VIDEO: What does the new BMW 5 Series do better than the E-Class?

5 Series, News, Videos | October 15th, 2016 by 14
BMW G30 5 Series Luxury Line exterior 13 750x500

Without having driven the new 5 Series, there’s absolutely no way of telling if it’s going to be better than any of its competitors. So speculating on how it drives is a futile exercise. However, what we can do is take a look at specs. This is exactly what Mat Watson does in this new video for Carwow.

Watson lists ten changes about the 5 Series and compares some of them to the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The first of which is the size. The new 5 Series has grown in length, width and interior space. It actually has more back seat space than the E-Class and can more easily fit three adults side-by-side. However, it still has a smaller trunk (boot for UK folk).

BMW G30 5 Series Luxury Line exterior 35 750x500

It also has some new technology features that the E-Class doesn’t have. Things like a touchscreen compatible iDrive infotainment system, Remote Parking capability and car-to-system communication, where the 5 Series communicates with BMW’s backend network to relay traffic information, as well as other info. While that doesn’t mean the 5 Series has better tech, as we’ve yet to play with the 5er, it does indeed have features the Merc does not.

In terms of powertrains, it’s a bit of a mixed bag. In the US, the Mercedes E-Class only comes in two flavors, E300 and AMG E43. The former makes 241 hp and can get from 0-60 mph in 6.1 seconds. The comparable BMW 5 Series, the 530i, makes 252 hp and does 0-60 mph in 6.2. Both of these times are claimed by the manufacturers and they’re almost always conservative, so we’ll have to see in person. The latter AMG E43 makes 396 hp from its 3.0 liter twin-turbo V6 and does 0-60 mph in 4.5. The closest comparable 5 Series is the 540i, which makes 340 hp and does a claimed 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. However, BMW will also be bringing a M550i, with 462 hp 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 and a 0-60 mph time of 4.0 seconds. So, as you can see, it’s a bit of a toss up.

2016 Mercedes Benz E Class images detroit 110 750x563

Clearly, we’ll have no way of knowing which is the better car until we can get our paws on both to do some back-to-back testing. Until then, it’s just speculation and spec sheet comparison. So see for yourself.

14 responses to “VIDEO: What does the new BMW 5 Series do better than the E-Class?”

1. Patrick Morgan says:

The E-Class eats the pathetic 5 series for breakfast in terms of acceleration as we can see with the available specs fro US. Well, I expected nothing else from the shitty bmw.

2. Madalin says:

What a useless comparison. Unfortunately for Nico, this time not even the paper specs didn’t give him the opportunity to say “from my point of view, BMW is better and beautiful”.
    When you’ll have the chance to put your “pawns” on and in the both cars, you’ll notice the better quality in the E class. But in the and, it’s gonna be a matter of tastes, and that’s all what it resumes to.

3. Giom says:

I just love the Merc and Audi presentation in this BMW blog. From my experience, people with the need to ‘prove’ ‘theirs is better than yours’ do so because they feel insecure. As for me, I know exactly what I have in BMWs and never feel the need to go over to their blogs and trash their brands. It’s NOT necessary… I know the short comings of my brand, I’ve never denied this. I just like what is presented to us and that is enough for me. That, and the fact that my brand is widely seen as the benchmark within many catagories… you can try and argue that all day and still be a denialist.

It’s a shame others can’t find piece the same way… Name calling is a sign of immaturity – the first sign you’re dealing with kids. So, why bother…

• Madalin says:

I know also the shortcomings of my car (because I own an F10). My next car will be still a BMW, but I have to admit that Merc is better from many points of view than a BMW (except driving experience).
      I know this is BMW blog, but I hate when a “journalist” is giving his conclusion on a comparison based on his personal taste.. He should take some lessons from AMS or ABild, on how a correct comparison is done.

4. 123 says:

5er drives autonomous 15 sec while Merc does 60 sec. Merc has emergency braking to the zero while 5er only has warnings, no braking at all.

• Jeffrey Scott says:

Only an idiot will compare the pathetic 5 series to the king E-Class.

• Nathaniel says:

Just stop the 5 series has always been the king of the class the e 39 was awarded best car in the world and the new one just might win that award it’s a great car and I do like some MB because I own a MB,BMW,JAG.

5. aqwerq says:

5 series accelerates in 4 sec mb E accelerates in 5 seconds

6. Christopher Yllescas says:

The author is completely ignorant. The E DOES have remote parking. It’s not allowed to be turned on by our antiquated laws, so BMW won’t either. The touchscreen, who the F cares, they are dirty and unsafe. E has steering wheel control, touchpad, command controller, shortcut keys, and voice commands to control infotainment. Look up car to A technology by Mercedes, moron.
    Your horsepower is off on the 43 also! E63 will blow your M550, our whatever you call it away with over 600hp
    Sorry, try again!!!

• Patrick Morgan says:

Can’t agree more. Only an idiot would compare the crap called bmw to luxurious and exclusive Mercedes-Benz. That’s why bmw drivers are complete morons.

7. O@Z says:

I am 65 years old, i play golf and i love my Mercedes E class
    I am 55 years old, i play squash and i love my BMW 5 series ;-)

8. Freeway says:

I like both Mercedes and BMW for different reasons. Mercedes is stately. It’s a more old money grandeur. BMW is more modern and sharp.

9. Jan says:

Without having driven the new 5 Series, there’s absolutely no way of telling if it’s going to be bad than any of its competitors:
    Same interior for more than 20 years.
    If this is the all new 5 series, well I even know now what the H30 will be.
    Plse the Merc E