Who has a nicer butt?

7-series | January 2nd, 2015 by 27
2016 bmw 7 series vs mercedes benz s class 750x500

Before the new 2016 BMW 7 Series is fully unveiled – sometime in the summer of 2015 – we decided to compare it against the Mercedes-Benz S-Class

As we were getting ready to enter the new year, a huge BMW leak showed up on the interwebs. The new 2016 BMW 7 Series was fully unveiled, showing for the first time its new, curvacious lines. While the photos are far from high-quality and perfect angles, they do actually give us a decent look at what to expect when the official shots will finally arrive.

But despite the strange angles, low light and small sized photos, BMW fans have already started to form an opinion on the design of the new 7er. We’ve seen both positive and negative reactions to the car’s design, and inadvertently a comparison with the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

2016 bmw 7 series vs mercedes benz s class 750x250

With the S-Class, Mercedes created a car that is a little bit less formal but far more visually cohesive than the one it replaces. The rear-end, especially, gives the impression of a high-end sedan, with lines and shapes that bring it closer to a Bentley model. The use of chrome comes to enforce the luxurious look.

Now with the new 2016 BMW 7 Series, the Munich design team took a different approach giving the car a muscular look with strong lines, elongated taillights and oversized chrome exhaust pipes. The boot lid is also flatter and taller than the one on the S-Class, sitting perfectly atop the broad shoulders.

So before the new 7 Series is fully unveiled – sometime in the summer of 2015 – we decided to compare the “butt” of the two high-end sedans.

Which one do you think it looks best?

27 responses to “Who has a nicer butt?”

1. Palle says:

The “butt” of the all new 7 series is looking way better than this of the S-Class
    The back of the 7 is def. more dynamic and sporty

… just my opinion

• Jay Dub says:

In general I agree with you. I had an 07 750i. Handled great. I sold it for a 2011 750Li and it was no where as sporty even though it had the M sport package and adaptive suspension whilst my 07 was non-sport. Maybe it was the longer body. Nonetheless I had it for less than 2 years.

2. fdsfds says:

i choose merc in terms of interior….for the exterior i choose the current generation of 7series…..yeahhh fck new 7

3. Shawn Sepehry says:

Side-by-side the 7 is definitely better. I really have a problem how there is a gap between the tail and the trunk seam on the S and the C class; Makes it look cross-eyed.

4. viper says:

both have their own feel, although the s class looks more sleek and calm

5. Rokie888 says:

As a BMW owner, I prefer S Class over 7.

6. Lawrence says:

Can we have some comparison of the interior please, I think it is the most important comparison for a cars of this class.

7. Theodore Richard Brogan says:

I like the 7, but I wish they did a better job integrating the tow hook cover into the lines of the bumper, like the S.

8. The 7 is definitely more aggressively styled. Mercedes said, when the new S Class debuted, that the interior was the main goal so the exterior is intentionally a bit subdued. But as far as the butt goes, I’m leaning towards the 7. That’s not a knock against the S Class, though.

9. george.. says:

the angle of the photo is not the same for the tow car.. in bmw the camera is not at the same height like merc so the rear windscreen look like more small and look no so harmonic with the ”butt ” of the car … its unfair for bmw …

• Billy The Hillbilly says:

+1. The camera shooting the 7er seems to be placed a bit lower and sort of leaning towards the trunk, as well as it is just some phone-integrated one. All of this makes the rear of a bimmer to look HUGE. Based on the designs only, I would prefer the S-Klasse though, don’t really like the whole back of the BMW w/ its taillights in particular. Don’t like how it looks all swollen as if the S-Klasse would kick dat ass just moments ago ^-^

Joking aside, I’m really looking forwards to see how it will ride, 1745 kg w/ driver in it sounds promising and hopefully they manage to match it with a less problematic powerplant than an N63 was.

• jgs says:

Besides the elevation of the camera, I’d say that the 7’s photo was taken with a wider angle lens, form a shorter distance, which causes more distortion.

