2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class will be tough to beat

Interesting, News | February 2nd, 2018 by 33
Mercedes Benz A Class 037 830x553

We recently saw some teasers from Mercedes-Benz of its new A-Class hatchback that will become the newest entry into the premium compact car segment. Current, the Audi A3 is the A-Class’ main competitor, as it’s the only premium sedan or hatchback in that segment (there’s an Infiniti thing but that’s basically a Mercedes anyway so we won’t include it). However, there will be a front-wheel drive BMW 1 Series, eventually, and this Mercedes-Benz A-Class is going to be the Bimmer’s most difficult competition.

This new Mercedes-Benz A-Class is also front-wheel drive and it features new styling, all-new technology and, most importantly, an entirely new interior. All of which combines to make the A-Class the most impressive small car in the class.

Mercedes Benz A Class 013 830x553

On the outside, the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class gets the same new face as the CLS-Class, which leads us to believe that this will be Mercedes’ new corporate face moving forward. While it’s somehow better looking on the A-Class than the CLS-Class, it’s still not great. There’s just something off about its headlights. But it is better looking than the CLS-Class, despite being almost exactly the same. I wonder if it’s the shorter hood and stubbier proportions. From the side, it doesn’t look much different from the previous-generation car but it’s smooth and handsome enough. At the back, it seems as if Mercedes figured out how to make the rear taillights of the CLS actually look good on this. It actually looks kind of good. Fight me.

Inside, though, is where the real magic happens. At that price point (expect it to be about $30,000 to start), there isn’t a nicer cabin on the market. It’s stylish, high-tech, modern looking and exciting. IT gets much of the same interior styling as you’ll find in the C-Class, E-Class and S-Class and that’s a very good thing. As-standard, it gets those massive dual touchscreens, which are incredibly high-def and feature rich graphics. It also gets those turbine-style air vents that Mercedes loves so much, which have LED lighting inside of them. Speaking of LED lighting, there’s an entire Vegas nightclub’s worth of ambient lighting inside the A-Class’ cabin. The built quality might be a bit sub-par in places, as we’ve seen in many modern Mercedes’, but no one can deny its great styling, which will surely appeal to the sort of younger audience that will be buying the Mercedes-Benz A-Class. It’s a good move.

Mercedes Benz A Class 007 830x553

Another interesting bit, the new A-Class will feature the brand’s newest technology and will be the first to do so. It’s called “MBUX” and it’s Mercedes’ new artificial intelligence tech. So it can respond to commands much like Siri or Alexa. Just saying “Hey, Mercedes” wakes it up and you can ask it to do certain functions. It’s quite impressive.

Under the hood, there will be three engine options to choose from. The Mercedes-Benz A200 will get a 1.4 liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that makes 163 hp. The A250 will get a 2.0 liter turbocharged four-pot making 224 hp, which is the one to get. There’s also going to be an A190d which will have a 116 hp turbo-diesel. We will be getting the Mercedes-Benz A-Class in the US, but it might come as a CLA-Class sedan and it will likely only come with the 2.0 liter turbo-four.

We’ve been underwhelmed by inexpensive Mercedes products in the past, with the current GLA-Class crossover thing being quite horrid. This new Mercedes-Benz A-Class, though, looks like it could be very promising and will likely sell like crazy. The BMW 1 Series and Audi A3 are going to have their hands full.

33 responses to “2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class will be tough to beat”

1. Ofentse Letsholo says:

One has to get used to this looks, I personally don’t like it. The current one looks better but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2. disqus_8YchtRit8p says:

“Tough to beat”?!
    Except with a stick.
    Tough to look at.
    Inside & out.
    This & VAG are not even contenders.
    This segment needs new blood.
    Bring it, Munchen!

3. Kaisuke971 says:

This car looks like it’s mentally challenged. I wonder what the FWD 1 Series will be like, hopefully not like this

4. Simon says:

What is this obsession with narrow headlights..?

5. Icebreakerr says:

front looks like the new cls, the back looks awful. I wonder what an SE spec’d interior would look like

6. matthias magadoux says:

renault engine :D

7. seancorr says:

Now this will sell even better than the outgoing one. Where I live the 1er is a rare spawn while the A class is a common sight. I am convinced Mercedes has rectified subpar interior quality which was the customees main complain togethee with the harsh driving. The upcoming 1er will have a hard time beating this.

8. Alexander S says:

Interior is very impressive. Outside its bland and boring. No doubt new A-class is number 1 in class.

9. izzey04 says:

the interior too messy …looks like design you’ll find in Kia or Hyundai

10. Marcel Lukačić-Marca says:

I thought new 1 series is ugly, until this came. It looks like it’s styled by ricer who won on lottery. Same with new CLS, last-gen was so much better looking. And yes, if you think A-Class is reliable, it has Renault-Dacia engine.😂

11. Martin Karel says:

So far, I have always preferred BMWs compared to the Mercedes / Audi counterparts, but if this is how the “lower-end” cars by Mercedes will look going into the future (versions of the A and B Class), BMW needs to step up the game significantly.

I love iDrive, but this new infotainment looks much more modern, and has OTA software updates, something crucial nowadays.

Not to mention, that quite a few of the powertrains offered include a 48V system (something BMW doesn’t want to do for an unknown reason), with the plug-in hybrid version scheduled for 2019, and the fully electric EQA after that.

