Rumor: BMW M2 GTS planned for March 2019

BMW M2, Rumors | April 10th, 2017 by 8
BMW M2 GTS image 750x500

There is very little doubt that a BMW M2 GTS won’t appear on the market in the future. We’ve already seen several prototypes being tested, including some high-speed laps at Nurburgring. We are also almost certain that the super sporty M2 GTS will feature a different engine compared to the one in the regular M2.

Packing a variant of the S55 engine in the current BMW M3/M4, the BMW M2 GTS is rumored to develop around 450 hp. An anonymous source on German car forum 2ertalk says that the BMW M2 GTS is scheduled to go in production in March 2019, in a limited run of around 1,000 units. No word on torque but it could be around the same 406 lb-ft as in the M3/M4.

BMW M2 GTS image 750x422

@X-Tom Design

As it currently stands, the BMW M2, with its 365 hp N55 engine, is about as fast as the BMW M4, with both cars being equipped with BMW’s DCT gearbox. The M4 Competition Package can get from 0-60 mph in around 3.8 seconds, whereas the M2 does the same spring in 4.0 seconds flat. That’s mighty close, so with the new engine and increased power, the M2 GTS will eclipse the M4 Competition Package, in terms of performance.

Inside, like any respectable road legal sports car, the M2 GTS is rumored to feature lightweight seats with a roll cage, an M Performance Steering wheel adorned with carbon fiber and alcantara, and a center console and dashboard dressed up in carbon fiber as well.

With more power, even less weight and the same small package, the BMW M2 GTS should be one of the most exciting cars BMW has put since the E46 M3 CSL.

8 responses to “Rumor: BMW M2 GTS planned for March 2019”

1. Icebreakerr says:

Wish I was rich

2. Kaisuke971 says:

I’d rather see a less serious more driver-focused M2, with a 911 R type of approach. A manual “CSL” two seater.

3. Alejandro Schtulmann says:

I seriously hope BMW gets rid of those horrible air curtains around the front air vents. it is like BMW is self-sabotaging an otherwise nice design. too much plastic in my opinion makes it look cheap

• Icebreakerr says:

i think thats only unique to the M2

• bmw driver says:

Yesterday I was walking back to my mineral grey M2 in the car park and saw a M235i next to it. Comparing them side by side, while the 235i is lovely design, the M2 has so much more visual impact. Seeing it all the time, I’d sort of gotten used to it but side by side, my jaw dropped all over again and I was taken back to when I picked my car up and how incredible it looked. The design will go down as one of BMW’s greats, I’m sure of it.

4. 507 says:

Can we consider a production of 1000 units really limited ? The number look a bit large to make it a collector item. What do you guys think ?

• FUSCUCLA1 says:

Limited isnt linked to a number. Ferrari built 499 LaFerraris so there will be twice as many of these… now consider how many people can afford these cars and the BMW becomes more difficult to find/purchase/have which can translate to more limited.

Either way I think 1000 units worldwide is limited