BMWBLOG’s 1M European Delivery Experience: Day 1

bmwblog bmw 1m welt 53 750x500

And oh what a day. Our alarm was set for 07:00 and like a small child waking up for a trip to Disney Land, we weren’t bothered much by the obnoxious buzzing. It was time for my first trip to the Welt, and Horatiu’s third. Clearly, this is an experience that never gets old, and Horatiu did not complain of repetition.

Every moment in the Welt is impressive and meaningful in the context of your day; one earmarked as the day you bring home your new ‘baby.’ And today, we drove away in the new ‘baby M’ as some have coined it.

bmwblog bmw 1m 03 655x433

Think about it as a baby with very big, sharp teeth, a knarly growl and slanted, focused eyes. Oh – and about 340 pounds of muscle; a baby Great White shark of sorts. Well, ours wasn’t white – it was Valencia Orange, sparkling in the sunlight even from within the Welt’s towering glass walls.

However, there was a baby Great White with us, owned by Justin, a friend of a friend who decided to join us for his 1M pickup. Having the two cars delivered together was very special, and not just for photographic reasons. There was a certain intensity in the air. It was present the entire day. Double trouble? Nah, double the fun.

bmwblog bmw 1m 05 655x433

The day went well in every respect, following the normal BMW Welt delivery procedures: plenty of signatures upon arrival, followed by time in the hospitality lounge where we could enjoy good food , quality German beer (is there a German beer not of good quality?) coffee and deserts. You really begin to feel a bit spoiled during the delivery, and I believe that was BMW’s intention.

Finally, it’s time to meet your brand spanking new BMW. The odometer reads something in the realm of 1 mile. The paint is glossy and sparkling such that you nearly need your sunglasses to look at it. And when you open the door, a wonderful aroma of ‘new car smell’ envelops your nose and pleasures your senses. This… is going to be good. And so it was, setting off from the Welt to begin our European journey.

Our first destination was to Tirol, Austria where I’m writing our first installment from my Hotel room. The drive here, from the Welt, was truly one of the best I’ve ever had. There were many ‘firsts’ and ‘bucket list’ checkmarks completed along the way, starting with my first drive on an unrestricted Autobahn. While I held back in the interests of break-in, we still achieved triple digit speeds that would have had our car towed and license pulled had we been in North America. But that wasn’t even the best part. Pacing our friend in the Alpine White 1M, we happened upon a terrific Alpine road leading to our Hotel. Twisty in all the right ways, it served up the Cole’s Notes version of driving ecstasy. The narrow road was shiny from the fresh rain fall, and covered by a canopy of trees stretching out in front of us like a rustling green tunnel. The brawny and naked exhaust notes rang out into the mountains with every blip of the throttle and heel-and-toe downshift. Only now do I fully appreciate why it’s said that, “Life is in the journey, not the destination.”

Thus concludes day one of our European Delivery adventure. Join us tomorrow for our second, blissful day behind the wheel of the new 1M.

Special thanks to Manny Antunes at JMK BMW for setting us up with the 1M.

30 responses to “BMWBLOG’s 1M European Delivery Experience: Day 1”

1. Tzimmerman79 says:

This is news? Wuts so special about yet another 1 series M euro delivery? Seen it so much already. White one looks nice though.

• Chris1 says:

I’d be weird to drive around one.  People will think you were too poor to afford a ///M car and plastered aftermarket parts onto a 1-series.

• Horatiu B. says:

Not even sure how to reply to this one…

• Manny Antunes says:

Why even reply to trolls…

• Thomas says:

Horatiu, i drove by exact when you we’re taking pics outside – saw the two US 1Ms standing there and thought “some American guys pick up their new toys and will have some serious fun”. :-)
        Guess i wasn’t that wrong! But had no idea that it’s you.. should’ve come over and talk to you.
        Too bad my blue Z4’s not in the background!

Enjoy!

Thomas from Munich

• Horatiu B. says:

That’s too bad. Should have stopped by. We added logos to the car now so
          people know us :)

Horatiu Boeriu
          Editor-In-Chief
          BMWBLOG.com
          Facebook.com/bmwblog
          Twitter.com/bmwblog

• La Ma says:

How can u know so much about nothing ?  its the Dude’s 1M who created this place – the BMW-BLOG

can’t He gloat a little ? He deserves this and probably don’t even care what you write as long as you write :-) posts means traffic and he gets paid by the traffic. So keep on writing your BS , and still nobody cares !

Great post, love the pictures and the car as usual looks good. Its a shame what they did to the 1 series though. Although this was not a best looking car in a line-up it was decent, solid.
      The new 1 series looks like a patched up design. some of bangle’s gibberish on the front and some desperate copy of the hot hatches of today’s on the back, some decent lines here and there but not a solid, properly thought-out design.
      Oh well, focus on the 1M and those who can get it. congrats and wish you a safe and happy motoring with ur new car !

2. Tzimmerman79 says:

3. Hugo Becker says:

Well I’m jealous as all get out!! Have fun!!!

4. Very jealous! Thanks for the great pics and write up Shawn and Horatiu. Congrats on your new 1M, H!

5. Alen Residovic says:

Congratulations man! I wish you many smiles and miles with the car!! Beautiful color and car choice too!!! Best, Alen!

6. Andrew Nakhla says:

I remember when I was at the BMW Welt back in August. I wasn’t there to pickup a car but rather just check out the place.  I had planned on going there for a few hours to see the Welt and Musuem but ended up spending most of the day there. For a BMW enthusiast it is like being in heaven! It was there that I decided that I was for sure going to by my first BMW so I can pick it up at the Welt.

Congrats again Horatiu on getting the baby M, love the Valencia Orange color.

7. Did you guys let Matt drive at all? haha

8. James Bachici says:

Great write-up Shawn and excellent pictures! For a moment, I felt as if I was there with you guys! The Welt really is a surreal experience for any BMW fan and I can still recall the emotions that came over me when I spotted the 4 cylinders building for the first time rolling up on the escalators from the local U-Bahn when I lived in Munich back in 2009. I never wanted to leave!

I’m really glad you guys are there and living the experience! Make the most of it, take lots of pics at the M Festival and don’t forget to keep us all posted! Congrats H. on your brand new 1M!