New BMW G29 Z4 introduced at The Quail

BMW Z4 | August 26th, 2018 by 21
BMW Z4 Pebble Beach 18 830x553

The new two-seat roadster 2019 BMW Z4 M40i First Edition debuted this week at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.

The vehicle’s reveal comes a year after BMW delivered a concept version of the Z4 Roadster at Pebble Beach. The new Z4 stays true to the concept that debuted at Pebble Beach last year, with a long hood, short overhangs, vertically stacked headlights and a dual kidney grilles, but instead of vertical slats they get a 3-D mesh pattern finished in black.

BMW Z4 Pebble Beach 33 830x623

BMW gave the new M40i First Edition an M adaptive suspension with electronically controlled shock absorbers. It will also have M Sport brakes and an M Sport rear differential.

First Edition models feature a number of options from BMW’s Individual program of exclusive colors and materials, including Frozen Orange Metallic paint, decorative stitching on black leather seats and gloss-black interior trim. The Z4 M40i First Edition will also come with BMW’s Live Cockpit Professional, a digital gauge cluster with two displays.

BMW Z4 Pebble Beach 6 830x623

The Z4 M40i First Edition Roadster gets a 3-liter, 6-cylinder engine that goes 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds.

The 2019 Z4 M30i will hit showrooms first, arriving in spring. The Z4 M40i will follow in the second quarter.

21 responses to “New BMW G29 Z4 introduced at The Quail”

1. John says:

Let us know when Kia sues BMW for copying its designs.

Whilst Audi and Benz are becoming more and more original with their designs; BMW is mastering the art of cheating which is what Japanese car manufacturers used to do in the 1970s/1980s. It is shameful.

• Angelo says:

Stop complaining for everything. It’s a bmw z4 and not a Ferrari.

• Arunabh says:

You made an important point here. But is BMW Z4 enough of BMW?

• Aggelos Xatzilazarou says:

Dear Arunabh.
          First of all I must mention that BMW is my favourite car brand. Of course is not. If only I could see a AMG GT or R8 rival but that is too romantic in my opinion. The only thing I want from the new Z4 is to be the best on it’s class and I’m almost sure tha Z4 is.

• John says:

There can be no justification for copying others even if BMW is just making a Z4 as you put it.

• Aggelos Xatzilazarou says:

Dear John
          I don’t disagree that BMW has had many failures on it’s design the last years and believe me I was very upset as a BMW fun. Although I believe that the new models have great improvement. About your point I believe that Hunday and KIA copy the BMW and the other brands and not the opposite. Be optimistic. BMW is recovering its issues.

• disqus_gMkqrHMwOa says:

Since Kia don’t make a roadster what exactly are BMW copying? And the original designs of other manufacturers will never be produced, instead they rip off BMW’s 1970s/1980s 1 sausage, 3 sizes design ethos. BMW have doubled model range & sales volume with recognizable yet innovative corporate design.

2. jaguarjaonzz says:

Why BMW Why ??? Why make such a Bland car ???
    And then they will say “there’s no market for Sports car Anymore…”
    Off course your car is bland ! Aston martin are not high volume sellers, yet they’re gonna build the Valkyrie ?!!
    No market ?… this is bad now BMWs have a huge overhang like the new 8 and they’re huge and more huge everytime
    This disapointing to say the least

3. Alexander S says:

Interior is getting better for me. Except those few cheap buttons…

• Marcel Lukačić-Marca says:

I understand your frustriation with plastic buttons. But BMW isn’t the only car company that does this. Mercedes also puts plastic buttons in $100,000+ AMG GT cars, but interior of that thing is still unbelievably special. Same thing with the new 8 series…

• Alexander S says:

I understand you too. I know that. But BMW doesn’t put aluminum buttons on doors. Merc does that, you touch it every day. That will improve the feel of expensive car…

4. disqus_gMkqrHMwOa says:

While Mercedes & Audi duke it out for fantasy driver-only (+1 in the VAG) EVs, BMW will sell an actual 300+ hp. production roadster to those who have actual chequebooks & not just keyboards.

5. Dailybimmer says:

Not sure, if that is what the world has been waiting for. People expect real sport car from Bmw with typical Bmw design, but this? Never thought Bmw would built a car that looks like Kia Stinger and Fiat 124 Spyder in one.

6. Giom says:

Must admit, I’m feeling a tad better after seeing a couple of videos. Let’s wait and see how it will look in the flesh and in motion.

7. Cheslyn Owen says:

I must say the car looks amazing. When I read all the comments below, I feel like I’m the only one who’s actually pleased with how the car turned out. If I look at the actual car and the concept car, there is a lot of the concept car that made it into production. Obviously a few things would never have made it from the concept car for obvious reasons (safety standards) . However I think the car looks sharp and modern yet it still have a retro look about it. It almost looks like a new S2000 especially from a side profile. And we all love the S2000’s right. The front can improve somewhat. But that can easily be made to look more aggressive like the concept bumper design with future updates. Maybe bigger wheels, bigger brakes, bigger engine and a hump/dome on the hood. The car is absolutely stunning and I like it. Its a winner from BMW.

• Giom says:

You’re not wrong. But I think most commentators here are just disappointed for what could have been/should have been an even more daring design.

• Arunabh says:

True.. as one gentleman put somewhere in the blog – Its nice but doesn’t pull the heartstrings. This really sums up the Z4 and, by and large, most current BMW models’ design.

8. Casey C Benn says:

Sorry, just no. This is easily the ugliest BMW I have ever seen. Looks like a Hyundai and Kia crashed into each other.
    There is nothing here that says German design. To top it off it is ANOTHER design that has that ridiculous hood line that cuts across horizontally which also destroys any dynamic the shape may have had. Worst headlights and kidney grille design ever. What is Amazing is that she designed the last z4 and that looked pretty damn good so you know she could have done much better. Can’t wait till BMW is done with this era of car design and moves on to something more understated and clean again.

9. A.F.S. says: