The ZHP is a special BMW. The Performance Package, “ZHP,” created by BMW Individual was available only in the United States as a $3,900 option package on the 2003-2006 BMW 330i. This outfitted the 330i with many BMW Performance Parts as part of a comprehensive application that changed to overall performance and handling as well as enhanced its looks. BMW proclaimed that the ZHP “brings track-inspired excitement to your daily drive.”
Continue Reading Below
But for some owners, that was not enough. Shawn Robertson, a reader of BMWBLOG, is sharing with us his story of the E46 330i ZHP and its conversation to an E46 M3.
Shawn bought the six-speed manual E46 ZHP unseen from a dealer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It has been a while since he owned a BMW, his last car was in 2005 which was a 1995 Avus Blue turbocharged E36 3 Series making a whooping 601whp.
But his love affair with the E46 330i ZHP was short – he’s caught another bug – a conversation to a full E46 M3. Shawn had his friend at Lins Specialty Automotive perform a full mechanical S54 engine swap to ensure this is will become a proper ///M car.
He drove the 330i ZHP with the S54 engine for about a year before he started to do a body conversion also. He had Superstar Customs in Lilburn, Georgia do the rear fender flares and contacted 2M Autowerks for their fiberglass front M3 sedan fenders. Born2doit customs painted the car in Imola Red and then he decided he wanted something close to an E46 M3 CSL sedan, so he added the OEM CSL wheels 19×9.5.
The list of upgrades is quite extensive, so we’ve added it below.
The conversion E46 M3 car now has 174,000 miles and it is one of the best conversions we have ever seen.
Photography by Shawn Robertson @shawnrphotography
2003 E46 ZHP/M3
Chassis 165k miles when S54 swapped with 128k miles
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
– S54 (131k miles) with new OEM VAC Motorsport coated bearings installed
– E46 M3 cluster coded and modded for 4 doors and corrected mileage
– 6 speed Getrag Transmission (131k miles)
– 3.62 M3 LSD w/ axles and complete rear end
– GSR CSL Carbon Airbox with intake snorkel, CSL Map sensor and IAT
– OEM CSL Software with Oil Level readout
– ///M Track DSC System Enabled
– S54 Stock header
– S54 midpipe with Jones Universal Maxflow Muffler in place of midpipe
– Custom 3rd Rear section with Quad exhaust
SUSPENSION / BRAKES
– Porsche 996 4POT Brakes front and rear
– OEM CSL Rotors front and rear
– E46 M3 Coilovers (DGR Suspension)
– AKG Bushings: Spherical RTAB, Front Control Arm Bushing, Differential , Engine Mounts
– Turner Motorsport front and rear swaybars
– ZHP Steering Rack retained
– E46 M3 lower FCA
– E46 M3 Rear trailing arms
– SPC adjustable rear control arms for camber
– BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Strut Brace
– OEM CSL wheels (square) 19×9.5”
– Fresh repaint 405/3 Imola Rot II
– Seibon Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk
– M3 Body Conversion
– 2M Autowerks M3 front fenders
– Status Gruppe CSL diffuser for Mtech II bumper
– N6NG Natur Braun leather M3 Seats (Custom LSeat covers installed)
– Eonon Android 7.1 Double Din Radio
– HK Amp audio system