The 2018 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este is getting ready to open its doors on May 25 and ahead of its kick-off the organizers unveiled the eight categories in which classic cars will compete for trophies this year. Done under the ‘Hollywood on the Lake’ motto, this year we’ll get to see 51 automobiles and 30 motorcycles and sidecar combinations on display, covering all cinematographic eras, from silent movies to the era of modern blockbusters.
BMW Group Classic will also be presenting the special exhibition entitled “Movie Cars and Bikes” in the Padiglione Centrale of Villa Erba. This exhibition showcases vehicles that played a leading role in famous screen successes, including the classic Mini driven by “Mister Bean” and original vehicles from “James Bond” films and the “Mission Impossible” series. The automobiles selected by the Selecting Committee for this year’s beauty contest are presented by owners from 15 countries.
Twelve vehicles are in US ownership, seven marques in each case come from Italy and Switzerland. The selected rare treasures originated from a total of 28 different manufacturers between 1909 and 1985. The Concorso di Motociclette is being held for the eighth time this year and vehicle owners from six nations were inspired to participate. Their motorcycles and sidecar combinations were produced by 25 different manufacturers between 1907 and 1969.
The competition of classic automobiles is divided into eight award classes. In line with this year’s event motto, the vehicles presented will include cars that have made an enduring impression on the road and also made their mark as performers in feature films. Another class will present a competition between Formula 1 racing bombshells from the royal class of motor sport from various decades. The categories will be:
- Class A. The Titans: Dirt, Dust and Danger.
- Class B. From Manhattan to Mayfair: The Golden Age of Motoring Opulence.
- Class C. Shaped by the Wind: Grandes Routières of the Art Deco Era.
- Class D. New World, New Ideas: The Story of the GT.
- Class E. Speed Meets Style: The Flowering of the Sports -[TC1] Racing Car.
- Class F. 80 Years of Automotive Archaeology.
- Class G. Hollywood on the Lake: Stars of the Silver Screen.
- Class H. When Sex was Safe and Racing was Dangerous: Formula One!