2 Series Tourer aren’t so bad

2 Series | February 12th, 2015 by 18
bmw 2 series gran tourer 2 series active tourer 5 750x500

With the groundbreaking news of yet another FWD BMW baby carrier, the 2 Series Gran Tourer, it seems as though the BMW faithful have lost their minds. Name a motoring journalism publication and you’ll find an article from them, bemoaning the idea of such a blasphemous vehicle.

I’ve read an endless array of damning articles, claiming BMW to have officially put the final nail in their performance-pedigreed coffin. And after reading all of this moaning and groaning, I’ve come to one simple conclusion – I’m the only one who’s okay with these 2 Series Tourers.

bmw 2 series gran tourer 2 series active tourer 3 750x750

How can this be? I was the one who was apparently living in the past, yet I seem to be the only one out there who isn’t crying “Witchcraft!” at the sight of the 2 Series Active/Gran Tourer. It isn’t such a bad thing, people.

Let me explain.

BMW is a car company, correct? Correct. Its main priority is to sell cars and make money. That’s priority numero uno. There is a huge market for these FWD vans (that’s what they are, forget the Tourer name, they’re vans) so BMW is going to get in on that market share.

Why wouldn’t they?

Mercedes has been doing it in Europe for ages now and no one bats an eye, but as soon as BMW does it, everyone loses their minds. You can complain all you want about BMW going soft, but the truth is, BMW is a very smart company and they know that these Active/Gran Tourers will sell like brisket at a Houston County Fair. There will be more 2 Series Tourers on the road than mirrors in Kanye West’s house.

bmw 2 series gran tourer wallpapers 12 750x469

The European market is going to simply devour these things. In Europe, they seem to value practicality and quality far more than image. They already buy up Mercedes B Classes like crazy, because they are a better quality family hauler than you’d get from, say, Honda or Toyota.

Families who are used to having BMWs but now have children and need something safe, economical and spacious will love these things. And why wouldn’t they? The 2 Series Tourers aren’t M4s, but they sure aren’t snooze-machines either. They offer all of those aforementioned features that families would want in a luxurious and stylish (that last part is debatable) package that can handle and drive far better than the average Minivan.

bmw-2-series-gran-tourer-interior-images-28

If I’m an average European family man, with a decent bit of coin in my pocket, and I want a people-carrier that can take my wife, kids and all of our gear on vacations, I’m going to look toward the 2 Series Tourers. They simply make sense for active, well-to-do families. And that’s on top of the fact that they actually look good for vans and have a dizzying array of innovative features and will probably drive quite well. I must say, I’m dying to drive one of these things and see what they’re all about.

READ ALSO: BMW 2 Series Active Tourer Test Drive

BMW will sell tons of these and make piles and piles of money, so they’ll be happy over in Munich. The families who buy them will be happy because they can haul their kids and camping gear with ease and comfort. And you enthusiasts will be happy too, unknowingly, because all of the money BMW will make off of these can go into developing new, awesome M and i Division cars. So don’t be sad, BMW faithful. Vans are in, people, just get used to it.

bmw-2-series-gran-tourer-wallpapers-04

18 responses to “2 Series Tourer aren’t so bad”

1. Alex says:

Well done! That article is exactly what I think about the new BMW 2-Series Tourers as well.

2. viper says:

l dont mind 2 g.t. and a.t. , the problem is that a good portion of people does mind bmw for making a fwd van a like car simply because bmw as the ultimate driving machine does not have the ultimate sports/super car , and they should , without a doubt.
    It doesn’t matter if the super car doesn’t sell well,which l think it would and if they lose money on it , it still wont matter because that would represent the brand. this fwd van is good , they will make cash here , but some key segments need to filled bmw , bmw is like mercedes nowdays , only merc stepped up nearly two decades ago (with fwd a class)

3. jcatl says:

FWD minivan from BMW. When does the M division get hold of it? (rolls eyes)

4. ctchrisf says:

It’s crap, It means BMW engineers are distracted from what they are supposed to do. Make drivers cars.
    I don’t my Roundel Plastered on damn Minivans. what is BMW turning into GM ?
    Certainly will take patina off my brand loyalty. Real men don’t drive minivans. That is what wagons are for.
    And FWD just SUCKS. I’ll say it again, I’ve had more than enough FWD to say they are horrible. unless you never use more than 50% of the cars capability, which makes them not drivers cars.

BMW – The ultimate driving machine.
    Whelp, not any more.
    Just a stupid fucking badge run by damn accountants.

5. ctchrisf says:

I don’t my Roundel Plastered on damn Minivans. what is BMW turning into GM ?

BMW – The ultimate driving machine.
    Whelp, not any more.
    Just a stupid fucking badge run by damn accountants.

• jcatl says:

Yes, but look how incredibly cool the family is that will be driving the “Ultimate Minivan”.

• I understand your frustration but, just some food for though, if Mercedes can make a FWD A and B Class yet still produce incredible driving machines like the C63 AMG and AMG GT, why can’t BMW? It’s not as if BMW only has a handful of engineers and they scrapped the new 4 Series project to work on the 2 Series Tourers. BMW is a massively successful company and has made its bones on building performance cars. That isn’t going to change with the advent of the Tourers. If you are a fan of the brand, try and be patient and maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Michael says:

Just as the A and B undermine the Mercedes brand these vans undermine the BMW brand. That isn’t to say that Mercedes can’t still make other good cars and the same will continue to be true of BMW but strictly speaking in terms of the brand or one’s loyalty to that brand, decisions like this undermine that.

• Michael says:

I am very happy that they chose to not undermine the brand in the states though, I care little about what they do and don’t slap the badge on in Asian or European markets.

6. Schm says:

Mercedes can also produce trucks, buses, Unimogs, military trucks and so on. So I can’t wait to drive the next BMW Ultimate Garbage Collecting Machine.

7. Chris Llana says:

The most important component in the handing of a car is the driver. If you’re looking to blame FWD for poor handling, perhaps you’re just looking for excuses.

8. […] article 2 Series Tourer aren’t so bad appeared first on BMW […]

9. Pevvex says:

Do i like the look of it ? No I dont
    Do I understsand they made this car ? Yes I do
    I actually had a chance to drive one . Does it exits me ? No I does not but drives very well if u consider it as car to carry people around.
    What bothers me are people who suddenly mix this car with M division.
    BMW has all rights to make X drive cars and Fwd cars because they supose to make money and they do it by meeting market needs and this “VAN” u like it or not has all potential to become succes.
    Talked to few dealers and they are very very exited to increase sales with this models.
    This talk about BMW can’t make fwd cars or M division can’t make Xdrive cars is childish and at least stupid.
    At the end I am happy for M division making Xdrive cars so I can’t drive one during winter
    Same way I am happy for some people who will be able to buy 2 tourier and enjoy driving kids around in BMW.
    World is changing and BMW is defnitly drying to keep up with this proces and I think they are doing pretty good work

10. Lashun Woodard says:

I think it’s a well designed vehicle an they will profit off this venture, but I am no ultimate minivan driver, so I will wait for the X7, that’s more my style, as a father of 3.

11. Lashun Woodard says:

12. Tung Nguyen says:

Admit it. This car is ugly.