Porsche Cayenne Coupe officially coming to take on BMW X6

BMW X6, News | January 25th, 2019 by 7
3FCA6537 BD0C 4142 87E3 9A428A816FF2 750x500

Porsche has been teasing the idea of a coupe version of its Cayenne SUV for a long time. While it was always a sort of “will they/won’t they?” type deal, as Porsche never really committed to it, it seems inevitable now. The BMW X6 is getting yet another generation, Mercedes-Benz is going to make another GLE-Class Coupe and now there’s the all-new Audi Q8. So a Porsche Cayenne Coupe, regardless of what Porsche-philes want, is a must-have for the brand’s lineup. Autocar recently caught some spy photos of the new Cayenne Coupe and it’s officially coming in 2019.  (we don’t own the photos but you can see them here)

While Porsche is a purist’s brand, one whose SUVs makes its fans cringe, it’s probably the only German brand that has any right to make a coupe-like SUV. While BMW, Mercedes and Audi make fine driving SUVs, ones that belie their size and heft, it’s really only the Cayenne in its class that can genuinely feel “sporty”. So of all the big German family haulers, the Porsche Cayenne is the most deserving of a coupe iteration.

porsche cayenne coupe 750x375

Porsche Cayenne Coupe Render

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look great. The Porsche Cayenne Coupe was recently caught testing without any camouflage and, as much as I’m a big fan of Porsche, it seems like a big miss. I might be the only person on Earth that really likes the way the new Panamera looks (I didn’t love it at first but it’s really grown on me), so I was excited to see what Porsche might do with this Cayenne Coupe. But it actually just looks like a lobotomized Cayenne, like it’s had the back of its head chopped off.

It’s not ugly, it’s just not as exciting as I was hoping for. Still, it should be a great car. The standard Cayenne is already a masterclass in making a big SUV handle like a much smaller sports car, so if Porsche decides to make the Cayenne Coupe even sportier, the BMW X6 is going to be in some trouble.

[Source: Autocar]

7 responses to “Porsche Cayenne Coupe officially coming to take on BMW X6”

1. mod9 says:

The render is better looking than the real thing.

I love Porsche and I would almost always pick it over BMW but that design on the test mules is disappointing.

• U51LWB826 says:

If you love Porsche you must buy only 911 (and sport cars like 959, 918 etc.) because everything else is not real Porsche, BMW is not bound to produce primarily rear engine coupes.cayenne, macan, panamera dont have soul of 911

• mod9 says:

See, this is where I don’t get it. What is this ‘soul’ you are referring to?

I had a chance to drive the Cayenne and a friend of mine owns an X5M, the difference in handling is discernable. I enjoyed the Porsche a lot more than the BMW. The Porsche was only the Turbo, I can imagine how the Turbo S feels like.
        I am well aware of parts sharing within the VW group but for me it is all about the driving dynamics. I am just not the fan of Porsche’s cluttered dash or its styling compared to BMW’s. Admittedly, they are getting better at reducing the clutter. The build quality OS also top notch.

Porsche knows how to build drivers’ cars and that no one can take that away from them.

By the way, and before I am accused of some sort of bias, I grew up with a BMW at home. My father loved the brand and owned one and that is where my curiosity started about the brand. I started reading up on it and eventually fell in love with BMW. I own two BMW cars currently and will continue buying this brand probably till I die, but Porsche is on another level compared BMW. Yes, the are instances where BMW builds or has built a better car compared to Porsche but 9 out of ten times Porsche is better.

Needless to say, Porsche is on my list as my next car. My favourite of all Porsche cars being the 911 followed by the Panamera and then lastly the Cayenne.

I am not into the Macan, I think it is a nice car but a bit small for my liking in terms of SAV/SUV vehicles.

• GeorgeZ says:

It is not parts sharing. Cayenne is VW Touareg in fancier box, the same goes for Q7, Bentyaga or Urus, and they all drive the same. That does not mean that they are bad cars. The 911 is built from wheels up in its own right. So U51 actually has a point. However your comparison of Cayenne (which is longitudinal-engine FWD-biased-AWD) with X5 (which is longitudinal-engine-RWD-biased-AWD) is apples and oranges and gives away that you are more an user and less an enthusiast.

• More than anything, the Cayenne is unbalanced weight wise (heavier on the front wheels) while the X5 is neutral. You must make a very bad job with chassis and suspension tuning in order to provide worse handling on a 50:50 car. As far as I can tell, the M5 sniffs everything and I doubt the incoming X5 M won’t live up to its sibling.
            As a matter of fact, back in the mid 2000s, the 4.8is 1st gen X5 posted a better time than the 1st Cayenne S (which back then was the top version for Porsche), with 90 hp less. The X5 LeMans (2000) with 700hp was a preview for the upcoming name-realated Ms and how good the chassis was for such top-spec products.

Porsche wants the same amount of money (in many cases more) with an overall cheaper product.

• Central Lifestyle says:

Dude, got to agree with U51/Georgey. Cayenne doesn’t drive like a true “Porsche” nor does Macan nor does Panamera. Common thread between those cars is they’re built on VW/Audi FWD-biased AWD platform. Porsche does it’s best to tweak as much Porsche-DNA/driving dynamics as it can into it but still shortcoming on being truly “PORSCHE”. Strip Cayenne out of her cosmetic adornments/fancy porsche trinkets and what you have left standing in her nakedness is nothing but a VW Touareg. VW need to separate Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti into a separate sub-group and allow Porsche build all underlying platform/parts/technologies for that sub-group to retain and protect further devaluation to their brand equity and performance upper-luxury sporting heritage, which Audi and VW have no business being involved in.

2. Icebreakerr says: