The BMW M division has just unveiled their first ever BMW M8 MotoGP Safety Car. The 625 horsepower safety car is based on the BMW M8 Competition and will make its first appearance this weekend, at the MotoGP Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring in Austria.
BMW has provided the official MotoGP Safety Car fleet since 1999 and the BMW M8 MotoGP Safety Car is the latest highlight in a long line of high-powered lead cars.
“The BMW M8 and the BMW M8 GTE were developed in parallel, and these racing genes distinguish the BMW M8 models in all areas,” said Markus Flasch, President of BMW M GmbH. “That’s why it was a logical step for us to choose the BMW M8 Competition as a basis for our new MotoGP safety car. Even in its production version, this high-performance automobile is suited to the racetrack. With its innovative technical features, it is yet another example of our quest to keep pushing the limit upwards. With the BMW M8 MotoGP Safety Car, we are really excited to present a new, powerful lead car for the top tier of motorcycle racing.”
To prepare it for MotoGP duties, BMW M added numerous BMW M Performance Parts, many of which are available as retrofit parts for the BMW M8 production model. Racing specific features and necessary safety equipment were also added, like the LED lights on the roof with bracket or the RECARO racing seats with Schroth belts.
Modifications for the BMW M8 MotoGP Safety Car.
- BMW M Performance titanium sport exhaust system*
- BMW M Performance carbon tail pipe finisher*
- BMW M Performance floor mats
- BMW M Performance carbon engine cover
- BMW M Performance carbon rear diffusor
- BMW M Performance steering wheel pro (with M Performance carbon cover and M Performance shift paddles)
- BMW M Performance carbon air breather side grill
- BMW M Performance carbon side skirts
- BMW M Performance logo decals
- Bonnet with ‘motorsport lock’
- Fuel suction pump
- Battery master switch
- Flashing corona headlight rings
- LED lights on the roof with bracket
- Front grille LED flasher
- RECARO racing seats with Schroth belts
- Roll cage
- Fire extinguisher with bracket
- Michelin Cup tyres
- Red foiled kidney grille
- Front spoiler with frozen black paint finish
- BMW floating hub cap
- BMW valve caps with M logo
- BMW M8 GTE rear wing
- Side skirts foiled black
- MotoGP livery
- Customised carbon flaps
- Light control panel