LEAKED: This is the all-new 2018 BMW X3

BMW X3 | June 24th, 2017 by 71
BMW X3 leaked 830x553

As expected, the all-new BMW X3 has been leaked, two days ahead of its scheduled release. Courtesy of French magazines, and interesting enough, BMW’s official website in Hong Kong, we get to see the new X3, along with its top model, the X3 M40i. As seen here, the new X3 will be available xLine, M Sport and Luxury Line trim variants. At the front end, the X3 features a “three-dimensional” massive kidney grille with sleek headlights ending just before the outer edge of the kidney and with an hexagonal design. The nose also sits more upright than the current model, while the lower bumper has been redesigned for a more aggressive look. In the back, the LED taillights also feature a 3D look while the sloping roof spoiler remind us of a coupeish SUV, more than the standard midsize truck.

BMW X3 with the M Sport Package features the typical M aerodynamic design cues, along with blue-painted callipers and a new wheel design. Pythonic Blue is also an exclusive color for the X3 M40i and the M Sport Package.

2018 BMW X3 image 1 830x531

BMW X3 leaked 830x374

Inside, the interior is a step up compared to the current generation X3. You get the same driver-oriented dashboard with the floating LCD touchscreen on top of it, and higher quality materials and finishes. The XLine and Luxury models focus more on the elegance of the new X3, while the M Sport package brings an M Sport steering wheel, BMW Individual headlines, aluminum trim and M logos throughout.

As we’ve previously mentioned, the X3 M40i is the top model with 360 horsepower and 500 Nm (369 lb-ft of torque) from a 3.0 liter six-cylinder engine mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. The 0 to 62 mph time is rated at 4.8 seconds with a top speed of 155 mph. BMW will also offer an X3 xDrive20d, xDrive30d, xDrive20i and xDrive30i models.

Here is a video of the new X3.

More information on the X3 will be released in the next few hours.

71 responses to “LEAKED: This is the all-new 2018 BMW X3”

1. Madalin says:

Nothing unexpected here..

2. bmw driver says:

Side profile and rear are ace. Otherwise, those grilles are getting ridiculous now, can we have round headlight coronas back please and why is the hoffmeister kink disappearing? Bring it back! Also why no X3M? I don’t want some lame halfway house. If I have to buy an SUV, I want it to be 100% stupid. Also, judging by the steering wheel, I suspect we might be seeing some 5 series autonomous driving tech appearing in the new X3.

3. Laurent says:

The new X3 ? Its a joke…for sure Bmw do exactly what Audi do… a new génération looks like a restyling… shame ! And the interior… this is worst ! The same as a 1 series… 5 years of immobilisim of style ! Its enough ! Look at the range velar or the new volvo xc60… for me with this style…this is an old fashion véhicule ! Bmw is wrong… and the first place is behind…for a long period im afraid. Very diseapointed… 😳🙁

• dany says:

The interior is the almost the same a 5 series, not 1 series. XC60 doesn”t look the same to Xc90?

• Kaisuke971 says:

Wtf the car looks nothing like the current one

• Kaisuke971 says:

The XC60 is a scaled down XC90 wtf

• Senne says:

ARE YOU BLIND??? For one: the interior is gorgeous, if you can’t admit that, then you’re just a fanboy of some other brand. Secondly: it doesn’t look AT ALL like the 1 Series’ interior. Thirdly: the exterior is very different from all other BMW’s. It features the largest Kidneys ever, the front lights are a totally new design, the sideline has a couple of amazing looking lines flowing beautifully into each other. I’m pretty sure this will look even better in real life.

• Laurent says:

Sorry senne… i have a 5 series today and this is only…my 7th Bmw !!!!! I just want to say that the concept of the interior ( with the ipad incrusted in the dashboard ) is old and we saw it on every Bmw for too many years. Its a conservative way and my opinion is that dont match with the technology inside and its a pitty… when u will see the next A6 u can say : its a 2020 interior ! Sorry to believe this new x3 is just… as usual. Classical and conventional.

• Senne says:

Well, if that’s your opinion then that’s fine. But BMW hasn’t been doing this design for a long time. The F10 still had the screen in the dash, and it was produced from 2009, so they’ve been doing this design for less than 10 years and it has evolved since they first started using it. I think the 1 Series was the first one? Audi’s interiors are just as boring as the exterior imo so nothing futuristic about that… But hey if you don’t like it, then that’s alright. I personally think it looks amazing and imo BMW currently has some of the best looking, most luxurious interiors on the market.

• Terry Cowan says:

It’s a Volkswagen interior.

• Chinese Dragon says:

BMW evolves to something worse than Audi in exterior design, the lines in all new models are so predictable, I dislike the abandon of the Hofmeister kink in the new X3 and the 6 GT, also there’s something wrong with the BMW bumper design, they are messy without any reason. The interior design is a predictable evolution like the new 5 series, 7 series and X1 interiors, looks old, the future of interior design pass through the fusion of decorative layers with a display, like the integrated display in Alfa Romeo Giulia, the clima controls in Range Rover Velar and various controls in 2017 Porsche Panamera, the use of a tablet like screen on the upper part of the dash is cheap, they should do more, revolutionise the interior design of the future BMW, poor job by BMW design,

• Terry Cowan says:

BMW still get grief over Bangle butt, their design is always evolutionary, the word you reference in your 1st sentence. If you don’t think they innovate? You’ve never seen the i3 or i8. Their interiors are also evolutionary, you can see the roots in decades old vehicles, now iDrive perpetually evolves, new software, new visuals, new hand gestures. New designers are on board, you don’t know what BMW design is. You cannot compare a company doing record sales and predicting more to niche limited production vehicles like Alfas, Velar & Panamera. BMW have not doubled their range & volume without doing the same in design.

• Laurent says:

Totally agree with u….but we re not very popular here im afraid !

• Icebreakerr says:

I know man the interior is such a big step up i saw it in the HD video. the pictures dont do it justice the other people are blind

• I disagree, interior styling has taken the design cues from the upper market 5&7 series. Great looking car! Job well done BMW!!

• Icebreakerr says:

i saw that it has ambient lighting digital dash etc. it looks expensive compared to the GLC which looks cheap! that interior shot of the pictures arent doing it justice but the HD video that got leaked shows the interior nicely

• Javed says:

I’m not blind – I can see. And what I see is BMW losing in the design stakes compared to it other German rivals. Heck we don’t even have a supercar and Audi/AMG are churning them out.

• Icebreakerr says:

they said they dont want a supercar yet they will when the time is right dont worry. if they rush it wont be special.. it will come when the time is right.

4. Alexander S says:

Rear and interior are great! The front is boring. As usual they make X3 controversial.

• Icebreakerr says:

front will be different on SE and M sport trims i noticed M40i always have grey bits in bumper hopefully X3M more aggressive

5. Kaisuke971 says:

I’m not a fan, it looks like a cartoon character. I think the other trims might look better. Maybe in person it’s more of a looker as well

• DM says:

Kaisuke nails it on the incoherent design. Just look at the broken horizontal “brow” line from one headlamp to the goofy circular kidneys to the other headlamp. BMW design lineage has always encompassed a distinct “expression” via the entire front end as evident in the original advertisement for the first angel eyes (DRL) dubbed “eyes are the window to the soul”. Some might even remember in the 90’s, the E36/E46 era, people were installing painted “eyebrow” elements atop the headlamp assembly in order to subjectively enhance the “expression”.

Now look at this fascia. Pay attention to the hourglass shape of the center divide between each kidney. This is what you’d get when you have your caricature done at the local carnival.

6. Arulpragasam says:

Of all the 3 X3s, this one actually looks good. Nothing great but definitely not terrible like the previous ones. Interior looks like standard BMW fare, but it’s functional and the quality must be good, so theres nothing wrong there either. You’ll be looking out of the windows anyways when driving. My only gripe is that it looks a bit out of proportion in places, especially the snout. The current X5 (and the previous) in my opinion is the most proportionate looking SUV BMW’s ever made, from the grills to the stance and the kink, not too flashy but looks just right. Wish they would have gone down that direction for their SUVs.

7. Giom says:

Finally an X3 I like. Right away – even from these small pics, it’s evident that some thought went into this design compared to the previous two. Once the high res pics are released, it will look better… till we can see the real deal on our roads. For the first time ever, I believe X3 can ride along proudly.

8. Giom says:

Btw, the silver nose sticking out on that magazine cover, has a different light design. Curious…

9. Hahn says:

Nothing to write home about if you ask me…not sure which model will show new design direction (both inside and outside). If this continues BMW will have audi as main competitor…

10. Will ._.Var says:

Very, very nice. Major improvement over the last generation. I still think it looks a little weird from the front – I think the kidneys a tad too big… but hey, I am nitpicking.

Great design, especially from the rear.

Interior is nice, but not as elegant as the X5’s is, or the rest of the new CLAR and OKL vehicles for that matter. Still a vast improvement over the current car’s boring interior though.

Am a big fan!

11. CDspeed says:

Looks a lot like the 1-Series hatchback, it looks good. But it’s no Range Rover Velar, or Jaguar F-Pace. The interior of the new X3, at least in the one shot available looks pretty dull, and doesn’t fit the market segement.

