SPIED: New spy photos of the BMW iX3 surface

BMW i, BMW X3, Spy Photos | January 10th, 2019 by 14
BMW iX3 Concept Beijing 12 830x553

One of the most important cars in the Bavarian pipeline is the BMW iX3. While it’s not as sexy as the upcoming M8 Gran Coupe or as exciting as the upcoming M3, the iX3 is without question one of the most important. That’s because it gives BMW another fully-electric car and one in a very popular segment at the moment. So when some new spy photos emerge, we take notice. (We don’t own the spy photos but you can see them here)

In these new spy photos, we can see that the BMW iX3 will look less like the Concept we saw a while back and more like a regular X3. That’s not a bad thing, as the new X3 is a handsome car, but it might be disappointing to some fans who wanted something more radical looking. Though, it’s likely a smart idea to keep it normal looking, as it will attract more traditional customers.

At the front, there’s a bunch of camouflage on this test mule but we can see that it will look pretty similar to a normal X3. The main differences will be with its new Kidney Grilles and its lower front fascia. The new grilles will either be closed plastic jobs, as they are on most new electric cars or only allow for minimal airflow. The latter might be there to help cool the batteries, as they are on the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace. It also seems as if the front air intakes at the lower front lip will be mostly gone, though there could be some from brake cooling.

BMW iX3 Concept Beijing 04 830x623

BMW iX3 Concept

We’re not sure if the BMW iX3 will share the same conjoined Kidney Grilles as the Concept, as we can’t tell in the spy photos. However, we don’t expect it to.

Powering the BMW iX3 will be a single electric motor powering the rear wheels, making between 260 and 270 hp. That will be powered by a 70 kWh battery, giving it about 249 miles of range on the WLTP cycle.

We’re excited to see what becomes of the BMW iX3. It’s going to be a very interesting car for the brand moving forward and could becoming a very big hit, depending on its pricing and real-world range.

14 responses to “SPIED: New spy photos of the BMW iX3 surface”

1. Yanchik Zherkes says:

2. Pop says:

I thought/hoped it would be AWD..

3. cnet-970ad33b278bd3b05502252be3640ea5 says:

Isn’t iNext the radical looking one?

4. jason bourne says:

Looks good except for the suckie kidney grille. BMW just can’t leave well enough alone.

5. Joshua Stein says:

I’m curious of what the pricing is. I expect this to be less performance oriented and less “showy”/extravagant than the EQ C and E-Tron, and more of just an X3 that happens to be electric, if you know what I mean. Anyways, will this thing be cheaper than the other 2 who are gonna be in the $80k range.

• Max says:

Right, because its not BMWs first all electric car, so they dont need to overhype anything.
      And I am pretty sure it will be cheaper, as the others are way too overpriced imo…

6. Ted Ankrum says:

Using their configurator, I “built” both a Jag i-Pace and an e-Tron the way I would buy one. Note that it would be a city/suburban car for me, to go with a full lux PHEV for inter-city use. That means that I had 18″ wheels (Houston pot holes) and very few options. Both came out at about $75K MSRP and both were pretty luxurious in their “base” versions. Usually, for Porsche, Audi, and BMW; I need to allow about 25% on top of the base price to get a car I want to drive. Didn’t seem to be necessary with these all-electric models. So, BMW had better not be above $75K for an acceptable car to compete with these two because an iX3 would not be worth a premium above them for me. The Porsche EV is priced way up into another class and, since the first year’s production is sold out with deposit pre-orders, the market seems to agree.

7. BR911 says:

I still dont for the life of me understand how this can launch with only a single-motor configuration instead of a dual-motor AWD. This is an SUV! There better be a dual-motor version, especially for us up in the north with snow and such.

• Mike says:

The US Southern states don’t actually need AWD. RWD would keep the weight down a bit. But, yes, theis may lower potential sales.

• BR911 says:

Yeah, because up here in Canada, AWD is highly preferred. Most of our BMW SAV models are xDrive only, along with most of our cars, save for things like the M4. Here’s hoping BMW doesn’t solely use the sales data from a single RWD iX3 to make sweeping conclusions such as “See? No one likes EVs! The iX3 doesnt sell in Canada!” while it has no AWD.

• Lifeasiknowit_bmw says:

In Norway it won’t sell if it doesn’t come with AWD. Believe it or not. People tend to buy AWD wether they need it or not. Just in case they would ever need it…

I have an i3S. And I actually find myself wishing it had AWD because of the light weight and the slim tires. I do struggle with snow and ice. With the 1-series and 3-series both with xDrive I can have some fun even on the worst weather conditions.

8. Mike says:

I’m hearing reports this car will be made in China? and exported to the US?
    That’s a concern.

9. Frank Atcheson says:

where is my post?

10. Frank Atcheson says:

I found it, posted on the other article. Come on BMW, let’s get these here yesterday, i3 an i8, good bye!