VIDEO: BMW 5 Series Touring vs Volvo V90 vs Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate

5-series, Videos | September 9th, 2017 by 61
2017 BMW 5 Series Touring England 109 830x553

Here in America, the charms of luxury wagons are pretty much unknown. Aside from the Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon, we don’t really get any of them. However, Europeans get all of them and are big fans. We’re jealous. But I digress. In this latest comparison test from Carwow, Mat Watson takes a look at the three best luxury wagons to see which is the absolute best — the BMW 5 Series Touring, Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate or the Volvo V90.

In terms of looks, Watson deems the Volvo the winner. While that may be an odd sentence, the Volvo V90 is a very charming car and one that is hard to argue against. Personally, I like the 5 Series Touring better but I can’t fault anyone for choosing the handsome Volvo. The Merc is good looking too but, for me at least, it’s a bit frumpy and I think Mercedes really needs to work on its D-pillar design.

Mercedes Benz E Klasse T Modell 2016 Exclusive Line cavansitblau 03 750x500 750x500

On the inside, it’s really a bit of a toss up. Each car has its own unique style and reason for wanting it. For instance, the Mercedes is really pretty and features an elegant and luxurious cabin. Though, its technology is lacking a bit and there are some really cheap materials in certain places. The BMW 5 Series Touring has an extremely well-built cabin with the best technology. But it’s a bit bland to look at. While the Volvo V90 looks really smart and luxurious but doesn’t have the best tech and lacks just a bit in quality to the BMW.

As far as practicality goes, the Volvo is the worst of the three, with the least room and fewest helpful features. The 5 Series has a lot of room and some really nifty features, like its independently-opening glass hatch and underfloor spot for the parcel shelf. But Watson gives the win to the Mercedes, thanks to having the most space and a two-in-one parcel shelf, cargo net.

192820 Volvo V90 R Design Studio 750x551

Watson also claims the Merc is the best to drive. Fitted with optional air suspension, it’s easily the most comfortable car in the test and the most fun to drive. Its engines are good but not spectacular. As for the BMW, its chassis is a bit soft and boring but it does ride really well and its engines are brilliant. The Volvo V90 is very nice to drive but far more relaxed and tame. It’s very Swedish in that manner. Though its four-cylinder engines are a bit gruff and not as good as the other two.

In the end, he gives the win to the Mercedes-Benz. While all three are great cars, Watson claims the Merc to be the best all-around luxury wagon.

61 responses to “VIDEO: BMW 5 Series Touring vs Volvo V90 vs Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate”

1. Matt Stinger says:

How many more tests do you need to see to understand that your useless bmw doesn’t stand a single chance against the king Mercedes-Benz?

• Terry Cowan says:

Obviously your parents didn’t love you: they named you after something rubber found in bathtubs & a Korean 3Series wannabe. After reading your comment? Who can blame them?

• kenny sauray says:

Don’t like his approach, but he is right. Mercedes certainly have the upper hand on us. We are getting whooped in every segment. I personally cannot find 1 BMW that is currently superior to it’s Mercedes counterpart in anyway.

• Terry Cowan says:

So why are you on this page? No one will play with you elsewhere? So you come here & play with yourself?

• kenny sauray says:

Wow, you are very ignorant. I’m a BMW owner and I have the right to post comments and voice my opinion just as you do. I just don’t do the stupid brand loyalty crap and tell it like it is. Mercedes is crushing BMW in every aspect, why do I have to hide it? It is a fact. We just cannot compete at this time and As a BMW owner I will not be one of those delusional fanboy. Grow up please and have some respect!

• Terry Cowan says:

I respect the century old + company that is doing record volume, not the one that sells garbage trucks & Infinitis.

• kenny sauray says:

How old are you? You do know Mercedes has been in the auto industry way way before BMW right? Yes, they are selling garbage trucks, but they are also selling cars we can only dream of, the Mercedes brand still remains more prestigious regardless of what it sells, doubt that BMW can do that a remains relevant., it is people like you that gives our brand a bad name.

• Terry Cowan says:

I have been following BMW since 1970, they began with 1 car here. Gave up on Mercedes when they failed to produce the C111. BMW, a much smaller company, did produce the M1. All these years later, BMW produce more Ms than ever & Mercedes are still dull.

• PK says:

BMW fan here. I agree with Merc fans. So far the Benz is beating bmw in sales plus they’re building a hypercar amg project one and bmw are clusterfuck at this point right now so what does that tell you….

