Photo Comparison: BMW X3 M Competition vs Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio

BMW X3 M, News | February 16th, 2019 by 17
BMW X3 M Competition vs Mercedes AMG GLC63 S 14 of 14 830x553

Now that the BMW X3 M Competition has been revealed, most enthusiasts are very impressed. It’s hard not to be, with 503 hp (510 PS) coming from its 3.0 liter twin-turbocharged I6 engine. It also has the goods to properly handle and — while I’m not at liberty to say why or how I know this — it’s astonishing. However, there’s also another extraordinarily impressive performance SUV in its segment, one that’s also quite beautiful. The Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

The Stelvio Quadrifoglio’s savagery is still imprinted onto my brain. I drove it last summer and it was the most violent SUV I’d ever been in. Ever. Nothing even comes close. It’s out of its freaking mind. Which is fantastic. It’s also quite good looking. There are some angles where it looks a bit odd but, overall, it’s very pretty. So how can this new BMW X3 M Competition stack up?

Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio X3 M 5 of 8BMW X3 M Competition vs Mercedes AMG GLC63 S 8 of 14

In terms of handling and dynamics, we can’t comment, as we’ve yet to drive the Bimmer. Though, we can comment on looks, interior and technology. So how do the two get on?

Up front, there’s no question, at least to these eyes, it’s the Alfa that’s the prettier car. Those pretty headlights, signature Alfa triangular grille and hood scoops make it look equal parts seductive and equal parts angry. It’s a real looker up front. While the BMW X3 M Competition is handsome enough but not so much pretty. It’s fine looking and doesn’t look bad but it just doesn’t captivate the way the Alfa does.

When looking at both cars in profile, it gets a bit tougher. It’s not that the Alfa is bad looking from the side, it’s just a bit bulbous toward the rear. While the BMW X3 M is more traditional and upright out back. It also has that killer roof spoiler that looks fantastic. The Alfa’s wheels are better and it’s a bit prettier overall but the X3 M does has some nicer bits. Still, it’s the Afla that has more presence, especially in person.

From the rear, the X3 M takes it. That roof spoiler combined with its quad exhausts looks dynamite and really makes the car seem sporty and aggressive. By contrast, the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio is a bit bland and even a bit dumpy. It’s not too bad looking from behind but it’s not great, either. So the X3 M takes the win here.

On the inside, there’s no question, the BMW X3 M is the better car. It’s a shame, though, because the Alfa Romeo Stelvio has a very nice looking interior; it has a great steering wheel, cool looking gauges and wonderful looking seats. However, quality is lacking badly and its tech is pretty poor. While the BMW X3 M is pretty traditional BMW at this point but it’s handsome and filled with rich, high-quality materials. It also packs far superior technology, making it easier to live with.

So which one wins the photo comparison? That’s tough to answer because they both have their merits. However, if I had to choose between the two personally and could only choose based on looks, it’s the Alfa I’d have in my driveway. While it’s not a perfect design, it’s the more visually interesting one, the one that inspires the most excitement and, ultimately, the prettier car. The BMW X3 M isn’t far off, though. Sure, it’s a bit too serious but there are some really great aspects of its design and it’s very handsome. Still, it’d be the Alfa I took if style and design were my only deciding factors.

17 responses to “Photo Comparison: BMW X3 M Competition vs Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio”

1. tom299 says:

Alfa Romero interior looks like a mish-mash of stuff from the Mazda parts bin.

• Johnno says:

Its actually Mazda that has stolen from the Alfa parts bin. Google what brand Mazda uses to benchmark interiors.

• tom299 says:

They’re not stealing or benchmarking. They literally have a parts sharing agreement.

I’m not going to pay premium price for a car that literally shares parts with a Mazda.

• Johnno says:

Point is, Mazda are turning to Alfa for inspiration for interior design. They have publicly stated they want to be the “Alfa Romeo” of Japan and want the emotion, design and panache Alfa has.

With regards to parts bin, its very common to share parts nowadays. eg The VW group. Audi shares parts with Skoda, Bentley shares parts with Audi. You dont stop buying a lamborghini because the window switches come from Skoda. Maserati shares parts with Fiat, etc

2. Yanchik Zherkes says:

Stelvio Q

3. DTiek says:

Like most Alfa’s, they look visually interesting parked up. This is because you’re not sure if it’s safe to drive the danm thing.

I’m not a fan of the Stelvio, too feminine in the looks department. I prefer the handsome looks of the X3 M. So much so that I will go for it. I absolutely love it. Not that keen on the X4 though…

4. Nabeel Awwad says:

Bmw X3 M it’s a amazing one 😍

5. maxnix says:

BMW is so far ahead of the Alfa interior it is sad. Alfa has a nice hood line, but I am not “seduced” by it nor the BMW one.

Overall, I cannot wait until this is available in an 800 lb. lighter sedan or coupe. Too bad about no wagon, but not importing the B5 Touring means BMW is just leaving money on the table for MB.

6. pacho kardana says:

Now the Judge Pacho is here – ME! Now I got the rights to judge . My decision : 1 Alfa looks interesting like asian designed car, X3 looks tipically like german suit. I’d prefer X3 M over Alfa (garbage) every single day of the year. Italian cars are pure garbage! Keep that in mind when comparing them to Germans. The same is with english brands Jaguars, Rovers, Astons they all are pure garbages. The best cars are Japan, German , American, Korean and French. END of the story. The Design is subjective thing. Personally I don’t like Alfa and Fiat they are mess.

7. Julien says:

I love the way they designed the rear and 3/4 rear of the Alfa so it looks like a coupe but thats all … the rest is X3 all the way !

8. Andrewthecarguy says:

BMWBLOG does the BEST photo comparisons in the business.
    Top!