BMW M1 Reboot possibly in the cars — Over 600hp and Electrification

BMW i | October 4th, 2018 by 17
BMW I9 X 3 small 750x457

Every once in a while, the topic of a BMW supercar tends to pop-up. And every single time, the answer is the same – a business case might not make sense at the moment. But at least, the BMW supercar has one other fan – BMW’s R&D Chief Klaus Frolich.

According to the development boss, a BMW supercar is a “personal wish” that he would like to see it come reality in his tenure at BMW. But would BMW consider a supercar in the same vein as the legendary M1?

BMW I9 X 3 small 750x311

“That’s a hard question for me, because I am a car guy,” Klaus Frolich, board member for BMW development, commented to Australian journalists in a recent interview. “Personally, once in my life, I would like to make a supercar. I am very looking forward and positive, and I have not given up.”

“I think there is a next window of opportunity whenever we have the life cycle for i8,” Frolich added.

The BMW R&D Chief says that the chassis of the i8 is the perfect candidate for such a car.

“The chassis is so robust, so good and so lightweight that I would like to use it for a second generation,” he said.

“I have a wonderful carbon fiber chassis for a sports car in my portfolio – currently it’s used in the i8.

“This car was launched in 2014, so I would like to use something like that, with much more performance, electric and conventional. Then it will be very soon in the 600 horsepower or something region and it will not have a weight of two tonnes.”

While a V8 or V10 petrol engines are out of the question, Frolich did mention a four or six-cylinder engine powered the rear-wheels and working together with an e-motor at the front axle. A similar idea we’ve floated around recently in regards to the second generation i8.

Now, the future for such a car rests in a proper business case. Fröhlich admitted the market is small for such a car but that the “halo” effects could help lift the brand overall.

“This market segment is so small … there is always a business case discussions about it … we have to invest in the brand, too.”

[Source: Drive]

17 responses to “BMW M1 Reboot possibly in the cars — Over 600hp and Electrification”

1. Dailybimmer says:

A typical Bmw supersports car that looks very hot and drives super fast shouldn’t get any problems finding customers, see McLaren, see Ferrari, see others. Call it M10, or iM8 but don’t call it M1. A real M1 deserves to have at least 750-800 hp from 4.0l V8. Everything else would be blasphemous.

2. jason bourne says:

Hopefully it won’t look anything like any of the current fugly iNext or conjoined kidney designs.

• mod9 says:

Hahahaha! I am afraid it will likely look that horrible, BMW have lost their minds with their electric car designs.

• disqus_N2EdJql2v3 says:

i8 is gorgeous, i3 & i8 both multiple award winners.

• Hinu says:

i8 is gorgeous, i3 is pretty cool. The iNext? It looks like trash. :) The new G20, G30 and G15 looks good sharp and beautiful. BMW have it in them, but for some reason they keep making ugly concepts and the abomination that is 2 Series and 1 Series with FWD.

3. Pictor says:

If they build a mid-engine BMW then I’m all in. I don’t care how much HP it has as long as it can compete. The i8 is a nice car but it falls short in many categories including performance and technology (outside of its amazing CF body).

4. Central Lifestyle says:

This is positive news. But H, tell Frolich not to be afraid, there’s a solid business case/buyers for it, trust me, there’s nothing to be worried about. All they need do is start building the car and build it fantastically well. The business case is already taken care of.

5. Mike says:

The i8, at this price point $150,000, is BMW using the most advanced battery available?
    The easiest way to increase the performance would be better battery and better electric motor = more torque, more straight line performance better pulling out of corner power.

• Central Lifestyle says:

That, and replacing its puny 3-cyl engine. Heard BMW’s new 4-cyl engine spits 300+hp. Add that to improved electric motor 180+hp for 500hp minimum. Can go further with “i8s” using inline-6 + electric motor for 600+hp. Even a full-electric version for eco warriors is possible. The potential of this car to be one of the all-time greats, if not greatest, is outstanding. No more slacking.

• Hinu says:

Fully-electric is not only for eco warriors… EVs are cheap to run, handle great, low centre of mass, instant torque, no annoying automatic transmission, reliable, no overly complex emissions-combating technology, exciting yet efficient when you want it to be, easy to have extreme performance etc. This is on top of the fact that it’s sustainable and environmentally friendly.

There’s more to EVs than being “green”.

• Hinu says:

No, they are absolutely not.

6. Icebreakerr says:

V8 OR V10 with electric set up

7. Hinu says:

It’s time BMW made a fully electric supercar with a CFRP monocoque. The i8 should’ve already been.