What are the BMW F-Series Code models?

Interesting | July 25th, 2008 by 8
BMW 3 Series Seadan F30 LCI 5431 24 750x500

A few months back I posted an article about the E-Series code BMW’s, or as I titled it “Secret Code“. I hope it helped. But, now, as the new 7-Series BMW is upon us, we have a new coding system that will start to label all BMW’s present and future. It is now an F with two numbers after it, just as it was with the E code.

Yes, I know it can get quite confusing. But have no fear, Josh is here… I know, corny. But here are the new codes that you will see start popping up. Hopefully you can learn them and have them in your memory so that you can help others know.

• F01 – BMW 7 Series short wheelbase
  • F31 – 2012 BMW 3 Series Touring / Sports Wagon
  • F32 – BMW 4 Series Coupe
  • F33 – BMW 4 Series Convertible
  • F34 – BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo
  • F35 – BMW 3 Series Sedan long wheelbase
  • F36 – BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe

8 responses to “What are the BMW F-Series Code models?”

1. adood84 says:

why do they skip numbers? always wondered about that

2. RawAutos says:

adood84, Honestly, I really wish I knew why. But I have no idea. I’m sure there is some reason along the lines of keeping the numbers far enough apart so that people don’t confuse a 6-Series with a 3-Series or something.

3. adood84 says:

do concept cars get an E/F number? if yes then it could account for some of the skipped numbers

4. RawAutos says:

It’s very possible. I don’t know that they get the coding, but it would answer the question.

5. Mark says:

I think that it will be fun to learn the new codes…..after all, was not one of the new 3 Series and E92 or E93??? Gosh, we were definitely running out of numbers!!! :)

Cheers,

6. plien69 says:

Each new BMW model is chosen among several competing design studies. Each of these design studies gets its own Entwicklung or E (now F) code. Only one of the design studies is chosen as the new model, of course. This accounts for many of the skipped E/F codes.

7. RawAutos says:

Plien69, thank you for that answer. I had no idea whatsoever.

8. mb_81 says: