Video: BMW 4 Series at 2013 Detroit Auto Show

4-Series, Featured Posts | January 16th, 2013 by 31
2014 bmw m6 gran coupe 201 750x500 Video: BMW 4 Series at 2013 Detroit Auto Show

First let me say that coming to the Detroit Auto Show, I was a bit apprehensive about the new 4 Series. A whole new series out of what was previously just a model within a series? That’s gonna mean there are some pretty darn big expectations with the 4 Series. Now, having seen the BMW 4 Series Coupe and talked to the designers in person, I am sold. Like really sold. Like figure out how to make room for it in the garage sold.

Though it can be seen it in the pictures, in person the 4 Series really impresses with a seriously aggressive and low stance. Wheels seem to come all the way out of the fenders and there is not much wheel space left because it’s all used up for grip and what fender gap was left has been lowered for better handling. The wheelbase has been stretched, and to me, honestly it looks nothing like the F30 3 Series Sedan. The sedan looks conservative but the 4 series is so much more sleek.

2013 naias bmw 4 series 48 655x435 Video: BMW 4 Series at 2013 Detroit Auto Show

The 4 Series is also much more technical. How so? One example is that the air intake is actively managed – kidney grills have the ability to remain closed to allow quick heating up of the motor to help with efficiency and they can open up to allow more cooling capacity if you’re hammering it.

Prior to the Detroit Auto Show, my favorite new BMW was the 6 Series Gran Coupe and I was really looking forward to the M6 Gran Coupe. And yes the M6 Gran Coupe is stunning. However, after seeing the new 4 Series Coupe Concept in person, I am torn. Yes. It’s that good looking.

I was fortunate to spend quite a bit of time at the Detroit Auto Show talking with the designer of the new 4 Series Coupe Concept, Won Kyu Kang. Most of the information learned in these discussions will come out in an interview later when transcribed but here is one cool detail: to save weight spaces were created in structural spokes.   Very cool, but look like they would be nightmare to keep clean from BMW’s patented brake dust flinging pads.

2014 bmw m6 gran coupe 201 655x433 Video: BMW 4 Series at 2013 Detroit Auto Show

However, let me summarize and say that his goal with the new 4 Series was to merge the Technic with the Aesthetic, and I think he nailed it. What’s more, he’s a young die hard BMW enthusiast in addition to being a talented designer. BMWBLOG is looking forward to seeing more of his work in the coming years.

Hopefully the video I took will help show more angles and communicate how awesome the new 4 Series looks. The only thing that might not be much fun for an enthusiast is that there are so many nooks and crannies in the wheels for brake dust to collect I asked the designer about this and he said that part of the spacing holes in the spokes are there to help keep the wheels light weight. Hadn’t thought of that. Guess will make cleaning the wheels easier knowing it’s helping keep rotating mass down.

Misha Nikolich – Contributor

Designed To Be Driven

The goal for the designers and engineers of the 4 Series Coupe was to build the best coupe BMW has ever done and set the benchmark in the market segment in terms of design aesthetics, driving dynamics, and top quality. My initial reaction to seeing this concept car in person for the first time was – beautiful proportions that embodies pure BMW design philosophy. The rest of the day I could not help but to keep thinking how it would drive.

BMW’s first ever 4 Series has a much lower wider stance compared to the current 3 Series Sedan (F30) and previous 3 Series Coupe (E92). The unique c-shaped led headlights, sleek roofline, and strong rear shoulder give it unmistakable dynamic presence – which will make a statement to other drivers on the road. The 4 Series Coupe Concept is truly an elegant sporty car which leaves a lasting impression when seen in person.

Please have a look at our walkaround video from the BMW stand at the 2013 North American International Auto Show in Detroit; and also stay tuned to BMWBLOG for an exclusive interview with the 4 Series Coupe Concept exterior designer, Won Kyu Kang, in which we will discuss the car in greater detail.

31 Responses to “Video: BMW 4 Series at 2013 Detroit Auto Show”

1. fredyschiftan@aol.com says:

Im convinced ! what a beauty . I love this car the new 4 series separating it from the 3 is a genius idea ! , and this one will be a hit ! when can I try it ?

2. FRED says:

the best and most beautiful car BMW has made ever…hope the no concept be the same…

3. FRED says:

this car has life…he looks at you…

4. Keith says:

The 4 series concept looks great. Can’t wait to see it in person. I
    especially like what they did with the head lights and tail lights. And
    you are right, all those nooks and crannies are going to be difficult to
    clean.

So any clue how much of the design details will make it in the
    production models? The front air dam, rear diffuser and the rear view
    mirrors seems a bit too intricate for production cars. Do you know
    whether the air vents in the fenders are functional?

• Hi Keith,

“how much of the design details will make it in the production models?”

Great question Keith. I think the 4 series looks stunning and
      selfishly hope they dont change anything. I asked
      that exact question of the designers and was told that they are not
      certain yet but there will have to be some changes to accommodate
      various markets and mass scale production.

“The front air dam, rear diffuser and the rear view mirrors seems a bit
      too intricate for production cars. Do you know whether the air vents in
      the fenders are functional?”

they are designed to be functional and channel air into the engine for
      cooling, however, since it’s a pre-production concept it remains to be
      seen how much they have to change it. Again, I’d say I dont want them
      to change it at all because it looks so athletic and purposeful.

Thanks,
      Chuck

5. LaMa says:

Overstyled with lots of gimmicks. Horrible front bumper, extreme bling-bling wheels, reminds me of an Infiniti driven through a Pep-Boys with a magnet attached to it straight to the ghetto.

absolutely blatant. The sedan is not bad but this 4 series is a joke

6. Drkay says:

I saw the car at the Detroit Auto Show on preview days, it certainly was a beauty. The wheels should not be difficult to clean with the right wheel brush. There are a good number of spokes on my X3 too and not to bad to clean. I did not like the slightly curved front hood line however, it should be an extension on the front kidney grill. The interior was very impressive with the stitched seats. Now if BMW can put all the options of a 5 series into the 4 series, I would be sold.

7. dna1943 says:

If he thinks that the wheels would be hard to clean then he never had a set of basketweaves from back in the 1980’s. Now they were hard to keep clean. ; = ))

8. stonesavage says:

hopefully they’re trying to throw off the competition by trying to get them to incorporate some of the questionably ugly sycophant details seen here! Production car should be much simpler. First impression was front lights screaming ‘Audi 5’! hope they stick w/version of original design angel/corona theme… things I love: elongated look of car through c pillar and larger rear window – rear lights; things I really don’t like: air vents in front quarter panels – air intake and diffuser – cut out side mirrors – heavy crease along side of car is distracting. Mercedes now looks like Honda and I agree with LaMa that this is going in a similar direction but hopefully like I said it’s to throw off the copy cats

9. Marco Geraldes says:

Congratulations! I think the car evolved into the right measures, lower, wider, longer ..

The new concept is amazing, I hope the production car will not lose these beautiful details.

10. dec says:

I have two questions 1. When will it launch in the UK and 2what price will it be.