12. Senne says:

It’s so beautiful! Well done BMW. The interior looks incredibly luxurious, the front looks so different from any other BMW currently on sale! Gorgeous!

• Kaisuke971 says:

The interior is definitely a MASSIVE improvement, but i’m a bit underwhelmed by the exterior. We’ve got a sneak peek at the luxury, X Line or base line model, like for the X1 i might like it much more. We’ll see.

• Senne says:

Really? What is it you don’t like about the exterior? I was really positively surprised especially by the sideline, it’s kinda like the G30 with different lines flowing into each other but it’s even more subtle. I think that looks great. I understand most people will have to get used to the giant Kidneys, but personally I think it looks really great. It really fits a mid-sized SAV like the X3 imo. Also the rear lights look very good I think, and the entire rear end looks really nice, I like the line on top of the lights going throughout the rear. :) I expected the interior to be more similar to the G30 and G11/12. I’m very pleased to see they changed the overall look of it. It’s definitely on par with any Mercedes interior, and I always prefer BMW’s interiors for being driver focused and not too much bling. I especially like the “X3” inscription on the central dash, it looks like a Concept car, the 8 Series Concept has it as well! :D I’m a really big fan of the new X3. ;)

• Horatiu B. says:

I have an interview on Monday with the designer of the X3 and the BMW CEO, so I’ll get more info on the car and BMW’s plans

• Kaisuke971 says:

It’s a bit too round imo, the fascia legit looks like it’s ready for a Cars movie. The rear lights also seem a bit too big so there’s that but the side profile is nice. Actually i like how they integrated the air breathers, makes the car look very modern and sophisticated. It’s mainly the front idk it’s weird.

I agree with you on the interior, it’ll look even better in high res and with lighter colors

• Senne says:

Hmm okay, well I respect your opinion, and maybe you’ll like the xLine more like you said. :)

• Giom says:

I recon the car will look 1000x better in the flesh. BMW designs rarely show up good in photos. Especially these studio photos – you never see a car like this in real life. The outdoor shots does work better.

• DM says:

What you’re noticing is the goofy kidneys. At the top, they’re too rounded and rise ABOVE the brow line into the hood/bonnet. They’re also spaced awkwardly apart from each other.

All one needs to do is take a selfy with the head tilted back, nostrils flared as if you’re trying to capture details of your nose hairs and you have… ta da, the new X3.

IMO this is nearing the Bangled disaster that is the E63 or the original X4. Failed frontal “expressions”. Bangle inadvertently gave those cars the watery-eyed, sleepy expression.

• Kaisuke971 says:

It’s not only the grilles, it’s the whole thing. The lower intakes and the lights also have this funny round shape, not sure wtf they were thinking about

13. The photos posted are only of the M40i, don’t forget that some camouflage photos covered up a different style front which is probably the other lines. Great, modern design and with the current X5 in its last model year until the 2019 G05, wouldn’t be surprised if the G01 takes market share/sales from the F15.

14. Autopal says:

Horatiu, do you know if there will be an option below the X3 M40i that will have the straight 6? My wife doesn’t need 360hp, and I would prefer not to get the 4 cylinder. X3 Xdrive 35i with 300 to 320 hp, and maybe 5 grand cheaper that the X3 M40i would be perfect

15. DevPunk says:

Forget the X3, What is that??? (I tried to upload a picture of what I mean) https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/db3d80765b16dfea814fd5d83edd204dfaf675b051a81ea8085bfb428ac4a6c5.png

16. Arunabh says:

This immediately becomes my favourite non M car in current BMW lineup.
    While exteriors are evolutionary overall but its a clear step ahead and people should be able to decipher the difference between both generations. I would comment on rear only after seeing real life images.
    Its the interior where BMW has paced alot more in case of X3. Very organic, genial, and purposeful. While they are similar to those in G11/12/30, it looks best here.

Just hoping that it will be a riot to drive.

BMW is going to be making lot of money with this car.

17. Jack B Nimble says:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder judging by comments from detractors. To each his own……. I think the car looks great. This is an entirely new chassis platform, not just an update as some suggest.

For years, I have heard about how Audi’s interiors are the best, they put BMW to shame. I don’t care for Audi’s interiors. I much prefer BMW’s interiors and this one is perfectly in line with their current themes. It is what I expected from them after driving their cars for the past 45 years. I see many predictions about how they’ll fall behind Audi now……. blah, blah, blah. The proof is in the sales and BMW consistently sells 60% more cars per year than Audi does. That’s the bottom line.