Video: F10 BMW M5 vs Nissan GT-R

Videos | February 3rd, 2012 by 70
bmw m5 nissan gt r

What does the F10 BMW M5 and Nissan GT-R have in common? Many would say not too many things, but the folks at Autocar found a coupe of similarities, just enough for a head-to-head comparison: around 550 horsepower for both cars and a similar UK base price, 75,000 pounds.

BMW has moved on with the new F10 M5 from naturally aspirated engines to a TwinPower turbocharged V8. The high-revving 4.4-liter (4395cc) turbocharged uses the BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology, twin-scroll turbochargers, high-precision direct fuel injection, Valvetronic variable valve control and a cross-bank exhaust manifold. The super-M produces 560 horsepower from 5,750-7,000 rpm and 502 lb-ft of torque from only 1500rpm.

For 2013, Nissan offers a power upgrade for the GT-R. The engine now generates 545 horsepower and 463 lb-ft of torque — both going up by 15 from the 2012’s 530 and 448 — and produces higher end torque towards the 7000rpm redline. The 2013 revision also incorporates more efficient cooling ducts for the front brakes, slip-resistant seats, and a Track-Pack option that shaves over 200 pound in weight. The car still uses the same 3.8 liter twin-turbo DOHC 24-valve V6 engine.

bmw m5 nissan gt r

Which one takes the win? Let’s have a look.

70 responses to “Video: F10 BMW M5 vs Nissan GT-R”

1. pimeto says:

I just dont see the point of this comparison…  A super sports car – Nissan vs Sport Sedan – BMW ?
    What is the point, lol!

• Dimitrij says:

Ha ha ha, what is comparison!!! Bmw5 have a more than 200 kg more wight !!!! So, i am very interested for resolt if 2 people around a 100 kg seat in the GTR . Sorry for my english .

• Dimitrij says:

• Fredyschiftan says:

They do it just to sell the Silly magazine !!!!   weight difference about 500 k !!  ok lets see we have 5 people to take from a to b then the Nissan has to make 2 trips !!!   and leave one behind !!  Bmw 1 nissan 0 ,  come on bring your Infinity and compare !

• Dimitrij says:

If you saw this video ( first 25 sec) – nissan have a 1734 kg and bmw 1945 kg , so difference between 211 kg but not 500 !! But steel a 200 is a lot, when 2 peopple seat in gtr i thing gtr not will that quick like bmw. So i thing bmw will first. And why you think i have a infinity? I have e60 and i am very hapy!

2. pimeto says:

What is the point, lol!

3. Sandro Lorenzi says:

that is so stupid to compare the M5 with the GTR they are totally diferent cars kkkkkkkk i dont think i need to go oveer the body type and everything else do i ???

4. Sandro Lorenzi says:

5. ///M says:

How can they compare a M5 to a GTR?? Definitely different class…idiot…
    If M5 can beat GTR in performance ways then Nissan can stop producing GTR already…nuts head

• Fredyschiftan says:

This is the worst and most poor comparison ever done!  next Fiat Panda vs Bugatti veyron just like he said ”  I woke up one morning and thought How come no one did this before!!”   Very poor judgement and stupid Video .

6. Alvin Wong says:

Everyone is definitely right about this being an apples vs. oranges comparison, but I still find it interesting how two cars with different performance classes and priorities compare to each other. Just take it with a grain of salt. ;)

7. Alvin Wong says:

8. BMWKILLSAUDI says:

STUPID COMPARRISON BUT ID STILL TAKE THE BMW.

9. BMWKILLSAUDI says:

STUPID COMPARRISON BUT ID STILL TAKE THE BMW.

10. Xandonia says:

These are totally different cars, I love the GTR and the M5 but the M5 is supposed to be a 4 door sedan with tons of power and dynamics that you can take it to the track while the GTR is a track car on the road with no practicality.

11. Xandonia says:

12. BMW The Best says:

This is exactly when I say: IT’S A SHAME that BMW don’t dare to produce supercars.

13. Tomas says:

there should be M3 instead M5

14. Tomas says:

there should be M3 instead M5

15. fruneed says:

what a stupid ridiculous comparision Porky English!…..who in this world compare a coupe less weigth with a super saloon!!….M6 must win GTR…..M6 MUST BE A SUPERCAR…

16. fruneed says:

17. Trillionblaze says:

on the issue of a supercar, there is no need. Just the respect BMW gives is enogh  to drive 1, speep speed, how long can the  Nissan even last. BMW: the ultimate

• LaMa says:

GTR will last a lot longer then the M5.  The M5 will puke its electronics out when the GTR will still have all the buttons working.  No offense, BMW’s are great cars but their electronics sux.

• LaMa says:

18. Strictlydynamite says:

stupid comparison, a sports saloon vs a sports coupe. Id take the m5 any day, better economy, so much more practical for everyday driving (throw your family in it, baby seats, shopping, oh and take it to the track! Whereas the nissan is a amazing car, its no more practical than most supercars..
    I’ve said it once and ill say it again… Bmw make ordinary cars WITH extraordinary engines!

