There is a lot of ‘marketing lingo” in the 7 pages press release of the new BMW M5 Concept, so we decided to extract the useful information in a much cleaner format.
As we announced earlier today, BMW has previewed the new M5 Concept in front of a large group of journalists present at the M facility in Garching. The new M5 Concept is next heading for Shanghai, before its final stop at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.
Most of the technical details around the M5 engine are unknown at the moment, but here are some the information we pulled out of the press release:
- Subdued styling perhaps more than the E60
- First of the new generation M cars to adopt a turbocharged engine
- Better dynamics with likely a smaller engine footprint compared to the V10
- Double clutch transmission with drivelogic system similar to M3
- Torque vectoring differential – is this diff similar to a two wheeled version of what’s on the X6 M?
- Start/stop tech to improve the M5s fuel economy
- Less of an integrated exhaust and rear diffuser
- Front apron, designed exclusively for the BMW Concept M5,features three large air intakes, the dimensions which are precisely oriented towards the high cooling requirement of the engine and its ancillary components.
- Black grille sporting a honeycomb design
- 20-inch forged rims are fitted with tyre size 265/35 ZR20 at the front and 265/35 ZR20 at the back
discreet rear spoiler located on the boot lid serves to optimise the car’s aerodynamics
- Active M Differential
We expect BMW to unveil more information on the new M5 as we approach the Shanghai Motor Show.