What’s Your Automotive Guilty Pleasure?

BMW X1, Interesting, News | July 11th, 2018 by 16
BMW X1 Orange Edition 16 830x553

We all have guilty pleasures. Whether it be junk food, crappy television or a corny song, everyone has something that they love that they’re slightly ashamed to admit. But what about an automotive guilty pleasure? Surely, as car enthusiasts, there’s at least one car that you secretly like but you might not tell other enthusiasts. For me, I have two — the Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen and the BMW X1 (current front-wheel drive generation).

The former, I take quite a bit of heat for from BMW enthusiasts. How could I like a nearly three-ton, Kardashian-driven box from the rival Mercedes-Benz? Well, it’s just awesome, that’s why. Admittedly, I really like the old, ’80s ones best, with their cloth, plaid seats, no-frills interiors and rugged good looks. But I’d take any G-Wagen from any generation. They’re just so tough, badass and cool. I don’t care that the Kardashians drive them, I don’t care that no one will ever use their off-road capability and I don’t care that they’re mainly bought as fashion statements. I love the G-Wagen, I want one and I will likely buy (a very old and cheap) one, one day.

2018 Detroid Auto Show Mercedes G Class 1160587 830x623

Now, for the latter, the BMW X1, I do genuinely like it. I know, I know, I should leave my proverbial BMW enthusiast badge and gun left on the desk on my way out the door. Still, I think it’s a great car. Sure, it’s front-wheel drive based, which isn’t as exciting as rear-wheel drive, but it’s such a nice driving little crossover that does everything well. It looks good, it’s comfortable, practical, spacious, well-made and decently fun to drive. All for an affordable price. As someone with a small family of my own now, the BMW X1 is actually something that makes a lot of sense for me and I would drive one with real pride because it’s a damn good, honest little car.

So those are my automotive guilty pleasures. What are yours?

16 responses to “What’s Your Automotive Guilty Pleasure?”

1. Hi says:

Mine would have to be the Honda odyssey and the mercedes amg gt c roadster. But I am still a BMW fan, not a bandwagon.

2. Kaisuke971 says:

As a BMW fan, i have to admit i love Audi’s wagons, but only Audi’s. I’d generally take a sedan over anything else, unless it’s an Audi sedan, then i want the wagon. And i’d take an Audi wagon over any of its direct (wagon) competitors.

And in general, i like diesels. For daily driving, the way a turbo diesel delivers its power just makes more sense than a petrol engine. Now, an electric or hybrid might be even better, but still diesels are cool. Plus BMW’s six cyl diesels sound pretty good to me.

I have a soft spot for the X3 35d particularly (and the two gens of Alpina XD3s). For daily driving, the package just makes so much sense

3. Overlord says:

I am huge BMW fan, but I really like Audi RS6 Avant(only Avant variant) and Audi S8.

4. Central Lifestyle says:

For me, I do like Porsche’s variety of options available during factory build (eg, alcantara steering wheel and seats, black colour wheels etc) on all their models rather than leaving it to aftermarket. Would like BMW to adopt that approach for M-Performance cars and M cars. Other than that, Porsche cars are overhyped and M division & AMG make better cars for better value.

5. disqus_NdrthOMZ62 says:

Coming to BMWblog to troll trolls who come here to slag BMW with slander, falsehoods, rudeness & delusion. Those who can, do. Those who can’t, type.

6. Hinu says:

The BMW X1 is a disgrace. Nothing more to say.

Also, I don’t have any guilty pleasures when it comes to cars. Maybe because I don’t care what others think.