BMW 5 Series Touring vs Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate vs Audi A6 Avant

5-series, News | February 2nd, 2017 by 17
Bild Vergleich BMW 5er Touring G31 Audi A6 Avant Mercedes E Klasse T Modell 02 750x500

BMW recently debuted its new 5 Series Touring, the wagon variant of the brand’s sixth-generation 5 Series. While the new 5 Series Touring looks great and features all of the G30 goodness that we first saw in its sedan counterpart, it’s going to have some tough competition when it finally hits the market. The Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate is still quite new and isa great looking, great driving wagon. Although the Audi A6 Avant is rather old, and will be replaced next year, it’s still a very handsome looking car and a super all-around daily driver. But let’s just take a look at how these cars compare, in terms of looks.

Each of these wagons, front the B-pillar forward, look identical to their sedan variant siblings. So we’re not going to get into how their front ends look, as we’ve already done that. We’re going to take a look at the wagon bits and compare how each of these cars look in long-roof configuration.

Bild Vergleich BMW 5er Touring G31 Audi A6 Avant Mercedes E Klasse T Modell 03 750x750

In profile, the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 Avant are both really close, but it’s the 5 Series that takes it. Both are really handsome, but it’s the 5er’s Hofmeister Kink and more muscular shoulder line that gives the rear end a more powerful, more exciting look. While the E-Class is a handsome car, of that there’s no doubt, it lacks any visual drama or excitement, especially when compared to the 5 Series. The Audi A6 is also a bit more reserved than the BMW, but it has a sort of science-y, high-tech look that makes it more interesting than the very sedate Benz. Also, I’ve never been a fan of the D-pillar on Mercedes wagons, as there’s just something off about it. The way the glass swoops down gently but the rear hatch stays so upright, it just gives the rear end a very wide, un-athletic look.

Bild Vergleich BMW 5er Touring G31 Audi A6 Avant Mercedes E Klasse T Modell 04 750x562

From the back, I actually think the Audi A6 Avant is the best looking car of the three, with the BMW 5 Series being next and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class being third best. The taillights do it, as the Audi’s rest nicely above the license plate, giving it a more aggressive look. The 5 Series’ taillights look good, but the rear end is the lease exciting part of the new 5 Series and that trend continues here. Out back on the Benz, things are Ambien-level dull. It’s just not an interesting looking rear end and wouldn’t’ look out of place on a Toyota Camry. Which is a shame because the rest of the E-Class looks handsome and sophisticated, it just looks dull from the rear.

Inside, all three cars provide a ton of trunk space and practicality. The new BMW 5 Series Touring offers the least, though, with 565 to 1,680 liters of space, with the rear seats up and down, respectively. Audi’s A6 Avant boasts just a bit more, with 570 and 1,700. What’s most impressive about the Benz is that it bests the front-drive-based Audi by a lot, swallowing 640 to 1,820 liters. I guess that boring and strange looking rear end serves a purpose.

In terms of overall looks, the BMW 5 Series Touring is the best looking car of the three, with the Audi A6 Avant not far behind despite its age and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate lagging in third place. However, all three cars look great overall and would make any owner happy. The Benz isn’t a bad looking car, just a bit too sedate to keep up with the more interesting and exciting looking Bavarians.

[Source: Bimmertoday]

17 responses to “BMW 5 Series Touring vs Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate vs Audi A6 Avant”

1. Marcelo Macedo says:

It’s impressive how gorgeous is the design of the Audi even after so many years. They can maintain this design for many years if they wish.

• Audi’s designs are very smart. They get criticized for being too simple but simple ages well. Look at a 10 year old A8 and it sill looks impressive and luxurious.

• Alexander S says:

My opinion is that Audi’s design is too german. It is very boooring. It is too correct. As student who knows everything and gets all high marks but very boring in sigle conversation))

• Paco says:

I agree with you. Especially the mid cycle refreshed A6 sedan or Avant with the new LED lights. Proportions are really good and still looks modern despite its age. The 5 series looks great too and it definitely has an edge when comparing both interiors. I wished the cockpit display was fully digital like in the E class and in Audi’s newer models.
      I also noticed the 5 series long front overhang. Almost as long as in the A6.

My favorite current wagon has to be the Volvo V90.

• Marcelo Macedo says:

WOW, really? I absolutely LOVE that BMW has made a digital cluster that mix the original analogic design. It is one of the best part of the car for me.
        And I agree with you. I adore the V90, especially inside. Maybe the best wagon is the A6 outside, with the V90 finish and the BMW cluster hehehehe

• I agree on the gauges cluster. The mix of digital and analog looks far better than a fully digital screen, especially the way Mercedes does it. Fully digital screens do not age well, just look at the digital dashes of Audis and Corvettes from the ’80s. Yuck.

• Hahn says:

OMG…hard to say this but Audi still looks the best. They hit that x something with Avant, proportions and side view are beautiful. Think if I would bought G31 I would always look at Audi Avants, if I would go with Audi most probably I wouldn’t look at G31…

2. BOUCHEZPHOTO says:

Too bad is not going to be making it to the US market…

3. Alexander S says:

As usual. Audi is very boring. Merc is old fashioned. BMW is the excactly what I need:))

4. lionel452456 says:

BMW is my favorite brand in the world. Because its every model is so nice and most of the people around the world are like to use this car. I hope this company should be give us more new model car in future.

5. James says:

It does feel as thought somebody has something against the E Class. Compared to previous generations it is far more sporty looking despite remaining classic. The pictures above are a very poor colour combination and appear to be the standard model whilst the others offer m sport and s Line and there photos used. I love the A6 and have done since it came out. It is getting old now. I havnt seen the 5 series in the flesh but does look good on the inside and out. I have owned a mercedes e class coupe and now have an a5 coupe and would say the Mercedes wins for myself (probably why im so defensive) overall there one of the best estates and having any parked on your drive would likely keep a small on your face.

I have tried to add an e class sport interior with the mood lights. Much better than above.