We bring you a photo gallery of the BMW M340i xDrive Prototype

3 Series | November 22nd, 2018 by 17
BMW M340i prototype 2 830x553

In just a few days, BMW will introduce to the world their first 3 Series M Performance Automobile. The debut of the BMW M340i xDrive is scheduled for the Los Angeles Motor Show, while the market launch is set for Spring 2019. Ahead of the global release, BMW has invited us, and other journalists, to Portugal to spend some time behind the wheel of the M340i.

The drive reviews are under embargo until the second week in December, but what we can share with you today are some photos and videos of the top of the line 3 Series.

BMW M340i prototype 1 830x654

Thee M340i G20 brings some sporty design cues. For instance, its front fascia is replete with styling lines and dramatic flares, especially in the middle. Also, its kidney grille feature a new mesh pattern, similar to that of the new Z4, rather than traditional vertical slats.

BMW M340i prototype 14 830x623

From the M Performance chassis tuning to the standard M Sport rear differential, the new M340i is shaping up to be an enthusiasts car which will close the gap between the previous 3 Series top model – 340i – and the M3 sedan.

The M Sport brakes come as standard on the M340i and M340i xDrive with the front brake disks measuring 348 mm / 13.7 inches with four-piston fixed calipers while the rear brake disks measure 345 mm / 13.6 inches in diameter with single-piston floating calipers.

Under its hood lies a 3.0 liter turbocharged I6 engine that makes 382 hp (374 hp in Europe) and 369 lb-ft of torque. That makes it equally as powerful as the new Z4 and makes both of those cars the most powerful non-M, six-cylinder BMWs. When paired with its as-standard eight-speed automatic and optional xDrive all-wheel drive (rear-wheel drive is standard), the M340i can hit 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds, barely any slower than the F80 BMW M3.

Enjoy the photos and video below, and stay tuned for some more exclusive content, including some behind the scenes videos to be posted on Youtube.

17 responses to “We bring you a photo gallery of the BMW M340i xDrive Prototype”

1. maxnix says:

I would be quite worried that black background in the upper grille will look quite bad after the black is worn off.

• mod9 says:

Good point, I didn’t notice that until I read your post.

Almost reminds me of the first E90s with that not so good looking Bangle front design.

I would hate to see how this will look as it ages.

• maxnix says:

Yeah my shadowline trim on the gutters has proved not very durable at all with the edges soon losing their black and becoming bright silver. BMW replaced them once under warranty, but still quite disappointing as they seem to last only a year or two.

2. Joshua Stein says:

What’s with the camo? The car’s been officially revealed

3. Arunabh says:

I am still hoping that this grille will be replaced by the standard one eventually. Rest all is acceptable.

We are still ok with mundane and somber BMWs but not with such cartoon stupidities.

4. Dailybimmer says:

Best looking kidney grill ever. Best looking interior of all time. Best looking front fascia. Best headlights style ever. Only the rear lights needs already another facelift.

5. superjack says:

Hopefully camo comes as a standard option to hide all that embarrassing exterior.

6. Matt Stokes says:

I’d prefer traditional grille slats personally.

• maxnix says:

Initially, I felt the same way that you did. But now I’m willing to accept this new pattern perhaps. It is a little funny that now that BMW has produced a more dramatic front end, people are coming out and saying it’s overwrought. I only say thank God it’s not a Lexus.

7. maxnix says:

I wonder why they didn’t have any rear wheel drive versions for you to drive?