BMW introduces the 6 Series Gran Coupe, a new 4-door, 4+1 seat addition to the 6 Series line that combines stunning proportions, design and driving dynamics of the 6 Series Coupe with interior room and amenities for up to five passengers.
The 6 Series Gran Coupe goes on sale in the US in June 2012 and will be offered as three distinct models: BMW 640i, 650i and 650i xDrive (the latter two launching in late summer 2012).
As with any new launch, BMW publishes a lengthy press release of the 6 Series Gran Coupe, so therefore we decided to simplify it for you and remove some of the “fluff.”
Here is are just the facts of the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe:
- BMW 640i - TwinPower Turbo 6-cylinder powered
- BMW 650i - TwinPower Turbo V-8 powered
- BMW 650i xDrive - TwinPower Turbo V-8 powered with all-wheel-drive sytems
- Length: 197 inches (5,007 mm)
- Wheelbase: 116.8 inches (2,968 mm), 4.4 inches (111 mm) longer than the Coupe
- Width: 74.6 inches (1,894 mm) wide
- Height: 54.8 inches (1,392 mm)
- Trunk space: 16.24 cu. ft (460-liter) DIN
For comparison purposes, the Gran Coupe is 4.0 inches (102mm) longer, 1.3 inches (34mm) wider and 2.8 inches (72mm) lower than the BMW 550i.
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- BMW ConnectedDrive
- Rear-view camera and Surround View,
- Parking Assistant
- BMW Night Vision with pedestrian recognition
- Lane Departure Warning System
- Active Blind Spot Detection
- BMW Head-Up-Display
- Bang & Olufsen High-End Surround Sound System
- Integral Active Steering
- Active Roll Stabilization
- Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO mode
Engines and Performance
BMW 640i Gran Coupe
- 3.0 liter six-cylinder TwinPower – 225 kW/315 hp at 5,800 to 6,00
- High peak torque of 330 lb-ft, on stream between 1,300 and 4,500 rpm
- 0 to 62 mph (0-100km/h) in 5.4 seconds
- Top speed 155 mph (250 km/h)
- Fuel consumption in the EU test cycle: 7.8 l/100km (30.1 mpg)
- 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission
BMW 650i Gran Coupe
- Upgraded 4.4-liter V-8 engine (N63Tu) that adds BMW’s VALVETRONIC variable valve timing
- 445 hp between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm (a 45 hp increase)
- Peak torque of 480 lb-ft between 2,000 and 4,500 rpm (a 30 lbs-ft increase)
- 0 to 62 mph (0 to 100km/h) in 4.6 seconds
- Gran Coupe 650i xDrive Gran Coupe 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.5 seconds
- Top speed 155 mph
- Average fuel consumption lies between 8.6 and 8.8 l/100km (26.7-27.3 mpg), (provisional figures according to EU test cycle depending on tire options)
- 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission
Packages and Options
Luxury Seating Package adds ventilated multi-contour, active seats, sunshades on both the rear side and rear windows and a four zone climate control system with additional controls located between the rear seats.
M Sport package and BMW Individual range available from launch.
An M Sport package developed specially for the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe is available from the launch of the new car. Among the features included are an M aerodynamics package with uniquely designed front fascia, side skirts and rear fascia. The M Sport package also includes exhaust tips in black chrome, black-painted brake callipers, LED foglamps, a sports exhaust system for the BMW 650i Gran Coupe and 19-inch light-alloy wheels in M double-spoke design. 20-inch light-alloy wheels in M double-spoke design are also available as a package upgrade. Customers ordering the M Sport package may also opt for the M paint finishes Carbon Black metallic and Imola Red non-metallic.
The sporting theme continues inside the car in the form of special M Alcantara/leather sports seats with blue contrast stitching, an M leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons and gearshift paddles, and aluminium hexagon interior trim. Plus, the M Sport package adds door sill finishers sporting the M logo and an M driver’s footrest to the mix.
Also available from launch is the BMW Individual range of products, which allows customers to tailor the exterior and interior of their BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe precisely and exclusively to their personal style. The four BMW Individual paint shades are joined in the range by BMW Individual special paint finishes and a selection of matt paint finishes. For example, the BMW Individual matt finish Frozen Bronze metallic is available exclusively for the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe. BMW Individual light-alloy wheels in V-spoke design can be specified in 19 and 20-inch format.
One of the highlights of the BMW Individual range of interior options is the Opal White full-leather trim specially developed for the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe, combined with the interior color Amaro Brown. Here, the leather-covered instrument panel and Alcantara BMW Individual roof liner are also presented in Amaro Brown.
Full press release and information on the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe