BMW takes the development of intelligent hybrid drive systems to the next level with the introduction of the BMW ActiveHybrid 5 – another series-produced model in which a combustion engine and electric motor join forces to enhance both efficiency and the brand’s hallmark driving pleasure. The BMW ActiveHybrid 5 brings together a BMW TwinPower Turbo six-cylinder in-line engine, an electric drive system and an eight-speed automatic gearbox for the first time. The latest generation of BMW ActiveHybrid technology also adds precisely controlled – and therefore extremely effective – intelligent energy management to the mix. All of which gives the BMW ActiveHybrid 5 an exceptional balance of performance and fuel economy for the premium executive car class.
Continue Reading Below
The drive system generates combined output of 250 kW/340 hp, allows the car to be driven on electric power alone up to 60 km/h (37 mph), accelerates the
BMW ActiveHybrid 5 from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.9 seconds, cuts average fuel consumption to between 6.4 and 7.0 litres per 100 kilometres (40 – 44 mpg imp) and has CO2 emissions of just 149 – 163 g/km (figures according to EU test cycle, may vary according to the tyre format specified).
Latest-generation BMW ActiveHybrid technology: six-in-line engine, electric motor, lithium-ion battery.
The 225 kW/306 hp six-cylinder in-line engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology in the BMW ActiveHybrid 5 is the same unit renowned for its free-revving capability, pulling power and efficiency in the BMW 535i. The electric motor, meanwhile, develops 40 kW/55 hp and is supplied with energy by a high-performance lithium-ion battery integrated into the luggage area. Power from the two drive systems is transferred to the rear wheels by the eight-speed automatic gearbox. In addition to its full-hybrid construction, which enables purely electric and therefore local emission-free driving in urban conditions, the
BMW ActiveHybrid 5 boasts not just highly sporty performance but also a double-digit percentage improvement in fuel economy over the BMW 535i.
Superior efficiency thanks to ECO PRO mode including coasting and intelligent energy management.
In order to fully exploit the potential of the BMW ActiveHybrid technology, the intelligent energy management of the power electronics uses a host of innovative functions to ensure the drive system runs efficiently. Charging of the high-performance battery primarily takes place during coasting or braking, the electric motor performing the role of a generator feeding energy into the high-voltage battery. By contrast, under acceleration the electric motor takes on a boost function. Here, it assists the petrol engine by generating an ultra-dynamic burst of power, lending the sedan’s sporty driving experience a sharper edge.
Moreover, while coasting at speeds of up to 160 km/h (100 mph) in ECO PRO mode, the combustion engine can be switched off and fully decoupled. This coasting mode combines comfortable driving with optimum utilisation of the kinetic energy already generated. To avoid periods with the engine running at idle – at junctions or in traffic tailbacks, for example – the BMW ActiveHybrid 5 is equipped with a hybrid start-stop function. Plus, the power electronics in the BMW ActiveHybrid 5 are linked up with the standard-fitted Navigation system Professional. This allows forward-looking analysis of the driving situation, enabling the drive components to be primed to deliver maximum efficiency (the effect may vary according to the quality of the available navigation data).
All the hybrid-specific components of the drive technology and energy management systems have been developed specially for use in the
BMW ActiveHybrid 5. The result is an extremely well-rounded overall concept, which also provides a convincing demonstration of the BMW ActiveHybrid technology’s qualities out on the road. Needless to say, all of the new hybrid components are designed to last for the life of the vehicle.
Design: sporty elegance with individual accents.
The BMW ActiveHybrid 5 sees the sporty yet elegant body design of the BMW 5 Series Sedan complemented by bespoke touches which highlight the identity of its drive technology. The “ActiveHybrid 5” lettering on the
C-pillars, the BMW kidney grille with galvanised slats and the exhaust matt chrome tailpipes set the exterior apart from the other models in the range. Available as an option, meanwhile, are 18-inch Streamline light-alloy wheels displaying exceptional aerodynamic efficiency. The BMW ActiveHybrid 5 is the only model in the BMW 5 Series line-up to be available in the exterior paint shade Bluewater metallic, and it also stands out visually from all other
5 Series variants with door sill strips bearing “ActiveHybrid 5” lettering, an aluminium plate on the centre console with the same ID, a bespoke engine cover and the visible “ActiveHybrid Power Unit” inscription on the special casing for the high-performance battery accommodated in the luggage area.
High-grade standard fittings, wide-ranging options.
The selection of interior colours, upholstery and interior trim elements reflects the range offered for the other BMW 5 Series Sedan variants. And added to the standard-fitted array of comfort-enhancing features is not only the Navigation system Professional, but also a 4-zone climate control system with stationary air conditioning. A wide range of driver assistance systems and BMW ConnectedDrive mobility services, as well as virtually all the other optional extras available for the conventionally powered BMW 5 Series Sedan, can also be specified for the BMW ActiveHybrid 5.
