it’s not great, either. It’s design is only okay, some of its materials are a bit suspect and the technology is poor. So rather than the Jag’s cabin, I’m taking one from the Porsche 911. I know, I know, that’s not exactly the most exciting choice but its driver-focused cockpit, perfect ergonomics and perfect gauges make it the sort of driver’s-car-cabin that I love. And this is my Frankenstein Car, so I’ll do what I want.

Now it’s time to choose the powertrain — engine, transmission and exhaust. We’ll keep these tied together, just because it makes it a bit easier. But for the engine, I’m going to have to go with the BMW M5’s S63 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8. I was tempted to go with something naturally-aspirated and exotic but having recently driven the M5, I’ve never felt something so explosively powerful, yet buttery smooth. The only other engine I’ve ever preferred driving more has been the 6.2 liter naturally-aspirated V8 of the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG but that isn’t on sale anymore so I can’t use its engine, here.

BMW M5 Competition test drive126 830x553

Next up is the suspension and steering. I’m going to have to take the setup from the Porsche Cayman, specifically the PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) setup. There’s just so much balance to it and I’m not just talking about its mid-engine nature but it’s actual suspension. It has the ability to be both supple and composed, regardless of road surface, is admirable and in a coupe like the Jaguar F-Type, which itself is too stiff, that’s a desirable trait. Especially with 600 ponies lurking beneath. Also, the Cayman’s steering is some of the best I’ve ever felt, with a combination of delicacy and accuracy found in few other, if any, cars on the market today.

So that’s my Frankenstein Car — A Jaguar F-Type body with a Porsche 911 interior, a BMW M5 powertrain and the suspension and steering from a PASM-equipped Porsche Cayman. What would be yours?

15 responses to “What’s your perfect multi-brand Frankenstein Car? BMW-powered Jaguar?”

1. brad collins says:

Aston DBS Superleggera chassis with a 15-20cm wheelbase extension to allow for 4 real people to sit in it. McLaren Senna engine mounted at the front but as it is shorter than the V12 it’ll be able to sit further backwards than the big V12. Replace the auto with the Senna gearbox. BMW F13 interior with individual contrast blue stitching, Tanzanite exterior

2. disqus_N2EdJql2v3 says:

Mercedes-Nissan pick-up named after X5. But I know it’s too weird to ever happen, so my dream will have to die with me…

3. maxnix says:

Fail on the 911 interior unless it is the 992 interior where they finally moved the center screen above the air vents.

Other failure is no heads up display, so I will take BMW new iDrive 7 layout with the best HUD in the market, thank you. Counter rotating video analog appearing gauges be damned!

4. Wout says:

Didn’t BMW used to share (entry-level) diesel engines with French carmakers (Peugeot)? I believe in partnership with PSA. Not that exciting as a V8 though :-)

5. Giom says:

The more I’m thinking about this, the more I realize just how much I love everything BMW does. With their latest assault on the sports car scene with the M2 Competition, the M4 CS et al, there really isn’t much left to be desired – except a proper super car. One that isn’t compromised in any way. A McLaren F1 for today.

6. BR117 says:

Probably going to get shot for saying this but: a BMW M850i chassis powered by Tesla P100D motors with all the BMW handling, suspension, and driving dynamics we’ve come to know. Or the above combined with a BMW V8 in a hybrid configuration, like the Koenigsegg Regera. And for supercar-type chassis, replace with the i8 chassis instead.
    The joke in all this is that all I need to see are high performance electric motors from BMW and then this won’t even be a Frankenstein config at all.

• disqus_N2EdJql2v3 says:

Tests have i8 0-60<4 secs., they'be been producing it for years.

• BR117 says:

Yeah but Tesla P100D motors do 0-60 in 2.4 seconds… New Roadster numbers have 1.9 seconds as well.

• disqus_N2EdJql2v3 says:

Great, if you want to drive a 5,000 lb. sedan. Roadster doesn’t exist, if & when it does how do open roof aerodynamics allow claimed #s? ICE run out of gas, how long does BEV sustain peak performance?

• BR117 says:

Fine points about the weight and sustained peak performance. Hybrid powertrain sounds like it can make up for the shortfalls.

• Kevin Mansfield says:

Not sure you know your cars but the slow Tesla P100D just not good enough for A Frankenstein BMW I personally wold go with Rimac Concept 2 0-60 1.6 sec 260 mph 1920 hp from the dealership it’s the fastest production car including all electric and gas even the Koenigsegg Agera RS

• BR117 says:

I have heard about the Rimac, but I wanted to pick a production set of parts for a frankenstein build. If we’re including concepts, this would definitely be cool to see!

7. Chuck Fickens says:

My frankenstein cars would be an E39 M5 with the E60 V10 engine. And an M2 in Tanzanite Blue (which they point blank refuse to do for any amount of money) with the interior of the 8-series (scaled down to fit obviously).

8. Senne says:

I think the perfect frankenstein car exists: the McLaren F1 with that beautiful piece of art BMW M V12. One of the absolute best engines ever made and perhaps the best car ever made. It’s a car that actually exists, so that makes it even better in my opinion.

But let’s think about a nice imaginary frankenstein car.

BMW i8 Roadster, designed in a way that the M40i inline-6 could fit with a perfect 50-50 weight distribution and batteries still low down. An i8 with 600 WHP would be an absolute BEAST. The whole package would have to be more supercar-like rather than GT-like, which is kinda how it’s setup now.