Really hope that BMW wakes up and starts turning the “electrification” and “radical new design language” talk into reality.

• disqus_8YchtRit8p says:

Electrification? BMW already sell the largest hybrid range in my market, i3, i8 available for years. Mercedes? As for radical new design language, i3, i8 still look like nothing else on the road years after debut. Have you not seen 8, Z4, X7 Concepts? Inside & out? UKL 1 Series puts BMW in a whole new segment, profile in spy shots already looks better than GTI. As with X7, why wouldn’t they go big in a new segment?

• Martin Karel says:

“Largest hybrid range”? How come then that Mercedes has a Plug-in Hybrid version of EVERY Class from C Class upwards. BMW still doesn’t have a single hybrid wagon, not to mention nothing for the new X3 and X1, despite having the tech ready…

You are right about the i cars. I absolutely love the i3, but it seems like those cars will not be upgraded.

And I have actually seen the 8, Z4, and X7 Concepts in person. “Concepts” being the important word.

Am skeptical of the new 1 Series. But lets wait and see.

• disqus_8YchtRit8p says:

News to me, here in Canada Mercedes offer 2 hybrids. Thought there was an Active Tourer hybrid (also Countryman). X3 BEV has been announced, don’t know about X1.

• Martin Karel says:

In Europe, we get: C Saloon PHEV, C Wagon PHEV, E Saloon PHEV, S PHEV, GLC PHEV, GLC Coupe PHEV, GLE PHEV.

Have driven the 2 Active Tourer PHEV. Was good for what it is. That’s the reason why I don’t understand that we don’t have a hybrid version of the new X1, given the cars are based on the same platform, with basically the same dimensions, and if I recall correctly, BMW was planning to bring it in 2017. So I don’t have high hopes for the X3 BEV.

Not to mention how expensive it’s going to be (when decently equipped).

• disqus_8YchtRit8p says:

I think Mercedes only offer GLC & GLE hybrids here, which confuses me if there are no sedans. Model 3 still not in mass production, I wonder if BMW have production constraints as well. Magna have had to produce some of BMW’s models in the past (original X3, Countryman) due to no volume available in their own factories. With @ least 2 new factories in the pipeline perhaps production is bottlenecked? I assume all BMWs will be expensive, they always have been. 1 reason I anticipate UKL 1 – maybe I could actually afford 1 1 day!

• Martin Karel says:

Could make sense that Mercedes decided to only sell all-wheel-drive PHEVs in Canada.

I do not expect BMW to make “cheap” cars, but they should at least include a bit more stuff as standard.

• disqus_8YchtRit8p says:

That makes sense. Didn’t Porsche originate the charge for everything model? And before them, Detroit – you could double the list price on options alone. Vinyl roofs, velour, brocade, or Corinthian leather interiors, opera windows and faux wire wheels don’t come cheap! People paid a premium for BMW because they threw in the engineering for free. If you want bells & whistles, try Korean.

12. Wout says:

When the recent C class came out I almost bought it, but eventually went for a BMW 3 series. Now 3 years later I’m glad I did’t bought the C-class. The interior and exterior already looks outdated. I think this car will go the same lane. It looks like a Hyundai i30. The dash looks like a Japanese tuning car.

13. Weiman says:

The outside is ok but kinda boring. Interior is absolutely hideous, not my cup of tea at all.

• disqus_8YchtRit8p says:

Reminds me of when GM went with digital dash in the ’80’s, lasted about as long as mullets, shoulder pads & big hair for chicks. Looked like my alarm clock. BMW pixel dash lasted longer.

14. disqus_8YchtRit8p says:

Isn’t this the Hyundai i30n with the deluxe grille package & videogame dash? Where do I insert my quarters?

15. Senne says:

Come on Mercedes… Seriously? I really thought they were back on track in the design department after making hideous cars for, what, like 30 years? With the S Class they copied-pasted the design for all their models. A bit bland, yes. But they did/do look (rather) good (although I always liked BMW exterior design more). But now with the CLS and now the A Class, I mean seriously? The CLS sort of has a shark nose, which is typical BMW (only that their shark nose doesn’t come close to what BMW has done lol). The back is absolutely hideous of both the CLS and the A Class. And then the side… BORING. The S Class and following models all had many lines on the side, which at least made them a bit more interesting. Instead, if you look at the side now you could confuse it for a Hyundai i30 or a Kia. I’ve always preferred the simpler, more driver focused interior of BMW’s, but I can understand that people like Mercedes’ interiors, they’re flashy and look luxurious. However, it is well-known that BMW uses better quality materials everywhere, so there’s that. As a BMW enthusiast, I don’t really care as much, but I do think that Mercedes is a proper Premium brand and the only true competitor to BMW, so that’s why I am a bit disappointed. You can bet on it that every single Mercedes coming out for the next couple of years will have the same ugly shark-ish nose, weird back and more boring side view. This could mean, though, that BMW will take the lead again. Their design IMO has been exquisite: X3 and the latest Concept cars show that BMW is taking a bit of a new direction, and people like that (Mercedes gained a lot of popularity because of the drastic change in design, same with BMW in the early 2000’s with the introduction of the controversial, but futuristic Bangle-designed cars).