• jgs says:

10. CDspeed says:

They both look good, although the images of the new 7 aren’t very good. I don’t think it’s fair to judge the new 7 based on a few amateur quick pics. They are good enough to preview the design, and to be fair I’m sure the photographer had to act quickly. But I wish it had looked more like the Vision Future Luxury Concept, rather then just being an evolution of the current generation. The 7-Series should almost be comparable to a Bentley Flying Spur, instead of feeling like a scaled up 5-series.

11. Billy The Hillbilly says:

Hate to bother you guys with this information in this discussion, but it seems I can’t send a PM to any of the editors through Disquis.

… but as it concerns a top of the hill, the current F01/02 7er, anyone with the N63 engine might want to see this

the thread regards an (not only) injector recall of the N63’s.

Hope someone here finds it useful.
    __
    Also, if this post bothers you in any way, leave a word or just delete it right away, not sure about the rules here. Just an ordinary hillbilly ^-^

12. Ryan says:

oh man i hate to say this! but S-Class looks way better, pure disappointment BMW!

13. jgs says:

If somebody had told me that the 7 in the photo was a Lexus, I would have believed it. Still, I prefer the Lexus, I mean, the 7 over the MB. With the SLS as the only exception, I still think that MBs look like granpa-mobiles, so I’ll hold myself off MBs until I’m pushing 80s.

14. jgs says:

15. curacek zmrdecek says:

my e92 is 4th bmw, but S-classe compared to 7er…is way much better.also the new W205 interior compared to 4er/3er

16. Mark says:

As stated in the article, it’s in the eyes of the beholder. BMW bills the 7 series as a luxurious performance vehicle, with the emphasis on performance, much as Nissan did with their first Infinity Q series. Mercedes bills their passenger cars as luxury cars first with good performance commensurate with maintaining the luxury feel, much as Toyota did (and still does) with the Lexus. Lexus immediately jumped ahead in sales, and still leads Infinity. Mercedes has owned the large luxury german car market for year with their approach, and for the most part still does, while BMW struggles. That said, the “butts” of both vehicles are great based on their approach to their perceived customers – more aggressive for the BMW, more smooth and refined (and rather Jaguar-like) for the Mercedes. (They could do worse. Jaguars under Sir William Lyons had styling that was unsurpassed in its time for gracefulness and luxury that still shouted performance. Their then motto – “Grace, Space, Pace”).

17. Jean says:

As a long BMW Fanboy I must say I like the interior and exterior design of the S-Klasse better than this new 7er. But Im judging just from the few leaked pictures of the 7er, maybe if I see it in real life or more pics maybe I will change my mind but so far Im quite disappointed. It looks to me a bit like a new KIA.

18. Dinata_Berlinetta says:

Mercedes was in a different class.

1. Rolls Royce Phantom, Bentley Mulsanne, Mercedes S Class
    2. Audi A8, Lexus LS,BMW 7 Series

S Class has compared with RR & Bentley not 7 series.

19. some_fkng_guy says:

Since Borat took charge of BMW design department things started to look ugly

20. johnbmw550ims says:

This is just an Updated version of what’s all ready there , with no real flare for design IMO, I was looking at one next but not any more, Mercedes here i come.
    It looks just like a Hyundai.

21. Art Ramirez says:

7 > S

22. znawca says:

Let’s be honest. I love BMW’s since… well… many years. I was always calling M-B as a “old people’s car”. Soft suspension, old fashioned interiors. Current E-class is like this. But the S-class is a car of its own. Sorry BMW7, but you look just usual. M-B S look PHENOMENAL. it’s WOW. Interior is also much better in few aspect, however I REALLY DO NOT LIKE THE COCKPIT SOLUTION. It’s ugly and reminds me cars made in communistic countries….

23. Jay Dub says:

I’m picking up an S class from the factory this summer, but I do think the bummer has a better butt. All the tech in the benz sold me.