Gorgeous BMW 3.0 CS on Bring-A-Trailer

Interesting, News | November 4th, 2017 by 9
bmw 3.0CS 33 830x553

It’s about that time again, where I search the interwebs for beautiful cars that are currently on sale, which I cannot afford but I strongly desire. It’s a cruel game I play with myself but I can’t seem to stop. Maybe I need counseling. But I digress. This week’s unattainable temptation is a stunning 1973 BMW 3.0 CS currently for sale on Bring-A-Trailer. Nico want. Nico can’t have.

The BMW 3.0 CS has always been one of BMW’s best looking cars. While not as popular as the motorsport-famous BMW 3.0 CSL, aka the Batmobile, the 3.0 CS is arguably better looking. Without the massive aero of the CSL, the BMW 3.0 CS is one of the prettier cars of the era, actually. It’s simple, elegant and perfectly proportioned. It also sports what is quite possible the best interpretation of BMW’s famous Hofmeister Kink, especially with the classic C-pillar Roundels. Life is better with C-pillar Roundels.

217 830x553

Painted in a gorgeous blue, this ’73 BMW 3.0 CS is beautiful. It’s also in fantastic condition. The paint looks really quite good, though there is a touch of bubbling by the sunroof but that’s not that uncommon in a car as old as this one. Aside from that, it looks excellent.

Inside, the cabin is meticulously well-kept. Although, it has also been reupholstered with a leather color that closely resembles its original. While that might turn some collectors off, anyone looking to actually drive this car won’t care too much, as it looks original.

This car isn’t entirely original anyway. Some modifications were done over the years but nothing too serious. In fact, the only modifications done were done when it needed repairs. So it has new shocks and tires and things of that nature. But nothing too mechanically serious.

bmw 3.0CS 43 830x553

The only thing “wrong” with this car is its price. Its current bid is at around $40,000 (at the time of writing this) and there are still six days left on the bid. So expect it to go up drastically by then. That makes this quite expensive, which isn’t exactly ideal with a car that isn’t original. However, it’s one of BMW’s most beautiful cars, comes with the ever-so-brilliant 3.0 liter I6 engine and looks to be in very good mechanical condition. Imagine driving that around on a beautiful Autumn Sunday, colored leaves on the ground and the crisp, cool air rushing through the cabin? I can. I can almost smell it. Damn wallet.

[Source: Bring-A-Trailer]

9 responses to “Gorgeous BMW 3.0 CS on Bring-A-Trailer”

1. Arunabh says:

Thanks for the post, Nico.

It just made my day. Are there anything sexier out there than this beaut !!

Drool quotient – 20/10

2. penin theass says:

The csi injection model is more reliable. The twin solex were unpredictable. These had “doughnut” rubber coupling on the drivetrain that kept breaking. .few other minor annoying things. Otherwise a sexy timeless design. The ’66 2000cs was even better.

• disqus_d4cEcykOJC says:

Bought an 8 yr. old ’74 3.0 CSA, road tripped to Myrtle Beach (5 of us, with luggage), Maritimes, Montreal, multiple Toronto-Ottawa trips. One question: WTF r u talking about?!

• penin theass says:

i bought the car new when i was 26 years old. and kept it for a couple of years. good luck

• disqus_d4cEcykOJC says:

Good luck?! Car’s age is relevant, not yours, also amount of deferred maintenance needed, spent my purchase price again @ Otto’s in Ottawa. Early injection notorious, switched suppliers, your sample of 1 unscientific. 2000 CS NOT superior, check prices! Also 4 cyl.

• maxnix says:

Yes, our Solexes were replaced with Webers by BMW. Rear drum brakes were not ideal.

The chassis is not nearly as stiff as my E92, but the materials used were far superior. Just the gears in the turn signal control were a thing of beauty, and it was on the right as it should be in a
      manual for downshifts into corners.

The roundel on the C pillar also vented the cabin.

It was not spectacularly fast, but smooth and a joy to drive and great for touring.

3. danielzain says:

“Life is better with C-pillar Roundels.” – Some readers never knew about c-pillar roundels and thought the X2 was the first to have it and criticised it as if bmw designers had run out of ideas. I see nothing wrong with c-pillar roundels especially since it has been used before.