BMW Still Working on Hydrogen-Powered Models

Interesting, News | June 21st, 2018 by 14
BMW 5 series gt hydrogen fuel cell images 30 750x500

The world is apparently convinced right now that the way forward for personal mobility resides in electric vehicles, at least when it comes to the automotive world. However, BMW is not dropping all of the other projects it’s currently working on, as a new report claims. Speaking to Motorsport.com, BMW Motorsport boss, Jens Marquardt claimed the Germans are still developing  hydrogen-powered cars and the first FCEV should make an appearance somewhere in the mid 2020s.

BMW has been working and even launched a couple of prototypes using hydrogen fuel over the last decade. The most recent iteration was a BMW 5 Series GT which was said to have a 245 hp electric motor and high-voltage battery, similar to the ones used in BMW’s eDrive and i Division plug-in hybrids. The problem is, fuel-cell vehicles don’t really make sense financially right now as the BMW CEO pointed out last year, when he announced a small batch of FCEV will enter production by 2021.

BMW 5 series gt hydrogen fuel cell images 40 750x499

It’s basically the same thing Jens Marquardt said in an interview the other day. The development of the project is done in close collaboration with the BMW Motorsport division to make sure the best possible results are achieved before entering production. “We don’t develop the technology to go racing and not have anything… it’s for production. And we’re looking at what we’re doing for production, for serious projects. Is there anything we can transfer or use racing as a development lab,” said Marquardt.

However, no official project will be made public before BMW’s partner in this venture, Toyota, shows its first batch of FCEVs. According to Marquardt, the Japanese are going to show the results of their work at the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2020. Therefore, the 2021 timeline still stands which makes us quite curious about what they have planned. If the 5 Series GT prototype we drove back in 2015 is anything to go by, chances are we could be in for some really interesting developments.

14 responses to “BMW Still Working on Hydrogen-Powered Models”

1. Hans Wurst says:

Hydrogen-powerd Cars are the future! I would buy one if available (BMW).

2. CDspeed says:

Still fooling around with fool cells in the background, and being lead around by Toyota. The world is going electric while Toyota refuses to admit they’ve invested too much in an uncertain technology. No wonder BMW is behind, and having to enlist the help of a Chinese partner just to build a converted X3….

• disqus_NdrthOMZ62 says:

China demands co-productions for access to their market, multiple companies are pursuing hydrogen. Who are BMW behind?

• expat says:

Everybody was laughing at Toyota when they´d played with hybrids. Today everybody has hybrid cars on the showroom floor. The same thing will happen with hydrogen cells. Remember this date, pal.

• CDspeed says:

Toyota fan much? Hybrids never took off they don’t even represent the majority of Toyota’s produced and sold let alone every other brand out there. Hydrogen is a scam that will cost trillions to make happen, it will always be ten years away. And why would I remember this day, nothing happened, except a reply from another hydrogen troll…

• Hans Wurst says:

Why are you so angry? Did anyone hurt you? Electric cars with a big stack of batteries are not the future, they can never replace cars that can be refueled in a couple of minuts (like gasoline or diesel). But hydrogen cars can combine best things of both worlds. Give it a few more years of development. In my eyes it’s the best technology for a clean automotive future.

• CDspeed says:

In terms of 200+ mile electric cars coming to market, or already on the market BMW is behind Tesla, Jaguar, and Audi.

• disqus_NdrthOMZ62 says:

Of the 3 manufacturers you cite, 1 has made the list of top 10 BEV best-sellers, and it’s an expensive, 5,000 lb. luxury sedan with NO competition in the marketplace. Since range is your issue? Buy a diesel.

• CDspeed says:

No I’m just sick of companies fooling with fool cells, and hydrogen fans not fully realizing how unnecessary, and expensive hydrogen cars are. You’ve clearly fallen for their promises, and don’t notice the down sides at all. My electric cars take 30 seconds to plug-in, and you never notice how long it takes to charge. Refueling is no longer a part of my life, I don’t have to drive to a station to buy it so I’m actually wasting less time every week then a car that refuels. And rapid charging takes about as long as a bathroom break. I’ve owned electric cars for about four years, I can say they do make life easier, so I guess I’m defensive because I’d like to keep buying cars that do that. A hydrogen car might refuel quickly like gas or diesel, but you also have to add in the time it takes you to drive to, and from the station. There is a lot more to consider then just refueling times with hydrogen, and few people who support hydrogen realize that, and few of them telling me “it’s the future” even own one.

• Hans Wurst says:

I think I do understand your point of few. But there are not only those guys who can charge their cars at home, those who need to drive long distances in a short time. And having a break every 200 miles for a minimum of half an hour wouldn’t be mine. And what if all capacities are just in use? That would take a lot more time.
            Another point is the weight of a huge battery stack and it’s cost because of the expensive resources they need. That is one of the fact that makes battery-based EVs not really environment friendly.
            You are right when you say that there are a couple of problems with hydrogen cars. But they can be solved, just give it a little more time. In the end you will have hydrogen stations as much as gas stations today and refueling will be as easy as clapping your hands. Cars can be lightweight with a small battery and are able to go miles and miles and miles and do only drop some whater out of the exhaust. I would love that!

• disqus_NdrthOMZ62 says:

Toyota sell millions of ICE annually, have sold most hybrid in history. BEV sell 1/40th of ICE globally. You do not live in reality. And there are actually hydrogen engineers & researchers. That you come to a page about a co. that has done YEARS of hydrogen R&D to critcize & name-call pretty much makes you the troll.

• CDspeed says:

No I read, and comment on this site regularly, and I don’t hide my posting history like you. Go look, I read, and comment on BMWblog often, trolls target specific articles. And I do live in reality, I have actual electric car ownership experience, I see other electric cars on the road, and I regularly watch Formula E races. I’m not specifically calling anyone a fool, I’m reffing to the technology who’s ultimate goal is to keep you paying at the pump. Automakers are hesitant towards them because they won’t make as much money in the spare parts business, and the oil industry doesn’t like them because it leaves them with out a product people are basically addicted to. Hydrogen solves their problems with zero tailpipe emission vehicles, it keeps you buying fuel, and car parts. From experience I can say I love owning a car that needs almost nothing to drive everyday.