BMW F90 M5 will “piss you off and blow you away”, per CNET

BMW M5, News | May 20th, 2017 by 22
2018 BMW M5 pre production drive 08 830x553

In life, everything is a bit of give and take. There’s nothing that’s absolutely perfect, except maybe Margot Robbie’s smile. Other than that, there’s always some bad with any good. Especially with cars. There’s simply no such thing as a perfect car. The upcoming BMW F90 M5 is a good example of that. When it first debuts, there are going to be hoards of enthusiasts whining about its all-wheel drive and lack of BMW M purity. However, at least according to CNET, if you can get past its supposed blaspheming, it will blow you away.

We all know the specs by now. Under the hood lies a 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 with over 600 hp and a 0-60 mph time of under 3.5 seconds. So it’s properly fast, not even just sport sedan fast. It will rival some exotic supercars. But after the engine, fans are a bit upset with the rest of it.

2018 BMW M5 pre production drive 57 830x554

Bolted to that powerhouse of a V8 is a traditional automatic transmission. That’s right, not a dual-clutch or even a manual. A torque-converter ‘slushbox’ auto. That automatic sends power to all four wheels, under most normal circumstances.

However, BMW has done something quite clever and very nice for fans. It’s included a completely rear-wheel drive mode which, at the touch of a button, sends you back to the good ole days. Lovely. It will even keep that front axle disconnected regardless of how slidey things get. So smoke the rears up, slide it around, go nuts. It will keep the fronts free to steer and only steer.

2018 BMW M5 pre production drive 40 830x554

We haven’t driven it yet (begrudgingly), but from what we understand it’s an absolute monster of a car. The new F90 M5 is capable of speeds that seem irresponsible in a four-door car and acceleration that can actually cause trauma. But it does it all with impressive technology, engineering and, usually, all four wheels.

So yes, it will piss some people off. It isn’t an M5 of old and it isn’t the pure sports car many enthusiasts are hoping it to be. Instead, it’s a super sedan that, if you can get past its departure from its history, will blow you away. Good stuff.

[Source: CNET]

22 responses to “BMW F90 M5 will “piss you off and blow you away”, per CNET”

1. asd says:

Boring stuff.

2. Fritz says:

” When it first debuts, there are going to be hoards of enthusiasts whining about its all-wheel drive and lack of BMW M purity.”

Why? It, indeed, has RWD at the push of a button. I’m surprised they didn’t introduce this sooner.

• Kaisuke971 says:

The problem with AWD is not the actual fact it’s AWD, it’s that it adds 63kg to the car and mainly at the front. Also, here, the DCT is (according to BMW) not compatible to the system. Considering that it weight around 20 kg less than the ZF, it’s effectively about 80kg of weight added to the car.

That’s the real issue. Plus the fact the shifts won’t be as instant of course but it’s not a direct problem.

• Fritz says:

It shouldn’t be that much of a problem. The F90 is lighter than the F10.

• Kaisuke971 says:

I hear you, but it could have been even lighter: that’s the point.

• Tunmishe Oke says:

And the increase in THP because there is greater efficiency in hp transmission to the road would more than compensate for any additional weight 220-80 kg and less BHP-THP

3. Tunmishe Oke says:

Too much nit picking. No where to drive even an M550I X in its fully opened valve majesty and we are arguing over the purity of a monster called the M5.

• Fritz says:

Very good point! The 550i doesn’t even have the RWD modus.

• Kaisuke971 says:

To be honest, the 2WD mode is mainly to calm the “purists” down. It’s very clear that 4WD Sport will be perfect for the vast majority of the future owners.

• Zipping🏎 says:

I owned the last 3 M5 generation. In my F10 I clamour for the AWD option. Too much power for the rear to handle unless you are totally focus every time. I own an X6 50i and the ZF 8 speed is the best transmission I’ve had. Yes including the DCT imho..can’t wait for this next M5..

• Tunmishe Oke says:

Hope ZF has improved their transmissions. I owned an 850i in the early 90s and that was the problem, the ZF transmission. Killed an otherwise great GT at the time, and I had to have the transmission replaced after only 2 years. Cost me the world back then as they didn’t have all these fancy warranties they have now.

• Fritz says:

I can imagine that automatics (in general) pretty much sucked back then.

• Ricky Calo says:

C’mon man I’m sure ZF has made major progress since the 90’s. Damn near 30’years.

• Tunmishe Oke says:

I trust they should have. Just musing on the past.

4. 2sfhim says:

The thing is, the “ultimate driving machine” is not the car which will “piss you off and blow you away”. It’s easy to piss off and blow away somebody, it’s much harder to create a driving machine.

5. Will ._.Var says:

The M5 is going to be an absolute beast. I really can’t wait to see it in production form.
    This new G30 chassis seems to be a cracker… will be great to see what it will be like after the M5 treatment!!

6. James says:

I’m really looking forward to this car. I am glad there is no manual in this car – it’s 2017, not 1930. Things should be done for you with technology, software and be the best it can be now. I am also glad it is 4wd and it will be able to better apply that power without it wasting it on only 2 wheels, spinning, and never being able to fully utilise it. I would never buy a manual car ever going forward – I don’t want to be a robot changing gears up and down and doing something that can be very easily done by a computer. Let’s face it, we are probably not even going to be driving cars in the future and people are hanging onto manual transmissions? Just let them go. Humans are slow and poor decision markers, and I bet what BMW has added to this car is better than how 95% of people complaining drive with their old dusty candle lit manual transmission. I bet this car is going to be good!

• Brad Sisson says:

No offense but you have no idea what you are talking about. I would never buy a car without a manual. I want to drive a can not have the car drive form me. I guess soon you just want an IV full of beer instead of drinking it? smh

• James says:

You better get ready because I bet a lot of things I said come true, and I’m not sure how your going to handle it :). If you look at the future roadmap for BMW and other manufactures big changes are happening because of electric and self-driving vehicles. There probably will be a place for people who want to drive them self (or track time) – but I bet insurance policies will be significantly higher for those people than than ones that have a self-driving vehicle. You do not need a manual transmission in a self-driving car, and currently manual transmissions are is low single digit sales for BMW. People hanging onto manual are in a very low minority. And as someone who drives in a large city a lot, there is nothing I would like more than a car to drive for me. I like the direction BMW is going, and I hope they keep pushing forward with technology. People who want old things, like an old manual transmission, can keep their old car from old 10 years ago, not buy the new model, and just keep driving it until it’s illegal to do so.

7. Kman Kman says:

Ultimate Driving Machine ?
    I hear you guys complaining about the weight but you all are really missing the point I’m a purest I love my E46 M3 and my E60 M5 note these are non turbo the entire line of Mcars have lost there purpose there experience when driving there sound these are the qualities people that drive Mcars want. The M5 was never Designed to be a light nimble car like the M3 but the final produce came close this is a sedan and always has been