Sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 4.4 percent in July for a total of 25,777 compared to 26,970 vehicles sold in July, 2015. Year-to-date, the BMW brand is down 8.4 percent in the U.S. on sales of 179,213 compared to 195,593 sold in the first seven months of 2015. Notable vehicle sales include the BMW 7 Series which increased 31.3 percent, the BMW 2 Series which increased 66.1 percent, and the BMW X1 which increased 79.1 percent.
Continue Reading Below
“The volatility that has characterized the 2016 sales year was clearly evident in the beginning of the third quarter,” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “As we have seen through the early months of the year, the 2 Series and X1 have acquired a strong following and the 7 Series continues gaining ground. At the same time, the global popularity of our X models continues to constrain our sales here in the U.S.”
BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported July sales of 30,551 vehicles, a decrease of 5.0 percent from the 32,161 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are down 9.5 percent on sales of 209,131 in the first seven months of 2016 compared to 231,044 in the same period in 2015.
MINI Brand Sales
For July, MINI USA reported 4,774 automobiles sold, a decrease of 8.0 percent from the 5,191 sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, MINI USA reported a total of 29,918 automobiles sold, a decrease of 15.6 percent from 35,451 automobiles sold in the first seven months of 2015.
Table 1: New Vehicle Sales BMW of North America, LLC, July 2016
|%||YTD July 2016||YTD July|
|BMW passenger cars||19,621||17,819||10.1||124,875||136,904||-8.8|
|BMW light trucks||6,156||9,151||-32.7||54,338||58,689||-7.4|
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- July 2016 sales of BMW Certified Pre-Owned set a record with 11,877 vehicles, an increase of 23.1 percent from July 2015.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned sales also set a record with 22,739 vehicles, an increase of 49.1 percent from July 2015.
- The Total BMW Pre-Owned cars sold year-to-date were 121,506, a 12.1 percent increase from the first seven months of 2015.
MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In July, sales of MINI Certified Pre-Owned set a July record with 1,197 vehicles, an increase of 8.0 percent from July 2015.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales also set a July record with 2,629 vehicles in 2016, an increase of 3.6 percent from July 2015.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales year-to-date were 16,296, a 5.1 percent increase from the first seven months of 2015.