• kenny sauray says:

I just checked, you said record volume? Mercedes is ahead in sales worldwide and I guess is the luxury segment leader in sale according to Google. What are you referring to? Seems to be some type of misunderstanding here. Don’t know why you are attacking me

• Terry Cowan says:

Pointing out BMW are doing record volume, stating a fact is not an attack. Mercedes are a much larger company with a commercial division, BMW do not sell busses or delivery vans, they sell motorcycles. Also in record volume. Mercedes do not.

• Matt Stinger says:

You retard, Mercedes-Benz sells much more passenger and SUV/SAV vehicles than bmw. At first read relevant information and just then make such stupid comments.

• kenny sauray says:

Terry, we are talking about cars here, not motorcycle or busses. I find you to be all over the map. Stay focus! We both love BMW, but being delusional and not give credit where its due is not the solution. BMW will never fix any issue as long as people like you not holding it to a higher standard. To be honest with you, I would rather be in the Mercedes camp right now.

• Terry Cowan says:

I am not on BMWblog to discuss Mercedes. They bore me, and have for forty years. This is not your camp.

• kenny sauray says:

Terry, the cars in subject are BMW, Volvo and Mercedes. You are not making any kind of sense. I get that you hate Mercedes, but the fact remains that they are making more fun cars and better handling cars, this is something that is being said on a regular basis by every reviewer, I have to remind you that those were the only 2 characters that BMW had over Mercedes. Don’t you care about BMW as a brand? Why is this not my camp? Because I Saud I would rather be in the Mercedes camp at this time? Can you blame me? They have cars like the AMG GT R, that project one hypercar, that E63s and their line of S-class and that G63 6×6 beast. See my point? On the lower end they cars are equal or better than ours. Have you seen that hideous X7 design? This is the direction BMW Is going, while Mercedes is making million dollars cars

• Terry Cowan says:

I came to BMWblog to learn about BMW. That is my agenda. Yours is none of my business. S Classes rebadged as Maybachs sell for a $ million do they?

• kenny sauray says:

Well it seems like you came here and got taught a lesson for sure. From what i have heard from others it seems like you have an agenda but cannot handle the truth. Mercedes rebadged S-class as Maybach seems to be doing very well in the ultra luxury segment, more than we can say for our beloved BMW who had to go purchased an already well established British brand to compete. Think about it! There are no BMW badges on a Rolls Royce, while others like Pagani, Maybach would gladly slap a Benz badge on their cars, this is the prestigious thing I was talking about. I do not do brand loyalty, please stop kid! I tell it like it is.

• Matt Stinger says:

This is what bmw is all about. Watch and enjoy bmw’s incompetent engineering:
            Even Audi is laughing at them.

• Terry Cowan says:

While I watch VW go to court & pay fines?

• Arunabh says:

Terry the frumpy little dog finds it very difficult to digest this fact.

Go to any article on this forum and he is trying to persuade, unsuccessfully, all those who are giving their opinion.

I am with you on this one, kenny. It would be better for BMW to understand that they have fallen way too deep now. Drab and unimaginative styling, no real focus on their core USP, clumsy driving dynamics etc. are enough of pointers for any person with little semblance to understand that this isn’t the BMW which we revered. Naturally, if this isn’t a brand that we loved anymore then most people are correct in looking elsewhere.

As a BMW die hard loyalist, i too find it painful to see BMW in such state but i cannot act like stupid fanboys out here like terry and continue to live in delusion.

Hey Terry, tickle tickle tickle. Its becoming my favourite thing to do in this blog. Annoy a grumpy little puppy. I will do it more often henceforth.

• kenny sauray says:

Thanks for the heads up👍the guy seems to be out of touch with reality. I have always like BMW cars, but this generation is lacking behind every single one of its competitors.

• Matt Stinger says:

I’m also with you. I’m a Mercedes-Benz fan, but I respect bmw fans like you. It’s just pity that bmw’s reputation is constantly spoiled because of such stupid retards like that Terry Cow. :)))

• Terry Cowan says:

Yes, it’s an opportunity for you to improve your English. Evidently not your comprehension.

• Matt Stinger says:

You’re right. My English is getting bad as a result of reading your ignorant comments. I also guess that you were behind the wheel in one of those cars in this video:

• Matt Stinger says:

Of course you don’t have a proper argument, that’s why you start talking nonsense. If that’s the case, then I can surely say that one of your parents was a cow, based on your surname. Did you like it?

