Munich Police get the new F11 BMW 5 Series Touring

5-series | August 29th, 2011 by 20
BMW 5er Touring F11 Polizei Muenchen 02 750x500

BMW and Munich Police continue their long-term collaboration and the new F11 BMW 5 Series Touring will enter the Bavarian emergency fleet. The modern emergency …

The modern emergency vehicle feature a green and white paint job with reflective contour markings and inscriptions specially created by the BMW Group design team. The police flashing lights on the roof can be easily controlled using the iDrive controller. The cars also come equipped with front and rear view cameras.

While no longer available in the U.S., the BMW 5 Series Touring remains a popular choice among European customers. Considered a versatile and classy vehicle, the BMW 5 Series Touring is continuing its tradition with the latest model.

BMW 5er Touring F11 Polizei Muenchen 02 655x434

The design of the new BMW 5 Series Touring is characterized by dynamic and powerful looks. With its long bonnet, short overhangs and a steeply inclined roofline, the new BMW 5 Series Touring is one of the most beautiful Tourings ever to come out of BMW’s production lines.

In Germany, the F11 BMW 5 Series Touring starts at 42,600 euro, the 184 horsepower 520d model, followed by the cheapest petrol variant, BMW 523i with 204 horsepower which starts at 44,500 euro.

20 responses to “Munich Police get the new F11 BMW 5 Series Touring”

1. BMW Toronto says:

Wouldn’t want to be the person being pursued by this 5er fleet.

• La Ma says:

nah, the 520d is rather pedestrian.  but a great family car. My cousin just bought one, fully loaded incl. sat-nav, rear entertainment, leather, blue-tooth, 18″ rims,8 spd auto, etc.  nice car and great on fuel – did 49mpg on average when driving around to families but its no race car.  I however loved it as it is a great family car, quick and frugal enough for the everyday driving.  Power delivery is smooth and I never felt that it was lethargic or ran out of steam./ Max speed we got was just about 100mph and it felt stable and solid at that. It would be a perfect car for the us as well !

The 0-60 time is confusing and does not give you a full picture, as the car feels faster and also it is much better at the 30-80 mph range which is what we use most of the time anyway.
      Anything over 75mph drastically lowered the mpg so kept the speed around 75-80mph with some occasional burst on a long stretches.

overall I came away impressed and would love to order a 520d in the US. While I love the 335d and hopefully we will get the 535d, the best of the diesel is the small 4 cyl turbo unit.

• Chris says:

Haha! Max speed of the 520d is approx. 136 mph on the German Autobahn (own the car myself as station wagon). Plenty enough for US needs I’d say. Of course if you prefer more power I’d recommend the 530d or 535d. I think both of them are electronically limited to approx. 155mph. And they have plenty of power in the lower ranges as well even if purchased with the 8 speed automatic transmission.

2. Babken says:

Nice. The Audi A6 drivers will easily kick German cops’ asses.

3. wazon says:

@Babken: That exactly shows how crude you are. Kick ass with what? With A6 Avant 2.0TDi? Technical data say something opposite. With A6 2.8 Avant FSi? Hard to call 0,1 sec. advantage from Audi to be easy ass kicking, especially in circumstances, where 5-er handles better.

On the topic: I always wonder why German police needs such cars as 5-er. Most of other European police forces take no cars bigger than cars of 3-er size and honestly, it seems that they are big enough for police’s purposes. Strange funds spending, but police drivers need to be happy to get such cars anyway. :D

• Babken says:

This is where you suck. The A6 beats the 5 with any aspect, especially handling. Go and read some reviews, idiot.

• ///M-Technics says:

Go fuck yourself with you gayish Audi cars !!! Stop wasting our (and your) time. Noob!

• wazon says:

I did read few reviews and all of them agree on the point that 5-er is better in terms of handling and feeling, so who is the idiot then? 520d is even better than A6 2.0 TDi in your favourite category, namely straight-line acceleration, it’s 8,3 sec. vs. 9,0se. in favour of 520d. So, could you be more explicite about what these ALL RESPECTS are?

BTW, you proved your inability to read technical data with understanding again. It’s getting boringly pathetic.

• Rangegate says:

Children, children.  I assume based on behavior you are such.  It is interesting that people who know the least about their subjects are the most opinionated.

• wazon says:

You need not to be a children to feel that stupidity should be condemned, it’s akin to didactic verve.

I will pass over the rest of your post in silence.

4. wazon says:

5. Viper says:

that is Germany….and Munchen , FORCE!…..

6. LexusLVR says:

Poor move. These cars are going to be quite unreliable and always in the shop.

They should have seriously placed an order for an Infiniti M56 or the new Lexus GS with its powerful V6 and Hybrid engines. Reliable, good handling, good looks and fast. Be afraid criminals, be very afraid.

5er police car is a joke.

• wazon says:

How the hell do you know anything about reliability of these cars? It’s too early to say anything about their reliability. I bet that not many 5-er diesels are over 100.000km at the moment. But I completely don’t see any reason to believe that modern 2.0 litre diesel delivering slightly above 180hp will be unreliable, similar story goes for 3.0 litre n/a 204hp engine.

“Reliable, good handling and fast” Lesxus GS and Infinity M56? Is it joke? Where did you see good hangling Lexus GS – one of the most clamsy car in its class? As for reliability, Lexus recalls its cars almost every single month (which of course require to visit a shop (sic!)): http://lemonauto.com/complaints/1_lexus_recalls.htm .

• LexusLVR says:

How do I know about the reliability of these cars? Easy. It’s a BMW.

BMW.

BIG MONEY WASTER. The 5er has always been one of their most problematic cars. Man, even the E39 M5 had transmission issues after not even 25,000 miles.

• Chris says:

LOL I know, this thread is 3 years old but I find it amusing how a Toyota fanboy feels the need to bash a BMW just because they don’t like BMWs. I have a relatively humble 520d touring myself with tons of miles on it – only in the shop for regular service. Runs great like on the first day. Lexus cars don’t sell in Germany. At all. Noone wants them. I also don’t understand why you would like a Toyota with lipstick on if you can have a real nice middle class car from BMW, Audi or Mercedes. Driving my Bimmer on the Autobahn near max speed is always real fun for me. Not sure I’d trust my life to a Lexus driving at those high speeds for hours and hours.

7. Larry Cable says:

As a US 2010 535ix Sport Wagon, I wish BMW NA would bring this car back to the US (get rid of the GT)
    I dont know what I will replace it with when my lease runs out next year… no 5 series wagon, no more BMW!