Sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 3.4 percent in October for a total of 23,208 compared to 24,017 vehicles sold in October 2016. Year-to-date, the BMW brand is down 4.2 percent in the U.S. on sales of 243,383 vehicles compared to 254,150 sold in the first ten months of 2016.
Notable vehicle sales in October include the new BMW 5 Series and BMW 4 Series, which both showed strong gains for the fourth straight month, and the BMW X5. The BMW 5 Series increased 132.3 percent to 3,396 vehicles, while the BMW 4 Series increased 11.5 percent to 3,181 vehicles. The BMW X5 increased 9.5 percent to 4,254 vehicles.
“Both the new 5 Series and 4 Series continued to perform well in October, while X5 numbers were bolstered by increased availability in the market,” said Bernhard Kuhnt, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “Electrified vehicles also showed strong momentum last month, with nearly 20% of all 5 Series sold as plug-in hybrids. With the launch of the all-new BMW X3 just days away, we have high anticipation for November.”
MINI Brand Sales
For October, MINI USA reported 3,669 vehicles sold, a decrease of 7.2 percent from the 3,954 sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, MINI USA reported a total of 38,456 vehicles sold, a decrease of 10.3 percent from 42,865 vehicles sold in the first ten months of 2016.
BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported October sales of 26,877 vehicles, a decrease of 3.9 percent from the 27,971 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are down 5.1 percent on sales of 281,839 vehicles in the first ten months of 2017 compared to 297,015 in the same period in 2016.
BMW Group Electrified Vehicle Sales
Sales of BMW Group electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles increased 20.6 percent to 15,595 through October 2017 (YTD), accounting for 5.5 percent of total BMW Group sales in the U.S. Currently, BMW offers six electrified vehicle models in the U.S., including the BMW i3 and BMW i8, as well as the BMW i Performance models: BMW 330e, BMW 530e, BMW 740e and the BMW X5 xDrive 40e. MINI offers the MINI Countryman plug-in-hybrid electric vehicle, which launched in June 2017.
Table 1: New Vehicle Sales BMW of North America, LLC, October 2017
YTD Oct. 2017
|BMW passenger cars|
|BMW light trucks|
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In October, BMW Certified Pre-Owned sold 9,961 vehicles, a decrease of 11.9 percent from October 2016.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned sold 18,180 vehicles, a decrease of 16.6 percent from October 2016.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned cars sold year-to-date were 198,869, a 4.4 percent increase from the first ten months of 2016.
MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In October, MINI Certified Pre-Owned sold 756 vehicles, a decrease of 25.6 percent from October 2016.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sold 2,164 vehicles in October 2017, a decrease of 11.9 percent from October 2016.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales year-to-date were 25,604, a 7.8 percent increase from the first ten months of 2016.