Let me start first by saying that this a “touchy” subject and it has been debated over and over again. While there are many people that love the run-flat tires on their BMWs, there are plenty of others that are absolutely against them and consider the normal tires as being a better choice for their cars.
Continue Reading Below
The purpose of this article is to show you BMW’s point of view or the reasons behind using run-flat tires on most of their models. So, I will let them tell us the advantages of using them, but I will have an article ready with the cons as well.
The following text was published on babybmw.net, an UK fans forum, in response to a customer’s concern.
BMW aims to provide our customers with a premium product that provides ultimate safety with optimum performance and it is always a concern to receive feedback of this nature.
We chose to include Run-flat technology on our vehicles for the following reasons:
- It is dangerous to stop on any road to change a tyre, especially on a motorway or at night.
- There is no need to have to wait for a breakdown service to arrive.
- Safety and security of the driver and passenger(s) is maintained.
- Alloy wheels are difficult to detach from steel hubs.
- On most cars the spare is under the contents of the boot, and uses boot space.
- It can be tricky to line up the wheel bolt holes with the hub screw holes and match the thread.
- The dirty punctured tyre needs to be removed and stored in the boot.
- Another puncture before the punctured tyre is mended means one is stranded.
- A driver can continue for 150 miles at 50mph with a punctured Run-flat tyre.
All of our vehicles that use Run-flat technology have their suspension and braking components set up to accommodate Run-flat tyres. Should you decide to change to non Run-flats, it may alter the driving and handling characteristics of your vehicle. It is for this reason that this modification is not recommended by BMW as a manufacturer.
However, it is possible to have standard tyres fitted. You will additionally need to purchase either a spare wheel with jack and brace set or a mobility kit which can be ordered from the Parts Department of your nearest BMW Approved Dealership.
Stay tuned for our reply.