At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michelin introduced the latest innovation from its Pilot Family of performance tires: the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 3+. Two years ago we were invited to NOLA Motorsports Park to test out the Pilot Sport A/S 3, and were amazed with its performance. Now Michelin engineers have enhanced the tire’s compound technology to improve its snow traction without sacrificing its already incredible wet and dry traction.
Continue Reading Below
- 28% better snow traction than the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3
- More dry grip than a leading competitive max performance summer tire
- The shortest wet and dry braking of leading competitive tires in the ultra-high performance A/S category
“All-season tires are known for being effective for three seasons, and in regions with light-to-moderate winter weather,” said Scott Clark, chief operating officer, Michelin North America. “For those considering high performance all-season tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ is the best choice as it combines breakthrough levels of dry and wet grip while providing great snow traction for true all-season performance.”
As a member of the Pilot Family, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ benefits from Michelin’s heritage in endurance racing and arsenal of technological innovations. Specifically, the new tire features:
- Michelin’s Helio+ Compound combined with unique biting edges in the tread grooves that grab loose snow to help acceleration and braking in winter conditions, resulting in confident mobility in cold and snow conditions.
- Variable Contact Patch 3.0, originally developed for endurance racing, which distributes the forces and temperatures more evenly over the contact patch. It is combined with an aggressive asymmetric tread pattern inspired by the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, simultaneously maximizing dry grip, wet grip and even wear.
- Extreme amounts of silica in the tread compound (derived from wet endurance race tire technology used at Le Mans) combined with variable thickness sipes and large circumferential grooves, resulting in incredible wet grip and resistance to hydroplaning in deep water.
“With the Michelin Pilot Family of ultra-high performance tires, we continuously merge the lessons derived from our global motorsports victories with our uncompromising standards for quality and safety,” added Clark. “Installing a set of tires from the Michelin Pilot Family is a simple way for driving enthusiasts to improve their vehicle’s performance.”
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ tire is designed, engineered and manufactured in North America. It will launch in March and eventually be available in 90 sizes, ranging from 175/65/R15 to 285/35/ZR20 with fitments for vehicles including the BMW M3, among other BMW models. Michelin will offer a limited 45,000-mile warranty and the product will start with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $149.
Read our full review of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 here.