Do you name your BMWs and what would you name yours?

Interesting | December 7th, 2015 by 18
1998 BMW 328i1 750x500

Vessels need to be named. It’s just the way of things. Sailors name their ships, pilots name their planes and drivers name their cars. It’s just something of a tradition. A lot of the time, cars, boats and planes are given female names. I’m not really sure as to why that is, but it’s the case with a lot of people. But car naming can get quite creative and might have to do with the car itself or maybe some kind of inside joke.

Personally, I only name cars that have a bit of personal history to them. Some people name every car that they have, some people only name special ones. If I were to group myself, I’d be in the latter group. My old E36 is named Layla, after the song, because that’s the song that was playing on my wife and I’s first date which we drove my car to. She actually ended up naming the car, but it stuck so that’s its name. However, I’ve also owned a Volkswagen Passat and that didn’t get a name because it was kind of boring and meaningless, so I just never felt that a name was necessary.

Valencia Orange BMW 1M On VMR Wheels 2 750x500

But sometimes, naming a car a personal name can be too emotional. Sometimes it’s best to give the car a funny name or a cool name. But sometimes names can get creepy or just stupid. If a guy has an SUV and he calls it the “Shaggin’ Wagon” or something like that, he’s just a creep. Or if someone names their car the “Mystery Mobile” they’re probably someone who needs to alert they’re neighbors every time they move. So naming a car can be tricky.

Another car-naming taboo is putting the name somewhere on the car. If it’s subtly and small, it’s not too bad. But putting “Knight Rider” on the side of your car probably isn’t a good idea. If you name your car, try and just keep it in spirit only.

But naming a car is a great way to feel connected to it. We, as car enthusiasts, know that cars aren’t just boxes of metal with four rubber circles at each corners. Well, some cars are (*cough* Toyota Camry *cough*). But many cars are almost like living beings. And those cars become personified by their owners, thus deserving a name. The only real issue with naming a car is when you finally have to let the car go, for whatever reason it might be, it makes it a bit more difficult.

So if you name your BMWs, what are their names? Or if you haven’t ever named a BMW but want to, what would you name it?

18 responses to “Do you name your BMWs and what would you name yours?”

1. Paul Brun says:

My car’s name is Smokey.

2. raleedy says:

Eften.

3. Alan says:

eMma (it’s a 1M coupé)

• Jeremy Snyder says:

i always wanted to get a vanity plate for a 1M or 135i that said, “1 FR TH RD” or “1 4 TH RD” or just “4 TH ROAD” or something… haha

4. kylecronin says:

No, I do not name my cars.

• Jeremy Snyder says:

ironically, i’ve named a few exgfs car names… can’t figure out why Grand Tourer, Mack Truck, and LaSabre don’t wanna remain friends…….. jk

5. Jeremy Snyder says:

My car’s name is “Charlotte”… named her after the city where I got my start working for BMW 10 years ago. I’ve always loved the E46 ZHP so I bought one about two years ago… was a manager’s personal car w/ $5k in Dinan tuning: high-flow throttle body, cold-air intake, front/rear racing braces, complete exhaust, Stage 2 software… upgraded the interior w/ carbon-fiber trim, replaced all speakers and added custom sub and iPhone dock / Sat radio through Bav Sound… finally, had the ZHP wheels powder-coated black… “Charlotte” is my affordable dream car, and I love her!! :-D

Next car will hopefully be a 340i w/ Dinan tuning… gonna keep “Charlotte” for another 2.5 years of law school before adding any more to my debt load though haha

• Jeremy Snyder says:

I bought “Charlotte” four ‘Sport Package’ wheels to use w/ Blizzak winter tires up in Buffalo, NY… Thankfully I was able to remove to NY state front license plate after relocating back to Charlotte, NC… looove the look of a Euro plate on a German car!!

6. […] Do you name your BMWs and what would you name yours? – But car naming can get quite creative and might have to do with the car itself or maybe some kind of inside joke. Personally, I only name cars that have a bit of personal history to them. Some people name every car … […]

7. […] Do you name your BMWs and what would you name yours? – Sailors name their … maybe some kind of inside joke. Personally, I only name cars that have a bit of personal history to them. Some people name every car that they have, some people only name special ones. If I were … […]

8. Spencer Ellis says:

I call her “Blue Steel”. Sadly, Blue Steel will be retiring soon. Damn good car.

9. Pierre says:

“Beast” is the name of my 2007 M5. Our 2012 X1 is “slinky” (don’t ask) and our new 2015 335i M Performance is yet unnamed but my wife keeps telling me to “call her Beauty”… that could take some time, if ever! Happy driving!

10. Matt Stokes says:

I let my god children name mine this time around, bit of a mistake, it’s called HashtagFreeze… because it’s Blue, and because Hashtag is a thing these days.

I do normally name them, my last E28 was called Diana, but pronounced like “Die on ya” as it had a persistent electrical issue.

11. Forty2 says:

2014 335i is “Pupsen” which means “fart” more or less in German. I just like the sound of it. My old Volvo is Mrs Klankenborg, or “Klanki” to her close friends.