New BMW M6 GT3 Art Car to be part of history

Interesting, News | November 30th, 2016 by 10
BMW Art Car by John Baldessari 19 750x500

BMW’s Art Car history is a special one for fans of the Bavarian brand. For forty years, BMW has hired famous artists to design and paint special BMWs. Some of the most famous BMW Art Cars were Alexander Calder’s BMW 3.0 CSL and Andy Warhol’s BMW M1 Group 4 racer. There have truly been some spectacular Art Cars in BMW’s history. Now, there will be another added to the collection.

John Baldessari’s interpretation of the BMW M6 GT3 was recently unveiled in Miami Beach, with the aforementioned artist present, as well as BMW NA President and CEO Ludwig Willisch and Jens Marquardt, Director of BMW Motorsport.

BMW Art Car by John Baldessari 16 750x500

Baldessari, an American master of conceptual art, was very excited to work on the M6 GT3, as it’s a project like no other he’s ever worked on. “I have done only one work in my life involving a car before, and that was an image of a car. So for the BMW Art Car project, I entered uncharted territory, not just in terms of the subject, but also moving from two- to three-dimensional art. A challenge I did enjoy! The ideas all came at once: for instance, the red dot on the roof, so you can see it from above, FAST on one side and a picture of the car on the other side. I like the ambiguity, having two-dimension and three-dimension at the same time. Considering the car as an icon of contemporary life, my concept turned out playfully satirical, but it also highlights some of the trademark ideas that I use. So you can say, the BMW Art Car is definitely a typical Baldessari and the fastest artwork I ever created!”

Baldessari is famously a minimalist and that’s evident in his M6 GT3 design. But he’s also quite conceptual in his art and he plays on the multi-dimensionality of the automobile by adding an image of the car on the door of the car in profile.

BMW Art Car by John Baldessari 13 750x500

Baldessari’s M6 GT3 is one of the simpler and more minimalist BMW Art Cars in the brand’s history, but it’s certainly one of the better ones. It helps that he had a great looking canvas to start with, but his design doesn’t take anything away from the functional beauty of the M6 GT3. If anything it enhances the functionality and simplistic beauty of the car. So while his work might not be the most exciting Art Car yet, it’s one of the better looking.

10 responses to “New BMW M6 GT3 Art Car to be part of history”

1. Kaisuke971 says:

Good thing that he got to work on the M6 GT3. The car is so beautiful that i don’t mind the simplicity of his art at all.

2. jason bourne says:

Cool minimalist artwork… Is the large red circle on the roof the red sun of Japan? :)

3. Matt Stokes says:

I don’t know art, but I know what I like.. and I don’t like this. Probably ranks in the bottom half of the list of Art Cars for me.

In this day and age of digitally printed vinyl wraps and massive sponsorship deals, it can be hard to get a livery to stand out or make a strong statement, but this just looks weak.

• Kaisuke971 says:

I see that this is getting a very negative feedback from BMW fans. I think people are missing the point: this is a tridimensional piece. Unlike most art cars the art isn’t just the livery, it’s the whole thing, the design blends in with the livery.

I like the fact that it’s vibrant. It’s straight forward: you have primary colors, FAST, the picture of the car… I feel like i could look at it for hours with a wtf face and not get bored, because the car looks good and you have these crypted messages.

At the end of the day, Art is about emotions. And looking at the comments about this, boy does it trigger people XD

• Matt Stokes says:

Looking at some of Baldessari’s other works I can see where the elements come from, however I don’t think they translate to an Art Car.

If you look at his works, in many he’s obscured the first visual cues people initially look for with bright coloured shapes, this leads the viewers eye and mind to look at the rest of the picture for clues to what they’re missing, and the context of the censored subject, in order to try and imagine what’s behind the bits we can’t see. Be it a face, or a leaping tiger. It’s an interesting technique that introduces strong colour, and contrast, and has the viewer paying much more interest to parts of the picture they may otherwise glance over quickly….

… however, the application of the coloured shapes on the artcar isn’t doing this, it’s not obscuring anything or hiding anything, it’s simply not the same visual mechanism… it’s just a nod to Baldessari’s other works… I’d be okay with that, but it is visually uninteresting to me, and this is compounded by the fact that various other M6 GT3 cars have fairly simply white-based liveries, and are more aesthetically pleasing.

Just my two cents of course, I’m no expert… but I trust this is a better explanation of why I’m not a fan than “lol, this is sh**, I’m gonna buy a Porsche instead #Trump4Lyfe” that you might have read on other sites…. :D

• Kaisuke971 says:

Yeah i see what you mean but it depends of his work though. This is pretty much a mashup of what you can see in his different oeuvres d’arts. For example, the “FAST” writing on the door echoes with the “Pure Beauty” painting he did, and is in the exact same spirit. Straight to the point.

The fact that he painted the spoiler might pass as random but actually it’s the exact same thing as when he takes a regular photo and puts a primary color on one of the objects (for example the orage tiger). And depending on the angle, it strikes you in the same fashion. When you’re behind the car, this giant blue and yellow dinner table is right in your face, because in the environment it’s really vibrant.

Keep in mind that this is a race car. Like it is, the Giant red dot on the roof seems a bit silly. But with the helicopter shots on the track, it does make the M6 disappear, because you end up with one giant red circle in the middle of the track (like he explains it).

That’s what i like about the car, the multidimensional aspect. He manages to bring the complexity of different faces of his own art that merges into the own car’s three dimensional presence, but yet he manages to keep a balance so the whole thing still looks minimalist :)

The other M6s with their race livery will blend in with the crowd, but this is different, in every angle. Front ? Primary green, yellow, red on a white background. Side ? either FAST or the car on the car. Back ? Huge blue spoiler. Top ? Red Dot.

It all makes sense imo, this is a true Art car.

4. FoggyAgave says:

Great artist, great car, great honor – absolutely blown. Baldessari could have made a real statement with everything going on in the world this year – but chose to decorate the cake. Hey BMW, how about Gerard Richter, Annie Leibovitz, Maurizio Cattelan, Frank Gehry, Kerry James Marshall, Radiohead ^^

5. Kaisuke971 says:

HOLD ON no one realized, but there will be another art car next year based on the M6 GT3. This is actually the 19th art car, the 18th has not been unveiled yet.. Wtf ?

• Matt Stokes says:

Yeah, I skim read that part of the press release, didn’t make sense, I just figured I’d missed something akin to the BMW H2R ice “sculpture” art car again! Just had a look at Cao Fei’s website… errmm… interesting :D