Should the next BMW M3 be a hybrid?

BMW M3, News | April 6th, 2018 by 13
G80 BMW M3 Render AutoBild 830x457

There had been some rumors swirling around a while back about the next-gen, G80 BMW M3 becoming a hybrid. Admittedly, those rumors have calmed down a lot in recent months and became all but squashed when we recently saw spy photos of the next M3 without a charging port. But during those rumors’ circulation, fans were rioting at the idea of such a car. For most fans, the idea of a hybrid BMW M car is blasphemy. And maybe that’s true. But I’m starting to come around to the idea.

Let me be perfectly clear first — I do not think the next BMW M3 will be a hybrid. In fact, I’m almost convinced otherwise, thanks to comments from people at BMW M and recent spy photos. However, I do think it would be a very interesting idea if it were the case. See, the next-gen BMW M3 needs to be mighty powerful to compete with newcomers from Mercedes-AMG and Alfa Romeo, both of which have M3-competitors with over 500 hp. So if BMW wants to beat those cars, it’s going to have to at least get close to the 500 hp-mark. And it can do so in a few different ways. One of which is hybridization, which I actually think would be quite cool.

G80 BMW M3 Render AutoBild1 830x381

A hybrid powertrain would allow BMW to add a lot more power and torque while also completely eliminating turbo lag and increasing fuel efficiency. And it would do so a lot better than just adding water-injection, as we’ve heard rumored as well. The latter is overly complicated for little power gain, as the M4 GTS with water-injection couldn’t even break 500 hp itself. Plus, you have to refill the water in the tank every so often and it runs so much turbo boost that we worry about longevity and durability. It’s fine in the M4 GTS because that’s a specialize track car, so you can live with its quirks. But in a car designed to be driven everyday, like the M3, that can become a nuisance and/or unreliable. Also, it’s just another fluid to keep tabs on.

Plus, there’s the rumor that one of the BMW M3’s competitors might become a hybrid. We just recently learned that the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio might be getting a coupe variant with hybrid technology pulled from the Ferrari LaFerrari. It’s rumored to develop 640 hp, which is a helluva lot more than any other car in its class. Combine that power with electric torque and there wouldn’t be a car in the segment that could hope to keep up with that Alfa.

So it might make sense for BMW to go in that direction. If the wizards at BMW M could make it light enough, of course. BMW M cars are about scalpel-like handling more so than pure power, so if it could be made to handle as well, I think it might be the way to go. Imagine that, an M3 with a hybrid powertrain? Take that, Prius.

13 responses to “Should the next BMW M3 be a hybrid?”

1. Per Pilgrim says:

2. Johan Mo says:

No, it should be fully electric. That would put AMG to shame..

3. Anon says:

It’s not a question of should anymore, it will happen.

Or when, for that matter (after next generation)

The real question is if the next-next gen M3 will be hybrid or full electric.

Also possible, if the upcoming m3 is beaten badly enough by competitors, that bmw will try to rush a hybrid version in time for the LCI.

4. Marcel Lukačić-Marca says:

Absolutely not. It would ruin M3 completely. Electric motors and M3? That’s like putting gravy on ice cream.

5. GameraKillsGodzilla says:

The Germans aren’t too swift with complex electronics. I would expect such a hybrid to become worthlessly buggy at about 60,000 miles. Only the Japanese can do those systems right.

6. Max says:

Considering the amazing B58 and what M GmbH is capable of, I believe the next one gets an S58 with something around the 500 mark which would be strong enough to beat the competition. It’s not about more horsepower! It’s about the perfect balance between weight, power, suspension etc. and this is where M always delivers. They showed it very often, that they can beat the. competition with much less horsepower and they can do it again. Hybrid would add too much weight for an M3/4. I think it would fit much better to an M5 which is already AWD anyway!

7. Michał J says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t like those renders? Design is disappointing(IMO)

8. nibot kram says:

I’ll kill myself if it’s a hybrid.
    If i wanted a hybrid i’d buy a prius.
    Or an all wheel drive i’d kill myself again.
    If I wanted all wheel drive I’d buy an Audi.

9. doublespaces says:

I think we will see them as hybrids very soon, but in the form of a BAS (Battery Alternator Starter) format, Prius status without a charge port. This 48v type electrical system is a good thing IMO, opens the door to electric pre-spool turbos as well. Battery would only be large enough to act as a KERS with perhaps some sustained coasting or start/stop functionality.

10. Hinu says:

Hybrids are sort of the worst of both worlds. Two powertrains, more weight, lose the space efficiency advantage… But yeah, I think it should be a hybrid, if not a fully electric car. BMW should be able to pull that off.

Either way, battery technology has come so far that you could easily make a pretty decent hybrid – even in a sports car.

I think an all electric M3 would be too much to hope for, but it should at least be hybrid (or range extended which is the best solution to this).