2. Will ._.Var says:

Ugh, I don’t like the look of that E Class at all. Looks like a hearse or a boat. Design is great from the front, but at the back turns to some ugly thing.

5 Series looks much better, and the V90 does too – particularly in that R Design trim pictured. It is a good looker, that’s for sure.

3. kenny sauray says:

To be honest, Mercedes is killing BMW in every segment at this time. Never thought Mercedes would ever be viewed as sharper handling and more direct than BMW, but it is happening. A E63s is posting faster laptimes than a M4, unheard of in the past. Folks, we need to come to reality with ourselves they are just better. Technology still favors the mercs too, gestures control is a gimmick doesn’t count as technology, Merc just do everything perfect.

• Matt Stinger says:

100% agreed. BMW’s (and their fans as well) problem is that they don’t accept facts. The result? Well, a distant 2nd lagging far behind Mercedes-Benz. My grandpa always said: “Remember, any car maker can boast about being the best, etc. But there was, is and will always be only one car maker above the others: Mercedes-Benz. No one can come close to them in terms of quality and drive quality.” I now clearly understand what he meant. Recently I’ve sold my 1997 E39 BMW 523i (I bought it in 2007 and enjoyed it for 10 years) and bought a 2007 E350. I have to admit that there’s no comparison in anything, since MB is head and shoulders above BMW. By the way, prior to buying my MB I also test drove a 2006 530i. Strangely it was even worse than the E39.

• kenny sauray says:

E-class Mercedes are built to last, very reliable and luxurious. A friend of mine purchased a 99 E-class and I purchased a 99 5 series back in the days, he is still driving his with 379k miles on it and mine die in 2008 after only 205k miles. So I understand were you are coming from. But my main point is that Mercedes is now making better handling cars in general than BMW, this used to be the only selling point for us. I just can’t stay and watch this, it seems like BMW have no answer because most of these Mercedes have been out for awhile and what is coming out of BMW is still trialling behind, even in the technology front.

• Central Lifestyle says:

Dude, E63s is expected to be more powerful and faster than M4, by far, and that’s because they are not in the same category. E63 competes with the M5 – both are 8-cylinder vehicles in the premium executive performance sedan category producing 600+hp. Whereas the M4 competes with the C63 Coupe – both are in the premium compact mid-sized performance 2 door coupé category. Try to compare like-for-like before you attempt to raise a critique, otherwise lots of people would think your statements don’t seem sensible.

• kenny sauray says:

A E63s beat a M4 on track that is a shame. The E63s weight 2 tons, it is a very heavy luxury car, very heavy, it is not supposed to be this good on track. The M5, E63s never before beat a M4 on track, I don’t know why you making excuses. It has never been about who have a V8 and has a V6. From my perspective I see 2 companies going different directions, and like I said before, I’m really liking MB direction specially after seeing the project one hypercar today.

• Central Lifestyle says:

Dude, relax. This thing isn’t a do or die affair. It’s not war. Mercedes and BMW do actually get on well. They actually collaborate on some tech and strategic planning too. It’s only you fanboys who lose your heads over car gang membership. I own BMWs and also own a Mercedes, and even though I don’t like Audi, I bought and enjoyed myself with the Audi R8 before I traded it in. They’re all good cars at the end of the day. Just drive them and enjoy life. You need to relax. Calm down bro. Forget about all that history that you’re preaching. The fact is, E63 competes with M5. M4 competes with C63 Coupe. These are modern times and they make these cars faster and more powerful these days. And E63, as well as the M5, are designed and engineered to be faster, more powerful, and a performance category above M4 and C63 Coupe on track or on road, hence their higher prices.

• kenny sauray says:

You relax! You obviously don’t know shit about what you are talking about. M4 has always beat E63 and M5 on track. Mercedes is just making better cars and AMG is killing the M division. Look at project one and AMG GT R, shitting all over BMW. Mercedes is making far better handling cars too, and I’m not even going to go to the luxury and reliable factor they have over BMW. Just because I’m being real and not being a blind fanboy .