Next time compare a coupe to a coupe, and saloon with saloon, come on the m5 weighs like 180kg more! so for the sake of 2 secs behind the nissan, that’s pretty impressive!

19. Mohammed Ali says:

Guys I know were all Beemer fans here … my favorite car growing up was a 350z but then I drove a couple of beemers and i was in love. BUT when it comes to numbers the Gtr eats it alive.
    BTW I know they’re different classes but you can’t ignore the Gtr,

20. Mohammed Ali says:

BTW I know they’re different classes but you can’t ignore the Gtr,

21. StraightSix says:

For any normal person BMW M5 is fast enough, more than fast enough, it’s a damn suicide to drive recklesly these monsters.

22. StraightSix says:

23. Mateo says:

i agree this is stupid comparison but BOTH CARS COSTS THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    a tuned 550i and unique build supercar for same price? I’ll take GTR anytime. Its amazing car while F10 is just a car. To show you what i mean: If someone tells me to take brand new gtr or brand new E60 M5 i would take E60 m5 because that was a special car while f10 m5 sucks, it has no soul, is it fast, yes but today hatchbacks go from 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds (AUDI RS3).

24. Mateo says:

i agree this is stupid comparison but BOTH CARS COSTS THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Ts Jakobsen says:

hehe funny test… But try to measure, daliy stuf… 4 in the car, fuel comsumption. ext. but the Nissan is a high performens car do not forget that..I love the M5 and I would chose the BMW for the Nissan, but not for a track day…? but in general. And I belive they have nearly the same price. so the test is fair enough. but the M5 is build for another purpose.

26. Ts Jakobsen says:

27. Zumit says:

Very interesting comparison of dissimilarities. Both are very respectable cars in every aspect. But one thing to take from this comparison is that M5 needs to be compared with something outside its class to be outclassed

28. Zumit says:

29. BMWexpert says:

Well most of the GTR fans laugh at the M5..but dont be fooled..the M5 secret weapon is the top end power , yes the GTR kills the M5 from the dig..but from rolling and top end speeds..M5 walks the GTR , like the E60 did it against the MK1 GTR.M-division sedan keeps up with Nissans Supercar , now that’s called super saloon car.Sorry for my bad english

30. BMWexpert says:

31. Well comparing a lighter 2 door super car to a heavy weight super sedan isn’t a legitimate comparison. However take the speed limiter off the M5 and that extra power and torque will beat the GTR on a Top speed run. Not to mention the BMW is more of a everyday drivers car as well.

32. BMWF10M5Lover says:

It is truly unfair and doesn’t make sense to arrange for such a comparison between a super sport car and a premium sport sedan highly admired by all who tested it since launched (BMW F10M5). Okay,  if they care for the performance only, they can go with the NISSAN, but the magnificent harmony BMW created in this M5 is incredible. I mean the aestheticism of interior and exterior design paired with V8 engine, 7 speed DTC A/T makes the whole thing extremely favorable.

33. Viper says:

what is this?

34. Giom says:

I just watched a comparo review done by Chris Harris. Same two cars, realistic conclusion. This is what auto journalism should be, Autocar! Link is at Autoblog dot com. Brilliant video!

35. Francisco_csta_pinto says:

How about a fair comparison like M5 vs E63 AMG ???  It’s just like comparing the 320d with a Mercedes VITO… maybe they have similar engines but… Ridiculous!

36. dardata says:

Stupid comparison…How can they compare…? Really you BMW fanboyz can be sickening! I dont know who are worst – BMW or Apple fanboyz… I thought this was a great comparison as everything is relative. It also poses a few questions about bang for your buck. Im always curious to what turly justifies the major price difference between high end cars – so why is the almighty M5 with virtually the same price as the GTR, so inferior in performance to the GTR. Don’t get me started on the option gouging by BMW and I wouldnt be surprised if the GTR is 10k cheaper than the “indomitable” M5. There would’ve been a different tune if the M5 kept up with the GTR -“BMW is the best, GTR is overatted…blah…blah”. For the record I like BMW, but if I could only afford one of these cars there is no way that I would bypass the GTR for a M5! You mean to tell me I can pay < 100k and annihilate and at the very least duplicate the performance of virtually any supercar on the planet – while using it as a daily driver! I guess this is the difference between a true enthusiast and a brand whore!

37. dardata says:

38. DJEriq says:

@BMW The Best, BMW is working on a super car, what’s the rush? When that thing comes out it will rape the the crappy GTR and the Lexus LFA, it will also cost more than $500,000. I don’t know why BMW is comparing it’s cars with a Nissan??? Lol! I don’t care if the GTR had 2,000 hp at the end of the day it’s just a Nissan. Also in 10 years the trans will be the first to go, followed by other mechanicals, the GTR is for those idiots that never get enough attention at home. If I had an option to choose between two free cars, that being a GTR or a 2003 BMW M3, you guessed it I would take the M3 in a split second. ;P

39. DJEriq says: