Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 4.0 percent in September for a total of 26,608 compared to 25,587 vehicles sold in September, 2014. Year-to-date, BMW brand sales are 249,956 vehicles, a 5.6 percent increase from the same period last year.
“There’s no doubt about the strength of the U.S. economy and that people continue to buy new cars as evidenced by the BMW record sales result in September,” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “Going into the all-important fourth quarter, the all-new BMW 7 Series and X1 go on sale this month and our expanded production capacity here in the U.S. means greater availability of the very popular BMW Sports Activity Vehicles, especially the X3 and the X5.”
In September, notable vehicle sales included the BMW 3 Series which increased 10.6 percent to 9,145 vehicles, the BMW X3 which increased 67.8 percent to 3,033 vehicles and the BMW 5 Series which increased from 1,407 to 4,059 vehicles, compared to September a year ago.
BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported September sales of 31,022 vehicles, an increase of 4.1 percent from the 29,806 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are 294,930 vehicles, a 6.9 percent increase from the same period last year.
MINI Brand Sales
For September, MINI USA reports 4,414 automobiles sold, an increase of 4.6 percent from the 4,219 sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, MINI USA sales are 44,974 vehicles, a 14.8 percent increase from the same period last year.
Table 1: New Vehicle Sales BMW of North America, LLC, September 2015
|%||YTD Sept. 2015||YTD Sept.|
|BMW passenger cars||20,242||18,981||6.6||179,075||172,331||3.9|
|BMW light trucks||6,366||6,606||-3.6||70,881||64,260||10.3|
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In September, BMW Certified Pre-Owned sold 8,701 vehicles, down 0.1 percent from September 2014, but with a year-to-date gain of 14.6 percent to 86,769 vehicles sold over the same period in 2014.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned sales continue to be challenged by low availability with 14,116 vehicles sold in September 2015, a 6.2 percent decrease from September 2014.
- The Total BMW Pre-Owned cars sold for the first nine months were 138,267, a 7.3 percent decrease from the same period in 2014.
MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In September, sales of MINI NEXT (certified pre-owned) were 904 vehicles, up 16.3 percent over September 2014, with a year-to-date gain of 24.6 percent to 8,829 cars over the same period in 2014.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales set a September record with 2,140 cars, an increase of 4.4 percent from September 2014.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales for the first nine months were 20,345, a 19.6 percent increase from the same period in 2014.
BMW Motorrad Sales
With 1,149 retails BMW motorcycles posted their best ever September result. This figure was also 25.7 percent above the 914 motorcycles sold in September 2014.
The S 1000 RR was the top performing model in September with 199 units (+93%), and in combination with the recently introduced S 1000 XR Adventure Sport, helped grow S-Series model retails by 85 percent to 310 units compared to 168 in September of 2014. K-Series sales, boosted by the arrival of fresh model year 2016 inventory, grew 30 percent with 131 deliveries compared to 101 this time last year.
Table 2: Motorcycle Sales BMW of North America, LLC, September 2015
|YTD Sept. 2014||%|