• kenny sauray says:

you deleted that comment after looking at the link i posted and noticed M3/M4 cars have always beat the M5 and E63 on tracks. E63 and M5 had always have more power than the M3/M4. The new E63s is able to beat the M3/M4 because of the work MB has done to its cars, hence why every review you see you get the MB as the sharper and better handling car. If you watch this video, you’ll noticed Matt saying the same thing about the Merc wagon. I don’t why people are so stupid about fuckin brand loyalty, BMW or Mercedes don’t give to shit about you

• Central Lifestyle says:

Comment must have been deleted by BMWBLOG admin folks, not me. Your statement that “BMW or Mercedes don’t give a shit about you” is what you need to remind yourself. I like and drive BMWs and Mercedes-AMGs. I go for what’s best in the category. You talk about fanboys but fail to see that you’re the one busy yapping hard about Mercedes this, Mercedes that and blindly comparing E63 to M4 when they’re not in the same category. That’s like complaining the GLE Coupe is more powerful than X3. E63 is a fantastic car. M4 is a fantastic car too. But they’re not in the same category so comparing them on speed times, power output, torque etc is a moot point. If you don’t understand that, I don’t know what teacher or intellectual can anymore get the point across to you

• kenny sauray says:

E63 compares with M5, everyone in the world know that. The point is that BMW is lacking what made it a name to begin with nowadays, that a big 2 tons luxury sedan can out handle it’s best track oriented car. I really feel sorry for you If you cannot understand that

• Central Lifestyle says:

I’m good bro, you have no needs to feel any sorry worries for me, trust me. As you stated, everyone knows BMW needs to up its game back up as Mercedes in 2013/2014 did come out with an intent to be in first place in the market and to dominate, so you’re stating the obvious there. Heck, buyers have made that clear over the past year and a half by choosing more often to buy Merc cars leading to BMW losing some market share whilst Mercedes gained. You would know that the current E63 is unlike any other E-Class based AMG car which were simply very powerful luxury sedans. This current E63 is a track oriented car designed with far more extensive use of weight-saving materials, a focus on fast lap times, a more sporty handling than ever in an E-class AMG, and it even drifts with enough torque vectoring engineered to send most of its power to its rear wheels more often than it does to all its wheels. That’s track oriented performance, whilst still being a luxury car. Combine this with its incredible power and other mechanics, it shouldn’t surprise that it outpaces the M4. Heck, I expect a Porsche Panamera Turbo (a very heavy luxury sedan) to outpace the M4. Even the new M5 will unsurprisingly outpace the M4. Times have changed bro. Keep up.

• kenny sauray says:

The point is BMW is playing catch up and I’m guessing you didn’t see that coming base in your response. Actually C63s was trashing M4 in tracks till BMW BMW introduces a competition package, I sent you a link earlier and it is very easy to see and comprehend why there was a need for a competition package. Even in the battle of M4 vs C63 BMW fail, imagine what an facelifted C63s will do to the M4CS . Yep time have changed and a BMW fan I would like to see them keep up with the rest of the industry. Ffs we have BMW fanboys praising the design of a X7, really? That car is hideous and getting bashed all over the internet.

• Central Lifestyle says:

We can agree on that, the X7 concept does look hideous. Thankfully, it’s only a concept and a lot on it can change before production. Thing is, BMW are conservative in approach, unlike Mercedes who are more avant-garde. BMW are very innovative though as they always tend to create these niches and new segments e.g., creating the compact premium segment (3 series), the midsize premium executive segment (5 series), the midsize premium executive SUV Coupe (X6), the compact premium SUV Coupe (X4). BMW also prefer to stick to their core product base: Premium executive sedans. Any innovation is built around that core product. Mercedes contend the whole vehicular sphere is their domain and they intend to dominate. Two different but very successful companies. Mercedes won’t stop or accept being second place nor would BMW. Even Porsche that was traditionally revered in high esteem is now firmly in the crosshairs of AMG. They’re going after them to take them down. It’s all interesting. It’s going to be a lot of fun.

• kenny sauray says:

I agree with everything except the fact you think BMW is innovative, BMW’s marketing is second to non. I have always say that every automaker need to sit down with a pen and paper and take notes. BMW is the kind of company that would put an extra door on a car and rename something else and still find people buying it, I can go on and on and tell you about which models I’m referring to but you already know. This is a practice that is very well-known in the industry. 3,5, x6 non of them were innovative, nothing that was not already exist, what BMW did was made them sportier and it worked to their advantage, nowadays the competition have surpassed BMW, even American cars are challenging BMW successfully

• Central Lifestyle says:

They are truly known for marketing so you’re on the mark with that. Cant argue that. I mean, 5 series GT suddenly became 6 series GT and being marketed like a brand new car in a new segment. Sums it up pretty much. Hopefully they get back to wanting to regain market share and the number one spot (premium car makers) that Mercedes wrested from them. Audi was closing in on them in that 2nd spot before the dieselgate scandal.