Production at BMW Plant Dingolfing.
The BMW ActiveHybrid 5 will be produced at BMW Plant Dingolfing – the BMW Group’s largest production plant worldwide – alongside the other
BMW 5 Series models, ensuring that it benefits from the same high standards of quality and production efficiency. The integration into the production process of BMW ActiveHybrid technology is underpinned by the intelligent combination of state-of-the-art automated process engineering and the skilled craftsmanship of specially trained employees.
At a glance:
• BMW presents the third in its line of hybrid models with specially developed drive technology; the BMW ActiveHybrid 5 is a full hybrid based on the BMW 5 Series Sedan; unbeatable dynamics and a more effective balance between performance and fuel consumption than any rival; combined system output: 250 kW/340 hp, average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle: 6.4 – 7.0 litres/100 kilometres (40 – 44 mpg imp), CO2 emissions: 149 – 163 g/km (figures may vary according to the tyre format selected).
• New generation of BMW ActiveHybrid technology; debut for the combination of a six-cylinder in-line petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and an electric motor; electric motor integrated into the housing of the eight-speed automatic gearbox; energy supplied by a lithium-ion high-performance battery positioned in the boot area between the wheel arches; all hybrid components designed to last the life of the car.
• Full-hybrid arrangement allows the car to reach 60 km/h (37 mph) and achieve a maximum range of four kilometres (just under 2.5 miles) on electric power alone; boost function brings together the power of the electric motor and petrol engine to deliver extremely dynamic acceleration of 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.9 seconds; efficiency further enhanced by hybrid start-stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration and ECO PRO mode; coasting mode (with the combustion engine switched off) can be used at speeds up to 160 km/h (100 mph).
• Globally unique intelligent energy management; power electronics linked to standard Navigation system Professional; energy management system responds to navigation data – if of sufficient quality – to prepare the car’s drive system in advance for the situation at hand.
• Comfort enhanced by addition – on this model – of stationary climate control; can be activated before journey begins; interior climate remains constant even during breaks in the journey and when the car is in coasting mode (with the combustion engine switched off).
• Hybrid-specific information shown in the instrument cluster and Control Display; energy flow and recuperation display, as well as boost function, shown in the rev counter; operating status, battery charge level and fuel consumption history can be viewed in the Control Display.
• Chassis technology and body structure shared with BMW 5 Series Sedan: double-wishbone front suspension, integral rear axle, Electronic Power Steering with Servotronic; Dynamic Damper Control available as an option; extensive safety equipment, including front and side airbags and side curtain head airbags; lithium-ion battery in special high-strength casing, positioned in the luggage area to provide it with optimum protection; intelligent lightweight design with bonnet, front side panels, doors and chassis components made from aluminium.
• Striking, bespoke touches for the sporty, elegant body design: “ActiveHybrid 5” lettering on the C-pillars and door sills, galvanised kidney grille slats, exhaust tailpipes in matt chrome; exclusive Bluewater metallic paintwork and 18-inch Streamline light-alloy wheels available as an option.
• Groundbreaking combination of advanced drive system technology and luxurious ambience thanks to particularly extensive standard equipment; eight-speed automatic gearbox, stationary climate control, Navigation system Professional, 4-zone automatic climate control and Driving Experience Control switch all come as standard; options include active seat ventilation, active seats, Comfort Access, sports automatic gearbox with shift paddles on the steering wheel, Soft Close Automatic function for the doors and boot lid, hands-free boot lid opening function, electrically operated glass roof, and high-quality audio and rear-seat entertainment systems.
• Extensive range of BMW ConnectedDrive features: BMW Head-Up Display, Park Distance Control, rear-view camera, Surround View, Adaptive Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Speed Limit Info, BMW Parking Assistant, Lane Change Warning System, Lane Departure Warning System, BMW Night Vision with pedestrian detection, internet usage, extended integration of smartphones and music players, real-time traffic information and apps for receiving web radio and using Facebook and Twitter.
• Specifications and performance figures:
BMW ActiveHybrid 5: Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine,
BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with twin-scroll turbocharger,
High Precision Direct Injection and VALVETRONIC;
Displacement: 2,979 cc, output: 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm,
max. torque: 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) at 1,200 – 5,000 rpm.
Synchronous electric motor; output: 40 kW/55 hp,
max. torque: 210 Nm (155 lb-ft);
Combined output: 250 kW/340 hp,
max. combined torque: 450 Nm (332 lb-ft).
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.9 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
top speed purely on electric power: 60 km/h (37 mph).
Average fuel consumption*: 6.4 – 7.0 litres/100 kilometres
(40 – 44 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions*: 149 – 163 g/km,
exhaust standard: EU5.
*As per the EU test cycle, figures may vary according to the tyre format specified