Last week, we launched the second episode of our “Be A Designer” project, an initiative that allows all of you to express your opinion regarding the design lines of current BMW models. While the first time we decided to go with the 3 Series Sedan, this time around, the new 7 Series was the subject of our social experiment.
Some of you disagreed with this choice since the new 7 indeed is one of the best designs we have seen in a while. But on the other hand, there were still plenty BMW fans that would have liked to “operate” small changes in the design lines. So we listened to you, we gathered your advice and opinions and passed them onto to our rendering artist, Andrei.
The results? Quite interesting we might add and while the 3 Series redesign was more adventurous and unique, the 7 kept its major design lines, but added some design cues that provide a more aggressive look at the front-end and a rounded, not so radical design lines at the rear.
The wheels on the blue painted 7, come from the CS Concept, on the red car we redesigned the Style 37 wheels found on the older 750i E38 and last but not least, on the gray painted model, we “touched” the Style 312 wheels.
High Resolution Image
Our next project will revolve around the BMW 1 Series Coupe, a vehicle that has lots of fans and gives you and us the opportunity to redesign it more drastically, revolutionary and adventurous, so stay tuned for our next episode. But, if you have any other suggestions, we will listen….
In the mean time, we would like to thank everyone for your input and also, a big shout-out to our sponsor Classic BMW, Ohio that supports us and our projects.
Project sponsored by Classic BMW, Ohio
- The front part. it’s so boring. maybe work with a bumper and Headlamps? and make nostrils smaller? add bumper like in M models
For me just the bumper, so boring…
- Add a more aggressive bumper similar to the M Sport one but without the chrome.
- quad exhausts could be added
- have larger alloy wheels
- don’t add LED lights.
- about the bumper, either like M models
- I would like to see a very simple but elegant front bumper/air intake. One wide opening with nice subtle detailing on the edges. No chrome inset.
- go back to incorporating the grill into the hood. That was so much more pleasing to the eye. Now there’s just this abrupt gap there.
- 1st i would like to see it 7er in some kind of red or even netter in blue
- 2nd tint the windows
- 3rd sharpen the headlights top angle
- 4th black out the rear lights
- 5th change bumper to M without chrome
- 6th put a after market crazy same colored rims…
- Front part: Change headlamps in a way that they are on 5 GT series.
- I would like to see more dramatic side panels, the ones are the car now are to boring imo. maybe lower the belt line in tad, and decrease the shapness of the belt line crease, while perhaps making it a little bigger?
- smaller more angular grilles
- nicer wheels
- rocker panels that don’t curve under
- the hofmeister kink a bit kinkier
- fix the front bumper, it is very boring
- maybe make the kidney grills a bit smaller and add some design curves into the bumper
- If the C-pillar to the 7-series were more angled and the cabin made to look a bit more aggressive like the CLS then this car could be truly beautiful.
- Redesign the hood so it has something similar to the new V shaped “power bulge” on it. But not quite the full length of the hood since it’s already a long car and does not need to look longer.
- Bring the handle line on the doors down about 2 inches to make the door and overall car appear lower.
- Make the Kidney Grills smaller (at least shorten the height/ leave the width; similar to the new Z4’s)
- The side skirts need a little more definition and the door should be the flatter part. (The skirt is completely flat compared to my e46 325xi). Also, bring the total height of the side skirt up slightly and shorten the total door’s height (maybe about 1 – 1 1/2 inches).
- The front intakes on the bumper are too open. Make them more like the Z4’s how they come in towards the center on the inner part of the brake duct (derived off the ///M models). I would really like to see a hybrid of an ///M bumper and the Z4’s.
- The taillights upper line should be at the same level as the chrome accent bar that goes across the width of the trunk also not a fan of the chrome bar. Integrate the reverse light into the the red light on the trunk. And also bring the base line of all the taillights up a little to also make the car seem lower and wider (similar to the e9X coupe).
- Delete the rear deflectors on the bumper.
- Make the vertical seam between the rear bumper and rear quarter panel slightly less vertical/not as noticeable.
- Make a smoother transition between the trunk lid and the rear quarter panels to get ride of that “Bangle” design. Also, make the lip on the trunk lid slightly less rounded. Maybe incorporate a more CSL-esque lip?
- ACS rear diffuser (or something similar). Also delete the incorporated tail-pipes an have just a cutout for them. The oval shape is also not my favorite, so maybe quad pipes (BMW did use quad-pipes on all of their stock e31s for you naysayers about having quad-pipes on a non-M).
- Lower the ride height by about 1 inch.
- 30% tint on everything but the windshield.
- But I would love to see a set of the newly redesigned wheels that are like the style 37’s (not sure if they are 18″ or 19″, but they should be 19″ for this car. They’re used on the 3 series performance package); or a 19″ redesigned version of the style 42’s (not the like the style 101’s); or style 312’s (also 19″, not the current 21″). Non of the wheels should have a lip larger than 1 – 1 1/2 inches (if at all).
- I would just like to see bigger rims and Star-like desing like the one in the Hamann version.
- a glass canopy top, make it a moonroof. It would give it the cool look of the M3 roof with the cool functionality of being able to see the sky.
- Make the grills like the 335i, and give it CS headlights.
- I would like the tail lights to be longer but narrower kind of like e92.
- Vertical bands of the kidney grills to do wider and chrome-plate as on Z4. It will give the solidity and aggressiveness.
- Change the form of the front headlights, do them expressiveness, sharply, more clear.
- Shadow line – not much well, since chromed lines emphasizes the beauty of Hoffmayster’ line.
- Rear part to make over completely, because it looks like Lexus LS
- How about for the C-Pillar, having to extend it further back more, so it looks more coupe like. Overall size would be the same still…
- Remove the rear bumper reflective glasses
- if the car was a little wider but it is not about
- Wheels of concept cs.
change the side mirros, make them rounder rather then squared off!