• kenny sauray says:

I’m cheering for them too. They have been in a drought for a while and hope they turn that around soon. Looking at the IAA show at i only see them heading towards electrification with the i range, nothing else.

• Central Lifestyle says:

Meanwhile, you might want to check this out. It’s a link to a comparison of M4 to its competitors and you may not like the results very much. Check it out: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420003

4. Giom says:

Funny tho, what Matt (Stinger) isn’t realizing (or won’t), is that just because one journo picked the Merc, doesn’t mean it’s the best car on test. Matt Watson will always choose the Merc over the BMW if they’re on par. If you listen objectively to his report, you’ll find that each one of them excels at something and has wants in other areas.

I think, the winners are the buyers of each model. There simply isn’t a bad car here. There is only personal taste – and no one can (or should) argue against what you like!

• Jujuman says:

I couldn’t have put it better. It comes down to personal preference.

• Matt Stinger says:

Giom, there is one simple answer: Mercedes – the best or nothing!
      By the way, Watson always picks bmw, but now even for him it is evident that Mercedes is the best. So all you have to do is just to live with it.

• kenny sauray says:

He picked the better and more practical car. If all reviewers are picking Mercedes is because Mercedes is doing a better job, this is plain and simple. As a BMW owner I do have an issue with people not giving credit to other brands because they think they loyalty to BMW will get hurt. Stop the bullshit! Mercedes is crushing us. Like I said a E63s is faster than a M4 on track, as cars enthusiasts we have to appreciate time like this and ask BMW to step up to the challenge

5. John says:

Sorry, but are you guys serious? I’ve had a chance to test drive the new 5 series and the current E class, the 5 feels much lighter, easier to handle, engine reacts better and it felt even more comfortable, the E class felt a bit too heavy. I think the new 5 is an amazing car, and if you read some reviews, most of them result in 5 being the winner, so I don’t understand this view that MB is getting ahead in all aspects.

• Matt Stinger says:

Of course you won’t understand, since you’re a bmw fanboy. Look at the global sales figures and maybe then you’ll understand why Mercedes-Benz is better with all aspects.

• John says:

How did you come to a conclusion that I am a BMW “fanboy”? I follow car blogs in general and BMW is one of them. I’m just telling you I’ve driven the cars myself and BMW was a better car out of those 2. I’m not a biased journalist, I’m not a BMW fan, I’m not a MB fan, this was just my feeling after test driving these two cars, that’s all. I even gave it to my friend, who never owned any BMW only MBs, never had anything good to say about BMW and he sadly admitted this car beats the E class.

• kenny sauray says:

E-class are above the 5 series in every ranking and this also shows in sales. You may like the way the 5 series drive better but the new E-class is in a different level. We need to stop the bullshit, this is why BMW keeps making these inferior cars, because it knows it’s base of dummies with always fall for it even with a 12 year old looking interior. The competition is just better look at the A6 and the E-class, they are miles ahead

• John says:

Fair enough. Your statements make discussion with you pointless.

• kenny sauray says:

That fanboy shit is priceless. Love how people can’t handle the truth because they are all wrapped up in the ass of 1 brand. Mercedes is making better and more exciting cars, period.

• kenny sauray says:

MB is way ahead right now in all aspects, pretty much all of it’s products are doing better than us. I said this earlier, BMW had 1 advantage over Mercedes and it let that slip away, yes sharper handling used to be the only reason why we used to buy a BMW over a Mercedes, Mercedes always had the edge in other categories, more luxurious, more technology, more reliable, safer ect..

6. fd21 says:

I think you need to do more research on the E Class technology. It is not lacking at all. It can be parked remotely without anyone in the car as well amd also has autonomous driving capabilities. You keep saying it’s lacking yet it isn’t. You haven’t done the requisite research.

7. Dan Cowan says:

Anyone who comes to BMWblog to learn about the brand just has to look @ these comments to realize we’re on the wrong page. These “people” don’t type, they shovel.