2018 Geneva Motor Show: Live Photos Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door Coupe (X290)

Auto Shows | March 7th, 2018 by 19
Genf 2018 Mercedes AMG GT 4 Tuerer Coupe X290 Live 03 830x553

Four-door coupes with above-average performance are among the highlights of the 2018 Geneva Motor Show: The BMW M8 Gran Coupe Concept already provides a preview of what will roll in 2019 to the BMW M dealerships and into the garages of the first customers. The Swabian alternative to the four-door M8 is the Mercedes-AMG GT 4-door Coupé, which already celebrates its premiere in Geneva as a production vehicle and will be available this year.

Genf 2018 Mercedes AMG GT 4 Tuerer Coupe X290 Live 04 830x550

For the premiere in Geneva, Mercedes-AMG presents its four-door sports car in three stages. As an entry-level model, the Mercedes-AMG GT 53 4Matic+ with a straight-six engine and electric auxiliary compressor, providing 435 hp and 520 Newton meters of torque for propulsion – enough for a 4.5 seconds sprint and a maximum speed of 285 km/h.

Even more impressive are the performance of the stronger V8 models – 585 hp and 800 Newton meters are in the data sheet of the GT 63 4Matic +, which sprints in 3.4 seconds and reaches 310 km/h top speed. The top model, the Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4Matic +, delivers a whooping 639 hp and up to 900 Newton meters for another two-tenths of a second and 5 km/h faster.

Genf 2018 Mercedes AMG GT 4 Tuerer Coupe X290 Live 07 830x550

While the all-wheel drive 4Matic + with fully variable power distribution as well as a 9-speed automatic transmission are standard on board, there are other driving dynamics-relevant features available for a surcharge. Rear axle steering, drift mode and AMG Ride Control+ air suspension are standard on the V8 63 and 63 S models only.

The Mercedes-AMG GT 4-door coupe goes on sale in the summer of 2018.

[Photos: Bimmertoday]

19 responses to “2018 Geneva Motor Show: Live Photos Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door Coupe (X290)”

1. Icebreakerr says:

LMAO

• Central Lifestyle says:

Come on bro, at least it’s still better than Panamera and Audi A7

• Senne says:

You think so? I’m sad to say it, but I think the A7 is actually less ugly than this. The new Panamera for sure, that’s actually not that bad anymore. But this… Unbelievable.

• Central Lifestyle says:

Maybe not in exterior looks per se. But without having driven it, I believe AMG have engineered a more dynamic-driving car than the Audi A7, easily and hands down, and perhaps even the Panamera. And GT 4doors’ interior ergonomics appear better than the “touchscreen everything” in the Panamera. Given the choice of the three, I’d take the AMG over the Panamera and A7. But we all know the M8 GC will be the best in the segment soon as it arrives.

• Senne says:

Yes, naturally. I wouldn’t doubt a second that the AMG drives WAYS better than the A7. That’s still just an Audi after all. I was only talking about looks.

I would doubt that the AMG drives better than a Panamera, but couldn’t know since I haven’t driven either of them.

And indeed we would agree that the M8 GC is going to be superior to any of those cars when it hits the market. :) Can’t wait for that!

• Central Lifestyle says:

Well said. It’s just, having driven GLC Coupe 43 & 63s as well as tested Macan S/GTS/Turbo, I lean towards AMG over Porsche. There’s immense turbo lag in Macan S & GTS, and a bit in the Turbo. Somehow, AMG reduced it in the 43 and almost eliminated it in 63s. Driving was sharper in the AMGs, which surprised, being that a lot of reviews held Macan as the standard in segment. My calculation is, if AMG is now equal in driving dynamics to Porsche, then trumps it in power & torque but prices cheaper, then AMG has made the better car, no? All said, the outgoing X4, even in diesel 35d, is a cornering legend and sharper than both Porsche and Merc offerings. Shame its M40i version didn’t make it to U.K.

• Senne says:

Wow, thanks for that insight. It’s really sad to know that AMG has cars (any at all) that are more exciting to drive than the equivalent Porsches… :/ I mean a Porsche with noticeable turbo lag… Really?? Yes, I agree on the AMG being the better car if it’s both cheaper and equally as good to drive. And always good to hear that our beloved BMW brand can and does still create some of the best driving cars today! :) The new X3 and X4 are even better by a pretty large margin, if the reviews can be believed. And I have no trouble believing that actually. They are both gorgeous cars, inside and out and BMW has improved everything over the previous gen. Honestly, I can’t wait for the 8 Series to come out and demolish any competition!

• Central Lifestyle says:

Bro, for real, surprised me too. A fact that reviewers seemed to gloss over. Wonder if they got carried away by the Porsche badge. Turbo lag in Macan S was well obvious and in GTS, pretty noticeable. And you’re on point, new X4 (and X4M) will make quick work of the field. Are you more M8 than M8 GC? All my mates are of two minds.

• Senne says:

That’s a very tough question! I might say M8 Coupe because I would think it will be more dynamic to drive. On the other hand, I heard a lot of reviewers say that the M6 GC was better to drive than the M6 Coupe. So if they do the same thing, then obviously I’m more M8 GC than M8, simply because I do love the concept of a gorgeous, sleek looking 4-door Coupe. Otherwise I’d go for the Convertible, rather than the Coupe. I think. LOL Which one do you prefer?

• Central Lifestyle says:

Not going to lie, it’s going to be a tough decision for anyone to choose one. They all look so good. Looks like it’ll be one of those “‘gun to the head’ and forced to choose” type of decisions.

• Icebreakerr says:

is it true that the amg gt4 platform is based on the cls e class? and not the actual amg gts?

• Central Lifestyle says:

It’s absolutely true bro. It’s based on the E-Class platform. Tobias Moers (AMG boss) recently addressed this in Geneva. He made clear the platform has been heavily modified, re-engineered, and re-adapted to fit AMG’s advanced driving dynamics, even the suspension arms have been strengthened by 2 or 3 times so it’s not really anything like the regular eClass platform anymore.

2. Tumelo Malumane says:

I actually think it’s a good looking car, both the exterior and interior. I also like its 2017 Audi A3 facelift headlights. Lol

3. Central Lifestyle says:

You know what, this AMG GT 4doors is a very fine car, it’s just that the BMW 8GC, just unveiled, makes this AMG GT 4 doors look tame, and according to others, lame. All in all, not a bad one from AMG. I think BMW and AMG will both win in this category leaving the Panamera in trouble, no more “free money printing” for them. Audi A7 is in serious trouble. Even folks who want Tesla Model S may now consider holding out for a year or two before they go full plunge to electric.

4. Senne says:

It’s so ugly, it makes me laugh. LOL

5. Central Lifestyle says:

Appears Jaguar are also looking to joining this segment with an F-Type 4 door version. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/5dcf082a46f832d74281768ec3ef4aab5f85a4c4f7f4db0ffc8b492f4f669739.jpg

• Senne says:

Wow, damn that’s going to be an important one to look at, since the latest Jags are extremely good to drive apparently. And they look quite good as well. Is this a rendering? Or the real deal?

• Central Lifestyle says:

It’s a render from a reputable design firm whose previous Jaguar renders turned out to be similar to actual production’s design. Ian Callum (lead designer, Jaguar) confirmed they’re looking in that direction of 4 door sportback F-type.