Buy more diesels

Interesting, Others | February 1st, 2015 by 14
2014 BMW 328d test drive review 05 750x500

It’s no secret that the U.S. is one of the worst markets for the diesel engine. For some odd reason, Americans just aren’t big fans of the crude-oil engine. Maybe it’s the clack-clack noise, or the reputation for black smoke pouring out of the exhaust, but whatever the reason may be, we just don’t buy enough diesels.

I want to stress the word enough. We should be buying more. The more diesels we buy, the more automakers will want to bring them over. This would mean more awesome cars like the M550d xDrive or the X6 M50d. Plus diesels offer better emissions and fuel economy, and lots and lots of torque from low RPMs.

2015 bmw x6 m50d snow 42 750x499

Americans seem to still be shell-shocked from the days of 70’s Chevy diesels which would coat the windshields of following cars in black soot. Not the case any longer, as diesels have become so clean that they better their petrol-powered cousins. They also get much better fuel economy, are more reliable and start better in extreme cold.

bmw diesel commercial 655x285

Sure, they aren’t as exciting as gasoline engines, as diesels still clack along at idle, and usually have less horsepower, but they do have gobs of torque, though, to help them surge off the line, which makes them feel fast at around-town speeds.

BMW currently sells quite a few diesels in the U.S., like the X3 xDrive28d, X5 xDrive35d, 328d sedan, 328d Sports Wagon, 535d and the 740Ld. Basically the company offers a wide range of diesels for all type of customers, but it’s unknown the exact percentage of all diesels sold last year.

2014-bmw-328d-test-drive-

So please ‘Merica, buy more diesels. It’ll make the tree-huggers happy, save you money on gas, and it’ll make European automakers bring their awesome diesel engines across the Atlantic. So it’s a win/win for everyone involved.

It would be silly not to.

14 responses to “Buy more diesels”

1. Mike says:

I’ve been to Europe several times and I’ve driven both, diesel and petrol cars. I prefer driving diesels because of the fuel economy and the great response at very low rpms. They don’t feel any slower than petrol cars.

Here in Mexico we don’t have many diesel powered cars. The only one that comes to my mind is the VW Jetta. There are probably a few others, but I don’t remember. We could benefit from the low-emission, high-mileage diesel version of the many sub-compact European cars we already have, but just like you, we have almost exclusively petrol engine cars.

2. Schm says:

Its kind of hard when our government taxes diesel more, when in Europe they tax petrol much higher.

• Ricky Calo says:

Exactly, most of the time a gallon of diesel cost about the same as premium petrol. On top of that diesel cars carry a premium over their petrol counterparts. It’s a hard sell from the get go.

• mckillio says:

Agreed, we need to raise the tax on gas to equal diesel. I am glad I live in a state where gas and diesel are taxed the same, CO.

3. Nettsurfern says:

While diesel is better for the global environment, i.e. Co2 emissions, it’s worse for the local environment/air quality, in terms of Nox emissions.

4. Stefan says:

Trust me, you’ll have a hard time starting a diesel at – 20°C or colder. Emissions are actually higher and the government here in Europe tax diesel much more. It’s only worth if you drive a lot.

My next car might be a diesel because of the torque and fuel consumption, but some of the arguments mentioned in the article are not entirely true.

Besides this, you’ll never see a diesel super-sports car, which shows that diesel engines are not quite suitable for performance.

• dazgreen says:

In England diesels are normally a lot cheaper to tax than petrol. My 1 series is £30 a year

• Guest says:

Diesels are far more efficient than their petrol counterparts. If Audi R18 is not a “super-sports” car than what is it?

Diesel does cost more in Europe.

You can start diesel below -20°C without any problem if you have a good quality fuel and a good battery.

The problem is that diesel available is US is low quality, compared to one you can get in Europe anyway.

As far as environmental impact, fossil fuels are not the answer.

5. Tex says:

Diesels are much more expensive in terms of repair. And you have diesel particulate filter which is very problematic

6. Keith says:

I’ve got a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and I love it. Great engine and great mileage, especially on the highway. I’m not loving the extra 80-90 cents a gallon I’m paying in Maryland for diesel though. Due to the diesel prices, I’m leaning towards buying the new Volvo XC90 next, but if BMW brings a diesel 5 series touring to the US, I’d pay the higher diesel price.

7. raleedy says:

A big hurdle is the poor palette of offerings by manufacturers like BMW — marketing the low-end 320d in the US as a 328, for example, and exacting a large price premium for the diesel. Where’s the X1 diesel? Where’s the 520d, arguably BMW’s very best car? No wonder there’s sales resistance.

• mckillio says:

I had no idea about this marketing rebranding. The 325d in Europe has 218hp, that’s awesome and kind of bullshit.

I will say though, relative to other brands in America, I think BMW has the most diesel options. The new X1 will surely offer a diesel (hopefully my next car too) but there’s no way the 520d would work in the US in he current 5 series. The 5 is too heavy and the engine not powerful enough, I expect the next gen to get it though.